Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Serena Williams acts like a spoiled brat. She needs to show more class and self-control on the court. However, her behavior is no worse than any other spoiled tennis brat throughout the years (e.g. John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors).
Exactly skye, It's not just Serena there is plenty of players past and present who act in a similar way, some people would say it's passion and 'in the heat of the moment' and some people would say it is a arrogant and a lack of discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Exactly skye, It's not just Serena there is plenty of players past and present who act in a similar way, some people would say it's passion and 'in the heat of the moment' and some people would say it is a arrogant and a lack of discipline.
Did any of those others ever threaten the official with physical violence and appeared to be hyped up on steroids?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 AM

She's a American tennis legend and yeah maybe she was wrong the way she acted to the official, but some of the comments I read about her here are crazy 'hyped up on steroids'? c'mon give her a break yeah she was out of order and should be disciplined more harshly, but she's an American sporting great, Americans especially should give her a break and lay of the personal attacks.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
Quote:
Calm yourselves down lol she only got angry and had an outburst its not the end of the world, nice to see how Americans turn when there stars aren't winning any more!
I actively root against almost all american playes b/c the hype and excuse-making, "homer" announcers in america are the worst.

tennis is a great sport and great regarding sport to commercial ratio (NFL is 60% commercials) but I get so sick of all the hype and concentration. Andy Roddick - can't stand him, but hey, you don't have to actually win anything to be loved by the US media and there's so much money in the game he's set for life so I do sometimes wonder the motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
she's a disgrace to the sport of tennis, to all athletes and to women everywhere. Maybe she needs anger management classes. Threatening officials is not cool-ever. And she doesn't know when to just shut the heck up and let it go. She deserved a ban for this one. And that paultry 2000 buck fine is a laugh.
tried to rep but I can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Serena Williams acts like a spoiled brat. She needs to show more class and self-control on the court. However, her behavior is no worse than any other spoiled tennis brat throughout the years (e.g. John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors).
big difference is the technology we have today limits the vast majority of the the need to by hyper-aggresive and confrontational about calls. If MacEnroe played today he wouldn't be the same player behavior wise. No doubt. He'd have no choice.

bottom line: the call by the referee was correct, USTA said so. and she wasn't even right about Eva being the "one who screwed her over before" and "had it out for her"

Serena is wrong, and to threaten physical violence multiple times, sorry, I ain't cheering for her just because our passports look alike.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
I've pretty much tuned Serena's post-tantrum explanations out. She's a fascinating athlete to watch, but she's had plenty of time to learn how to behave herself by now.

Congratulations to Australia, Serbia and Spain for having produced class acts like Sam Stosur, Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal. They, not Serena, made the U.S. Open women's and men's finals a pleasure to watch.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM

And congratulations to the UK's Oliver Golding for winning the boys final. With him, Laura Robson who won the Wimbledon girls final a few years ago and Heather Watson who won the US open a few years ago also, the future is looking bright for the UK for once!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
What does her being American have to do with my supporting her and her ghetto behavior? If someone's an a$$ I shouldn't be required to support that person simply because of their nation of birth. This isn't the Olympics or the world cup. She's not representing USA, she's playing for herself and money, nothing else.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What does her being American have to do with my supporting her and her ghetto behavior? If someone's an a$$ I shouldn't be required to support that person simply because of their nation of birth. This isn't the Olympics or the world cup. She's not representing USA, she's playing for herself and money, nothing else.
although I would gladly sign a petition giving my OK if another country is vying for her citizenship.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 AM

Her ghetto behavior? That's a bit extreme and just wrong, I have watched her interview etc she seems like a decent down to earth girl, yeah she has lost in in a few matches, It wouldn't bother me that much giving all the years of success and good behavior she has had.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Quote:
Her ghetto behavior? That's a bit extreme and just wrong, I have watched her interview etc she seems like a decent down to earth girl, yeah she has lost in in a few matches, It wouldn't bother me that much giving all the years of success and good behavior she has had.
It's not wrong, Serena displayed ghetto behavior, this however isn't saying she is ghetto. Understand the difference?

Her "reasoning", if one can call it that, was erratic and illogical, verbally intimidating the umpire with insults, and staring her down between points is ghetto as ghetto can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports