Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I wasn't judging his character. I was judging his life balance between sports and everything else and deeming it obviously skewed due to the nature of his screen name. Get it right. He may be a good, upstanding citizen. Some sports fans are. It's just that most of them have skewed value systems.
Your screen name references a specific ethnicity. Does that mean you are probably prejudiced against all other ethnic groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 03:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan
My issue is you get all "bent out of shape" when we point out you are making assumptions-but you have no issues making them yourself and then defending them to death even when others have accurately refuted them.
-Arlington Heights-too much crime NO
-too crowded? Maybe, but it's not downtown

What are you talking about? A suburb of Chicago? I wasn't talking about suburbs.-Since I live in a suburb then why did you assume I live in Chicago?

Quote:
-Obama? election results indicate he never has garnered 100% fo the vote

Proof that at least some people still possess functioning brains. But you have to admit, Cook County (Chicago's home) and Illinois as a state went "blue" in the last election. Sad.-Many split ticket and Republican voters in Cook. Did I miss the "study" that proved that those who voted for Obama were less intelligent than those who did not? It's POV like yours above that needlessly increases the rancor in our civility and government.

Quote:
-Screen name- My tweak to the status quo; in Chicago your supposed to be a Cubs OR Sox fan and I'm both.

Says who, you're supposed to be a fan of whomever? If what you say is true, it just proves my point about sports fans generally having skewed value systems. Some don't, but if a city would dictate which team you're supposed to follow, by booing you whenever you follow any rival team, that's a skewed value system. Can't people just watch the game for its entertainment value and let that be that?
Sure, a great deal of us do. If I attend a game in person is that "fanaticism"? If I enjoy discussing the game or team with friends, is that? If I listen to sports radio, is that?
Quote:
Your mantra of "All sports bad", "All arts good" is irritating.

You haven't been paying attention to me. Sports are good, sports FANATICISM is bad. I've played lots of sports and always enjoyed playing. I still lift weights... that's a sport... it's good exercise. I am seeking an area that is not void of sports, but is void of rabid sports fanaticism. How would kids exercise if they didn't play sports to some extent? Plenty of places here and elsewhere in the US that are void of "rabid sports fanaticism" at least by my definition.

Quote:
And I'm "tweaking" you for your use of absolutes in your arguments.

Thanks, Dad.You're welcome "son".

Quote:
I am an everything in moderation guy (except for my rabid cycling obsession-that's another topic)and I say academics, arts AND sports are important and choosing one at the exclusion or expense of another is wrong.

At least we agree to an extent on this.I still don't see where you have room in your views for moderate fans. Seemingly, what I see as moderation is fanaticism in your mind.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Your screen name references a specific ethnicity. Does that mean you are probably prejudiced against all other ethnic groups?
You ask a question about "probably"? Good grief.

And no, I am not prejudiced against all other ethnic groups. I see things for what they are. Any feelings I have which whiny liberals would condemn as "racist" or "ethnicist" are based in pure provable fact... which is exactly why it's condemned by whiny liberals, the one group of people known to have universal disdain for pure provable fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
-Since I live in a suburb then why did you assume I live in Chicago?
I didn't assume anything about where you live. I assumed that Chicago was not a place where I'd find a relative dearth of sports fans, given how they're "supposed to be fans of the Cubs and White Sox".

Quote:
-Many split ticket and Republican voters in Cook. Did I miss the "study" that proved that those who voted for Obama were less intelligent than those who did not? It's POV like yours above that needlessly increases the rancor in our civility and government.
No, but you may have missed the study that concluded that approximately 70% of people with annual incomes below $30,000/year voted for Obama, whereas approximately 70% of people with annual incomes above $30,000/year voted for McCain. Now I ask you this... what is more likely? People of high intelligence being poor and people of low intelligence being rich.......... or people of low intelligence being poor and people of high intelligence being rich?

Quote:
Sure, a great deal of us do. If I attend a game in person is that "fanaticism"? If I enjoy discussing the game or team with friends, is that? If I listen to sports radio, is that?
The definition of fanaticism is subjective, but it would be universally accepted that anyone who spends lots of money and time on something is obsessed with it or fanatical about it. And honestly, I think that attending a major league game in person, for which you paid for the ticket, is a major clue about being a fanatic... especially since you can watch the game on TV for free and get a better view too. I have attended some sporting events but I have never paid for them because I've been given tickets. And when I go, I don't care who wins. I just want to see an entertaining game. I don't shout when any team scores, I don't boo when any person does something, it's all about entertainment.

Quote:
Plenty of places here and elsewhere in the US that are void of "rabid sports fanaticism" at least by my definition.

Please do list them. That was the point of this thread.

Quote:
I still don't see where you have room in your views for moderate fans. Seemingly, what I see as moderation is fanaticism in your mind.
Perhaps. Maybe I've just never met one... but I've encountered many different people in my lifetime and if there were moderate fans, one would think I'd have met one by now. The average sports fan is like the dude who called me this past weekend to talk about drum lessons for his kid and interrupted our call more than once to shout "GO! GO! GO! YYYEEEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!" at the TV (which he obviously couldn't shut off for even five minutes while he makes a call about something important to his kid).

Last edited by RomaniGypsy; 11-11-2011 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-11-2011, 10:14 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
RomaniGypsy,

You have shown time and time again you don't know anything about the "average" sports fan. So please stop applying that term to your bizarre, extreme examples, that probably never happened.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
RomaniGypsy,

You have shown time and time again you don't know anything about the "average" sports fan. So please stop applying that term to your bizarre, extreme examples, that probably never happened.
I am only asking you this out of sheer morbid curiosity, given that you have shown time and time again that you have little practical wisdom to impart to this conversation... and also because it is possible, though not really probable, that the average sports fan is much more tame than the average sports fan from every state in which I have ever lived.

In your opinion, what would describe the "average" sports fan?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
You ask a question about "probably"? Good grief.

And no, I am not prejudiced against all other ethnic groups. I see things for what they are. Any feelings I have which whiny liberals would condemn as "racist" or "ethnicist" are based in pure provable fact... which is exactly why it's condemned by whiny liberals, the one group of people known to have universal disdain for pure provable fact.

I didn't assume anything about where you live. I assumed that Chicago was not a place where I'd find a relative dearth of sports fans, given how they're "supposed to be fans of the Cubs and White Sox".

No, but you may have missed the study that concluded that approximately 70% of people with annual incomes below $30,000/year voted for Obama, whereas approximately 70% of people with annual incomes above $30,000/year voted for McCain. Now I ask you this... what is more likely? People of high intelligence being poor and people of low intelligence being rich.......... or people of low intelligence being poor and people of high intelligence being rich?

The definition of fanaticism is subjective, but it would be universally accepted that anyone who spends lots of money and time on something is obsessed with it or fanatical about it. And honestly, I think that attending a major league game in person, for which you paid for the ticket, is a major clue about being a fanatic... especially since you can watch the game on TV for free and get a better view too. I have attended some sporting events but I have never paid for them because I've been given tickets. And when I go, I don't care who wins. I just want to see an entertaining game. I don't shout when any team scores, I don't boo when any person does something, it's all about entertainment.

Please do list them. That was the point of this thread.

Perhaps. Maybe I've just never met one... but I've encountered many different people in my lifetime and if there were moderate fans, one would think I'd have met one by now. The average sports fan is like the dude who called me this past weekend to talk about drum lessons for his kid and interrupted our call more than once to shout "GO! GO! GO! YYYEEEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!" at the TV (which he obviously couldn't shut off for even five minutes while he makes a call about something important to his kid).
Arlington Heights is a town with moderate fans. We support academics like Debate Teams, music-our middle school orchestra and band have gone to state recently and the HS Pops Concert was sold out, and we support sports. I watch Bears games on TV., but I DVR most of them so I can skip commercials and watch when it's convenient. I watch an occasional college football game and a moderate amount of hockey games. They do not cause me to work my schedule around the games and they do not dominate my conversations. The only time it gets more passionate is when the teams make the playoffs. We spend much more time discussing politics, the economy, history, family activities and current events.
You seem sensitized by RUDE sports fans (I find them annoying as Hades also) and are lumping moderate fans in with rude fans.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:58 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,269 times
I think most cities care about sports...But, a lot of cities have areas that ignore sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports