Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times

Advertisements

If a white girl done the same would you call it ghetto behavior, or 'trashy' or 'arrogant'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 05:20 AM

863 posts, read 2,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
It's not wrong, Serena displayed ghetto behavior, this however isn't saying she is ghetto. Understand the difference?

Her "reasoning", if one can call it that, was erratic and illogical, verbally intimidating the umpire with insults, and staring her down between points is ghetto as ghetto can get.
Whatever. That's semantics. The only reason that word is trotted out is because she is black. I've been watching tennis since I was a child and Serena's ridiculous tirade is not even close to some of the meltdowns I've seen. Broken racquets, thrown tennis balls, screaming at the top of lungs at umps and line judges, profanity, etc. was not introduced into the sport by Serena Williams. She's not the first, worst, nor the last.

McEnroe defended her actions? Is that "ghetto", too?

Last edited by skyeINIL; 09-16-2011 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
If a white girl done the same would you call it ghetto behavior, or 'trashy' or 'arrogant'?
I would still call it ghetto. Ghetto behavior can be exhibited by all different kinds of people from different backgrounds. That term, I use indiscriminately. Of course you making some kind of distinction there is telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Quote:
It's not wrong, Serena displayed ghetto behavior, this however isn't saying she is ghetto. Understand the difference?

Her "reasoning", if one can call it that, was erratic and illogical, verbally intimidating the umpire with insults, and staring her down between points is ghetto as ghetto can get.
Whatever. That's semantics.
It's more like understanding what people say rather than presume what people mean.

Quote:
The only reason that word is trotted out is because she is black.
No, it isn't because she's black, it was her behavior. But you won't believe that because you've got an issue to push, guns a blazin'.

Quote:
I've been watching tennis since I was a child and Serena's ridiculous tirade is not even close to some of the meltdowns I've seen. Broken racquets, thrown tennis balls, screaming at the top of lungs at umps and line judges, profanity, etc. was not introduced into the sport by Serena Williams. She's not the first, worst, nor the last.
We're not talking about "them", we're talking about Serena. Of course I see where you want to go with this, making generalizations of so called "truths" from one incident. Faulty argument is faulty argument, be more specific.

Quote:
McEnroe defended her actions? Is that "ghetto", too?
I would not call McEnroe defending her behavior ghetto, I would call it stupid though. I know what you're going to reply with, and no, it isn't because he's white. McEnroe has displayed ghetto behavior in the past and he's done it more than Serena, I would not call McEnroe a ghetto person nor would I Serena. There is a distinction.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Serena exhibits bad behavior intentionally then dares someone to call her on it so she can yell "RACISM". Tennis is a gentleman(ladies) sport. She full well knows that. The William's are all about pushing the boundaries on many levels on the courts. Controversy works well for them. I grow weary of it. I don't tune in for those antics.
I will repeat myself----it is not cool nor appreciated nor welcomed for Serena to threaten multiple on- court officials. Three strikes and she should be ousted.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
she seems like a decent down to earth girl,
You clearly do not know what you are talking about and have fallen for the act - the sweet voice which is as fake as it comes. People who've worked at the USO say that family has been a problem for years with their 'attitude.' Her father is a large part of the problem. His crap attitude has rubbed off on everyone in that family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Serena exhibits bad behavior intentionally then dares someone to call her on it so she can yell "RACISM". Tennis is a gentleman(ladies) sport. She full well knows that. The William's are all about pushing the boundaries on many levels on the courts. Controversy works well for them. I grow weary of it. I don't tune in for those antics.
I will repeat myself----it is not cool nor appreciated nor welcomed for Serena to threaten multiple on- court officials. Three strikes and she should be ousted.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-17-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
I would still call it ghetto. Ghetto behavior can be exhibited by all different kinds of people from different backgrounds. That term, I use indiscriminately. Of course you making some kind of distinction there is telling.

It's more like understanding what people say rather than presume what people mean.

No, it isn't because she's black, it was her behavior. But you won't believe that because you've got an issue to push, guns a blazin'.

We're not talking about "them", we're talking about Serena. Of course I see where you want to go with this, making generalizations of so called "truths" from one incident. Faulty argument is faulty argument, be more specific.

I would not call McEnroe defending her behavior ghetto, I would call it stupid though. I know what you're going to reply with, and no, it isn't because he's white. McEnroe has displayed ghetto behavior in the past and he's done it more than Serena, I would not call McEnroe a ghetto person nor would I Serena. There is a distinction.
I think the difference here is that I see Serena's actions as though she is just another spoiled tennis player (which she is) whereas others single her out as if she's an anomaly. I talk about "them" because in my eyes "they" (meaning spoiled, volatile tennis players throughout the years) are all the same to me.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You clearly do not know what you are talking about and have fallen for the act - the sweet voice which is as fake as it comes. People who've worked at the USO say that family has been a problem for years with their 'attitude.' Her father is a large part of the problem. His crap attitude has rubbed off on everyone in that family.
If you think that the Williams family is a "problem" (the dad is a nut), you should look up the parents of Jelena Dokic, Maria Sharapova, or even Andre Agassi. And my personal favorite, Mary Pierce's dad.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
The parents of Dokic, Sharapova, Pierce, and Agassi are no longer a problem in tennis now. Richard Williams, however, still trys to rile things up so often with comments.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
The parents of Dokic, Sharapova, Pierce, and Agassi are no longer a problem in tennis now. Richard Williams, however, still trys to rile things up so often with comments.
Aaaaand, soon enough Richard Williams will no longer be a problem in tennis and some other jackass will take his place.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Aaaaand, soon enough Richard Williams will no longer be a problem in tennis and some other jackass will take his place.
Not that soon. Venus and Serena aren't gonna retire anytime soon, so you'll pretty much only hear about Richard for quite a few more times....or a few more years i should say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports