Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:44 AM

6,165 posts, read 7,247,538 times

Advertisements

Two more Big East teams move to the ACC. Syracuse and Pittsburgh are join the ACC. school presidents held a meeting at the ACC Headquarters in Greensboro, North Carolina.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...rgh-panthers/1

Pittsburgh, Syracuse headed to the Atlantic Coast Conference : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/09/18/article/pittsburgh_and_syracuse_are_headed_to_the_atlantic _coast_conference - broken link)

Looks like they are going to have to make some room at the ACC Hall of Champions in Greensboro, NC

Current ACC schools:

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

There are rumors that the Texas Longhorns and Notre Dame could join the ACC later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM

Rumor has it UConn may leave the Big East and jump ship to the ACC. The Big East is clearly falling apart. The Big Easy already lost several schools to the ACC. In all, Ten schools have expressed interest in joining the ACC. We know Syracuse and Pittsburgh are moving and we have just learned that Texas, Notre Dame and now Uconn have been talking with the ACC. This is a big shake up in college sports. The just ACC may become the ultimate superconference.

Jeff Jacobs: UConn Must Act Quickly As Big East Collapses - Courant.com

UPDATE: sources say WVU and Rutgers wants to join the ACC

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/09/18/article/pittsburgh_and_syracuse_are_headed_to_the_atlantic _coast_conference (broken link)

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-18-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,089,164 times
The more likely add-ons from the Big East would be Rutgers and UConn given the ACC's historical preference for more academically solid schools. I don't think overall WVU fits that role, and Notre Dame is probably not ready to walk out on their lucrative TV contract with NBC. I would bet that what's left of the Big East will merge or be acquired by Conference USA as it's the best geographical fit and would also form a competitive "super-conference" in it's own right.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The more likely add-ons from the Big East would be Rutgers and UConn given the ACC's historical preference for more academically solid schools. I don't think overall WVU fits that role, and Notre Dame is probably not ready to walk out on their lucrative TV contract with NBC. I would bet that what's left of the Big East will merge or be acquired by Conference USA as it's the best geographical fit and would also form a competitive "super-conference" in it's own right.
Rutgers certainly qualifies in the academic department. Rutgers also allows the ACC to really corner the New York City tv market along with Syracuse.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,102,494 times
Pitt's men's basketball team better change ITS style of play. Against Duke, ACC refs will foul out half of the Pitt players before halftime.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,160,033 times
As a Syracuse basketball fan. I honestly don't know what to think of this. I am torn. I thought the Big East was the best conference in basketball over the last five years without a doubt. I don't understand the logic and I am trying to. If the Big East was already the cream of the crop, it must be about ratings, politics and money. Having said that, I can't wait to see my Orange beat up on North Carolina like they did two years ago. lol. Wishful thinking since that nucleus is no longer in tact and most likely Carolina will be stronger. If all of what we're hearing regarding Notre Dame, and UConn then I'm all for it. I have always liked Uconn second to any other team but Syracuse. And I love Calhoun as a coach. I would like to see those two teams added, so that it will feel more like the Big ACC...

Still trying to comprehend what just happened. I will say that I will sorely miss the rivalries between Syracuse and Georgetown and Syracuse and Villanova..Damn shame. My personal opinon is that the Big East conference was getting to good for its own good and teams like Duke and NC from the ACC felt slighted. It's well known that Boheim and Coach K have a great relationship and I'm sure that has alot to do with their moving. They've coached together and have the utmost respect for each others programs...

But at the end of the day, I don't really know what to think. Will Syracuse and Pitt have to sit out a season since they are supposed to give a 25 month notice? How will this work? Not much speculation on it on Espn over the weekend, since it was all about college football and pro football. Impatiently waiting to find out if I am going to see my team play this year...

Smp

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM

I will say if Butler were on the east coast, the ACC would be picking UConn and Butler. I think Butler has proven its a force to be reckoned with making two championship appearances two years in a row. While their game play is a little rough they are good and in my opinion has the best defense in the NCAA. Butler is good at keeping the other team from scoring high points and they typically stay within 5 to 10 points through the entire game.

Clearly the ACC will be the top basketball conference in the nation with the likes of Duke, Carolina, Syracuse and eventually UConn. The ACC and the Big East have been fighting over the last several years in who is king of basketball. An ACC school made it to the final four in 2008, 2009 and 2010 with North Carolina winning in 2009 and Duke winning in 2010. (North Carolina appeared in the 2008 Final Four) One can argue that North Carolina is the best school of all time in regards to basketball. Its where the greatest NBA player of all time, Michael Jordan, went to school.

Here is a list of Final Four appearances (over all the ACC has consistently been the better basketball conference but adding UConn and Syracuse will clearly make the ACC number one without question. North Carolina just needs to make one more final four appearance to pass UCLA in being the college with the most Final Four appearances. I think the North Carolina-Duke rivalry on tobacco road contributes to excellent basketball at those two schools)

18 North Carolina, UCLA
15 Duke
14 Kentucky
13 Kansas
10 Ohio State
8 Indiana, Michigan State, Louisville
6 Arkansas, Cincinnati, Michigan, Oklahoma State
5 Georgetown, Houston, Illinois
4 Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas State, LSU, Oklahoma, Syracuse, UNLV, Utah, Villanova
3 California, Iowa, Marquette, Memphis, N.C. State, San Francisco, Texas
2 Baylor, Bradley, Butler, CCNY, Colorado, Dartmouth, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Holy Cross, La Salle, Maryland, NYU, Oregon State, Providence, Purdue, St. John's, Stanford, Temple, USC, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin

1 Charlotte, Dayton, Drake, Duquesne, Florida State, George Mason, Georgia, Indiana State, Iowa State, Jacksonville, Loyola (IL), Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi State, New Mexico State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Princeton, Rutgers, Santa Clara, Seattle, Seton Hall, SMU, St. Bonaventure, St. Joseph's, UTEP, Virginia Commonwealth, Wake Forest, Washington, Washington State, Western Kentucky, Wichita State, Wyoming

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-19-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM

922 posts, read 1,701,578 times
this has nothing to do with basketball.

Being a basketball league before football is what doomed the Big East.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,368,193 times
Butler would not be going to the ACC no matter where they were located because they do not have an FBS football team.

This has nothing to do with basketball anyway. The Big East is a weak football conference and has no room to expand, so the league's stronger members are bailing.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM

93,755 posts, read 124,493,435 times
I'm kind of torn too. I think it will be a matter of getting used to watching Syracuse playing in the ACC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports