Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2021, 08:11 PM

29,771 posts, read 11,372,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
This is gonna be a kind of drive by post.

Tennis was popular when the 'stars' were fun to watch. The competition was ruthless and engaging. I recall Johnny Mac, Vlad (Lendl), JC (Conners), among others... Everett, Navaratola, Billie Jean (King) etc

Now there's the Williams sisters ... and that's it, and it's boringly passive.

... just sayin'

Its boring like a lot of international sports are now to most Americans. Soccer, Boxing, the Olympics, etc. If we are not dominating it we really do not care about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 08:18 PM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 9 days ago)

14,436 posts, read 9,523,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its boring like a lot of international sports are now to most Americans. Soccer, Boxing, the Olympics, etc. If we are not dominating it we really do not care about it.
If we don't care about it... we don't dominate.

Old 11-07-2021, 10:04 AM

9,770 posts, read 14,611,517 times
OP,

Is tennis popular anywhere in the world?

It certainly has its fans and they aren't two or three. Plenty of people practice the sport worldwide, watch the sport on TV/internet, go to live tennis tournaments of the professional and amateur kind, etc. They certainly buy tennis paraphernalia (shirts, hats, etc). I think if there are miniature 3D representation of tennis stadiums worldwide or at least the most important, that the people that own at least one aren't a few. Even ESPN, which is based in Connecticut (United States), finds tennis to be important enough to air its tournaments, at least the major ones in the USA and elsewhere.

But, with that said, I don't think there is a single country where tennis has reach a level of popularity that it could be considered the "national sport." Football (or soccer), baseball, American football, hockey are some of the sports that reaches that level. Tennis not so much, I think.

------

Anyway, here is an interesting article on tennis in the Dominican Republic. It even has an official tennis stadium, something most countries don't have, and Björn Borg was recently interviewed there (includes video of the interview in English). I wouldn't consider tennis to be a very popular sport there, but it does has its following. It appears to have the most tennis facilities not just in the Caribbean, but in all of Central America. Not even neighboring Puerto Rico, which is richer and a neighbor, has a professional tennis stadium. I think that says a lot. Tennis may not be the most popular sport, but it's the only country in that entire sub-region that gave tennis a higher importance to merit its own stadium.

Tennis in the Dominican Republic

Old 11-19-2021, 06:15 AM

7,969 posts, read 10,536,373 times
Why is it not popular?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 11-27-2021, 08:01 AM

29,771 posts, read 11,372,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
If we don't care about it... we don't dominate.
Not sure about that. With tennis it can be one or two players who dominate the sport and what country they are from is very important. Like Venus and Serena. Or Tiger Woods in golf.

If we don't have those kind of players then people tune out to it. But even when we do tennis is not going to compete with the NFL, NBA, MLB and the major college sports. And with those sports there are always stars to be fans of. It never ends.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:03 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 9 days ago)

34,403 posts, read 16,510,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Good question. In the 1970s-80s, and into the 1990s, it was pretty popular - not just playing tennis, but watching professional tennis. I remember having to wait to get court time, but now, the courts I see are rarely even used. Golf seemed to take over as a more popular sports than tennis awhile ago.

As for pro tennis, having non-Americans as the top players, especially on the mens' circuit, probably has a major influence. No McEnroe, no Connors, no Ashe, no Sampras or Agassi anymore. Top players are foreign to USA.
I think the migration of professional tennis from homey, user-friendly Forest Hills to a forbidding U.S. Tennis Center has played a role. Also, the aging of the population of on one end has made golf popular. On the millennial end, the availability of sedentary pursuits such as online versions of football and other games has sapped the urge to wake up early on a weekend morning and play.

Personally I play. I am 64 and the tennis club I belong to costs about $2000, from May to October and my indoor game under $1000. Most of the clubs around are either "tennis memberships" at golf clubs (less than golf memberships but still sky-high) or other clubs that are charging about $6000-$8000 for the summer season. At those prices, for people desiring a social game, golf begins to look good. I don't play golf.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:53 PM

103 posts, read 33,006 times
does anbody care if it is not. people watch it around the world america does not so what nobody is loosing any sleep over it

Old 12-04-2021, 10:55 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,702,160 times
The U.S. is into team sports so more men go for those sports instead of tennis playing.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:57 AM

361 posts, read 254,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
The U.S. is into team sports so more men go for those sports instead of tennis playing.
That, and also that America is more attune to a "sport" like golf - A.K.A men in ugly pants, walking.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:46 AM

18,822 posts, read 14,010,419 times
Ever since they stopped executing the losing side, it lost its appeal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports