Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
As a Syracuse basketball fan. I honestly don't know what to think of this. I am torn. I thought the Big East was the best conference in basketball over the last five years without a doubt. I don't understand the logic and I am trying to. If the Big East was already the cream of the crop, it must be about ratings, politics and money. Having said that, I can't wait to see my Orange beat up on North Carolina like they did two years ago. lol. Wishful thinking since that nucleus is no longer in tact and most likely Carolina will be stronger. If all of what we're hearing regarding Notre Dame, and UConn then I'm all for it. I have always liked Uconn second to any other team but Syracuse. And I love Calhoun as a coach. I would like to see those two teams added, so that it will feel more like the Big ACC...

Still trying to comprehend what just happened. I will say that I will sorely miss the rivalries between Syracuse and Georgetown and Syracuse and Villanova..Damn shame. My personal opinon is that the Big East conference was getting to good for its own good and teams like Duke and NC from the ACC felt slighted. It's well known that Boheim and Coach K have a great relationship and I'm sure that has alot to do with their moving. They've coached together and have the utmost respect for each others programs...

But at the end of the day, I don't really know what to think. Will Syracuse and Pitt have to sit out a season since they are supposed to give a 25 month notice? How will this work? Not much speculation on it on Espn over the weekend, since it was all about college football and pro football. Impatiently waiting to find out if I am going to see my team play this year...

Smp

This had little if anything to do about various basketball programs. It's about TV revenue dollars. The ACC is and has been a larger generator of TV revenue than the Big East, especially when tallied with football results. Syracuse and Pitt bring strong football and basketball programs to the ACC as well as strong fan bases which equal big TV dollars. I would bet that UConn and Rutgers make the jump as well, since the ACC commissioner made the announcement that the conference was fine with 14 members but was leaving the door open for two more by saying the league was "open to expansion to 16". Rutgers and UConn would be a perfect fit in terms of geography, academics, fan base and program competitiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This had little if anything to do about various basketball programs. It's about TV revenue dollars. The ACC is and has been a larger generator of TV revenue than the Big East, especially when tallied with football results. Syracuse and Pitt bring strong football and basketball programs to the ACC as well as strong fan bases which equal big TV dollars. I would bet that UConn and Rutgers make the jump as well, since the ACC commissioner made the announcement that the conference was fine with 14 members but was leaving the door open for two more by saying the league was "open to expansion to 16". Rutgers and UConn would be a perfect fit in terms of geography, academics, fan base and program competitiveness.

I know that and we all know that now. We've had more coverage. It is all about football suposively. I still think there is some merit to how strong the Big east was getting. But yes, it's all about football. Which I don't even care about in that conference. The Big East is and was a weak football conference, but so is the ACC in my book. The Big ten, Pac 12, Sec, etc are the far superior football conferences.

I am a weird fan anyway. I love Syracuse basketball. It is my team and always will be. However, I could care less about Syracuse basketball because I am a die hard Michigan fan. How can that be? I myself don't know. I just know that I bleed blue and orange but in different sports. As much as I love the "Big Blue" I could care less about the Wolverines basketball program. The same can be said for the Orange..

I don't think that's so absurd though. People who love basketball and football both and who like North Carolina or Duke for basketball I'm sure many of them like another school for football. Even though NC isn't that bad in football the last couple of years, their program is obsolete in the football world.

At the end of the day it all comes down to money, much like everything else. I feel for West Virginia they are strong in both sports but because of their demographics they are getting screwed. The SEC and ACC wouldn't take them. That's b.s. in my book. They are a good school and their getting screwed the most of any other school..

Now I hear the Pac-12 is not going to accept any other schools. What if this happens with other conferences. The rest of the Big east as well as the Big 12 will merge with the leftovers. Which would still be a pretty strong conference. Their leftovers are no slouch..

Old 09-21-2011, 02:24 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Quote:
The rest of the Big east as well as the Big 12 will merge with the leftovers. Which would still be a pretty strong conference. Their leftovers are no slouch..
Big 12 will stop at ten.

Quote:
Dodds said he would push to add at least one team to the Big 12, and that he prefers a 10-member league because it allows for total round-robin play in football, double round-robin play in basketball, and “a clear path to the (BCS) championship game.”

“Nine works, but I’ve always liked 10,” Dodds said.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
The rest of the Big east as well as the Big 12 will merge with the leftovers. Which would still be a pretty strong conference. Their leftovers are no slouch..
That's not happening thankfully. It would have been a weird conference with no new rivalry potential outside some of the pre-existing ones and strange geography (look at a map).

From an article released last night (NJ.com):

When it appeared the Big 12 might lose as many as four schools and that Rutgers and Connecticut were looking elsewhere, the Big 12 and Big East discussed a possible merger. That merger died from lack of mutual interest, with Pernetti indicated earlier in the day that geography was a major stumbling block. "If you’re going to geographically disjoint conferences you’re talking about field hockey, soccer and lacrosse traveling halfway across the country to play," he said. With the Big East appearing to be reeling as recently as two days ago, Rutgers had discussions with both the Big Ten and ACC while Connecticut tried to drum up ACC interest. But with the Big Ten making virtually no expansion noise, at least not publicly, the majority of the conference raiding may be done for now. The only league with an unbalanced number when everything settles will be the SEC when Texas A&M becomes its 13th school.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
If the ACC wants to add 2 schools and have one of them be Notre Dame, you might as well really shoot for the stars and aim for Penn State as the other school.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:17 AM

77 posts, read 152,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
If the ACC wants to add 2 schools and have one of them be Notre Dame, you might as well really shoot for the stars and aim for Penn State as the other school.
I hope that it can happen. PSU makes a ton of cash in the Big Whatever Conference. The ACC would be the best hands down if they landed PSU and ND. The football schools would
be happy to have those brand names in the conference and basketball would be insane.

Please take the ACC basketball tournament out of Greenville and put it in NYC, Philly, or DC.

Last edited by •|~; 09-30-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports