Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times

Advertisements

SA needs to bring the superbowl to the Alamodome with some minor renovations and added seating SA should be a super bowl site plus its a tourist haven, and there's Austin not to far. I think with both cities there would be enough hotels and motels for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,619 times
they will definetley get a Super Bowl before L.A. thats for sure

Old 10-20-2011, 04:21 PM

1,632 posts, read 483,463 times
The Alamodome is expandable to 72,000 so I don't think capacity is too much of a problem but the ideal number of luxury suites in the stadium would require 100-150 million dollars in renovations in order "to be suitable for an NFL team" and I'm assuming also a Super Bowl.... which is what I read.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
Let's focus on getting an actual NFL team for the city first before pursuing a Superbowl. San Antonio has long been overdue for an NFL franchise. The metropolitan area has grown tremendously in the last 10 years and is now more than capable of supporting the NFL as well as MLB on its own. At 2.3 million San Antonio is one of the largest cities, outside Los Angeles, without NFL football. The time has come and I fully expect the league to place a team in San Antonio in the near future.

Along those lines, the Minnesota legislature is set to vote on a stadium bill to help fund a new stadium up there in late November. If this measure fails to pass you could be looking at the San Antonio Vikings next season.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 AM

I know the United Football League tried to put a team in San Antonio but I think they said the newly started UTSA Roadrunner football program scared them off or something. Ha.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:08 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cash Register View Post
I know the United Football League tried to put a team in San Antonio but I think they said the newly started UTSA Roadrunner football program scared them off or something. Ha.
Yeah. And look at the UFL now. Bankrupt, broke and with few fans. As a matter of fact the UFL has probably played its last game. San Antonians are fed up with these fly by night, iffy, sorry little minor leagues and crave the real thing.

UFL makes its likely exit with Virginia winning title | ProFootballTalk

Old 10-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Yeah. And look at the UFL now. Bankrupt, broke and with few fans. As a matter of fact the UFL has probably played its last game. San Antonians are fed up with these fly by night, iffy, sorry little minor leagues and crave the real thing.

UFL makes its likely exit with Virginia winning title | ProFootballTalk
The UFL will be back in 2012. I know the canceling of the last two weeks of the regular season isn't promising and disencourages more credibility towards the league, two of the four games would be in Las Vegas, the city that hosted one game that year and only drew 6,500. All three other UFL markets draw sellouts or close to sellouts in their smaller stadiums. So, with the standings decided at Virginia and Las Vegas at 3-1, and Omaha and Sacramento at 1-3, they decided to just play the championship game two weeks early to save money and more embarrassing attendance figures in Vegas at Sam Boyd. As a UFL fan myself, it is frustrating. The league said it'd have 8 teams in 2011, then promised 6, then folded the Florida Tuskers (5) and after suspending the season for a month, they suspended the operations of the Hartford Colonials, making four teams, like in 2009. But despite all this, the Destroyers, Mountain Lions, and Nighthawks all drew great crowds. The UFL has a great product, great fans, and with the right leader (certainly not current commissioner Hugo) it would do great.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:38 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
they will definetley get a Super Bowl before L.A. thats for sure
Nah.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
But there is an Arena team coming to San Antonio in 2012....I believe from OKC?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:48 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
I don't believe the NFL awards the game to non-NFL cities, so the chances for SA appear slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports