Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 PM

758 posts, read 591,253 times

Advertisements

1. Salary caps and floors on all teams and players.

2. Limited amounts of money rookies, sophomores, and third-year players can make.

3. Age requirements raised to 21 for each league.

4. Each player must have a college degree and/or play in the minor leagues first.

5. No city can host more than one sports team per league.

6. Every league has an Eastern/Western Conference set-up rather than American/National League.

7. Every player gets tested at least once a week for substance abuse.

8. Mandatory "three strikes" policies for on and off-field offenses.

9. Playoffs with 8 teams per conference akin to that of the NBA and NHL. That means no wildcards or bye weeks.

10. Every sports franchise must purchase its own new stadiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
1. Salary caps and floors on all teams and players.Yes. These people make boatloads of cash to play a game.

2. Limited amounts of money rookies, sophomores, and third-year players can make. Yes. Especially for rookies! Why should someone who has never played professionally get a bigger pay day than an established player?

3. Age requirements raised to 21 for each league. No. If they're that good out of high school, then why not?

4. Each player must have a college degree and/or play in the minor leagues first. See above. Though coming up through the minors wouldn't be bad. But if they're that good, then I say who cares.

5. No city can host more than one sports team per league. If I'm understanding you correctly, that would mean that you couldn't have scenarios like the NY Jets, and NY Giants, or the Chicago White Sox, and Cubs? Why not? If the markets are big enough to support multiple teams for the same sport, then why not?

6. Every league has an Eastern/Western Conference set-up rather than American/National League. I don't care either way.

7. Every player gets tested at least once a week for substance abuse. Steroids? Yes. I don't condone cheating.

8. Mandatory "three strikes" policies for on and off-field offenses. It depends on the offense.

9. Playoffs with 8 teams per conference akin to that of the NBA and NHL. That means no wildcards or bye weeks. Perhaps. I've seen NFL teams with 10-6 records and even 11-5 records get screwed out of a playoff berth because another team in a weaker division won the division with an 8-8 record.

10. Every sports franchise must purchase its own new stadiums. Yes. Or if anything they should share the burden with the city. It shouldn't be placed squarely on the taxpayers to fund and build their stadiums. Here in Cleveland they enacted a sin tax to build all 3 arenas taxing the smokers and drinkers. The funny thing is 2 of the 3 are open air, yet smokers who helped fund the damn places can't smoke in them.

My responses are in blue.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
none of them

Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
My responses are in blue.
2. I think they should make all athletes be in the league at least 4 years and prove themselves before they start handing out big fat contracts. Only when they become veterans and paid their dues should they make handsome salaries. The way I'd rank them is like this.

1st year = rookie
2nd year = sophomore
3rd year = junior
4th year = senior
5th year and beyond = veteran

3. If they're good out of high school, they should still prove themselves in college or the minor leagues. Also, it's important for them to have an education so they'll have something to fall back on if they have career-ending injuries or something.

5. I think it would be nice if New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago would share the wealth and let other cities have teams. However, if they can support two teams, then power to them. In that case, they should have two NFL teams in L.A. and Chicago. They should also have two NBA, NHL, and MLS in Chicago and two MLS teams in New York. Only those three cities should have them though because they're world class cities. I'd rather they didn't, though.

6. An Eastern/Western Conference layout would save them money and actually earn more because they'd spend less on traveling. Also, if two teams from New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago were in the same division, all their games against each other would be sold out. This is more inconsequential than the others nonetheless. I'd much rather they move the A's to Portland, the Dodgers to San Antonio, the Mets to Charlotte, and the White Sox to Indianapolis or something.

8. When they break the law or violate the leagues rules, it should look something like this:

Strike one - heavy fine and suspension
Strike two - one-year suspension and forfeiture of pay
Strike three - being banned permanently from the league

9. Amen! I'm certain the NFL playoffs would be more exciting with 8 seeds and no BYE weeks. They could make the other games the last Thursday and Monday Night Football games of the season. They should do the same in baseball to make it more entertaining, but have five-game series in the first two rounds and the conference championships. Then they should have seven in the league championships. They should do that with the NBA, NHL, and MLB.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Here are some other rules I think they should add.

11. No team can have the same nickname as another in any league. They must all have their own original names.

12. Basketball and hockey games cannot exceed on overtime. Instead, they should have shootouts with free throws and penalty shots like they do in World Cup Soccer after overtime.

13. No teams can have the same fonts.

14. Every team has secondary and tertiary logos.

15. Every team has a flag and a coat-of-arms.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM

One more thing. Too many teams I see in the same league have uniforms that look alike. Every other team in the MLB I see wears red and blue. The Red Sox, Indians, Cubs, Twins, Cardinals, Rangers, Nationals, Braves, Phillies, Angels, and Dodgers all wear red and blue. What I think they should do is instate this other rule.

16. No teams can wear the same color combinations.

I had an idea to remedy all that with a color matrix. It looks something like this.

black - 0
brown - 1
burgundy - 2
red - 3
orange - 4
yellow - 5
green - 6
teal - 7
blue - 8
purple - 9
silver - 10
gold - 11

Add all those up, and that's 66 possible color combinations for each sports league. You can't go wrong with that when each of them have about 30 or 32 teams.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
One more thing. Too many teams I see in the same league have uniforms that look alike. Every other team in the MLB I see wears red and blue. The Red Sox, Indians, Cubs, Twins, Cardinals, Rangers, Nationals, Braves, Phillies, Angels, and Dodgers all wear red and blue. What I think they should do is instate this other rule.

16. No teams can wear the same color combinations.

I had an idea to remedy all that with a color matrix. It looks something like this.

black - 0
brown - 1
burgundy - 2
red - 3
orange - 4
yellow - 5
green - 6
teal - 7
blue - 8
purple - 9
silver - 10
gold - 11

Add all those up, and that's 66 possible color combinations for each sports league. You can't go wrong with that when each of them have about 30 or 32 teams.

Agree with color schemes with one exception. NO team should ever be allowed to wear the colors shown by Baylor's mens team. Painfull to watch. I was wishing that I still owned a black and white TV.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
Baylor reallly does win the prize for ugliest uniforms in the history of sports. So no highlighted yellow allowed.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Agree with color schemes with one exception. NO team should ever be allowed to wear the colors shown by Baylor's mens team. Painfull to watch. I was wishing that I still owned a black and white TV.
You don't like that hunter green and electric green combination? That's fine! I love it myself, but that's just me.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Baylor reallly does win the prize for ugliest uniforms in the history of sports. So no highlighted yellow allowed.
Or do you mean neon green? I like that color actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports