Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

Just from my experience, couldn't find court time in the 1970s-80s as a kid. Now I pass so many courts that I never see being used. I think a lot of people transitioned to golf - where courses are packed nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 02:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Good question. In the 1970s-80s, and into the 1990s, it was pretty popular - not just playing tennis, but watching professional tennis. I remember having to wait to get court time, but now, the courts I see are rarely even used. Golf seemed to take over as a more popular sports than tennis awhile ago.

As for pro tennis, having non-Americans as the top players, especially on the mens' circuit, probably has a major influence. No McEnroe, no Connors, no Ashe, no Sampras or Agassi anymore. Top players are foreign to USA.
I enjoy it. Both playing and watching.

I think you're on to something. The bold is tennis's heyday.

The other thing is that it is now "cool" to golf, which I would find b-o-r-i-n-g. I've spoken with people as to why tennis isn't as acceptable a social sport for business as is golf. Essentially, it's because you can't "back slap" while playing.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:51 PM

Andy Roddick ousted on Day 1 of French Open

Old 05-27-2012, 05:29 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
All the statistics taken show the sport is not relatively popular.

So just because YOU know people who play recreationally does not mean the sport is popular.

Tennis in the US: Association and Industry May Overstate Sport's Popularity | Bleacher Report
I think this may be an area thing.

Where are the socioeconomically disadvantaged going to meet tennis players? Or get tennis lessons?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:43 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think this may be an area thing.

Where are the socioeconomically disadvantaged going to meet tennis players? Or get tennis lessons?
I think you are looking at popularity wrong... the upper middle class plays tennis sure recreationally. But even they don't attend matches nor do they watch on TV. That is what determines the popularity of a sport.

baseball is an upper middle class sport in the US... Where the socioeconomically disadvantaged dont get lessons nor play. Yet it is still popular. see the difference?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:45 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I think you are looking at popularity wrong... the upper middle class plays tennis sure recreationally. But even they don't attend matches nor do they watch on TV. That is what determines the popularity of a sport.

baseball is an upper middle class sport in the US... Where the socioeconomically disadvantaged dont get lessons nor play. Yet it is still popular. see the difference?
I get what you're saying.

Is the viewership issue because there aren't that many huge, meaningful tournies?
Because I know when the French Open or Wimbledon is on, it's on the tvs at work.

People watch what they can identify with.
Also, it's an individual sport - no one really represents a city or anything. They play for themselves. That makes it harder to get behind them.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
it's an individual sport - no one really represents a city or anything. They play for themselves. That makes it harder to get behind them.
Exactly!

I think this is more of the reason than anything else... regardless of social class and how many tourneys.

The other thing is... even in Golf you see more of the golfers in the final round. it only comes down to a couple people but in Tennis... the finals are just two people no matter what. so you would have to really love tennis or be a fan of one of those people. this always limits the reach of tennis. And it will always limit the reach.

Not everyone can relate to football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or Nascar but there is more of a group and organized feel to it. And in America we like the pack mentality. we like to group everything... From race, sex, to social class, geographical regions, and even politics.

Tennis is just kinda out there by itself.

And not having any American stars is just final piece of the popularity puzzle.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 PM

106 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
Yeah, that was embarassing. The guy who beat Andy is some kid who won only once before this whole year long.

It seems like it's all about Nadal vs. Djokovic.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM

I played tennis through my high school years - on the HS team - and stopped once I got to college. I was the number one on my HS team, but not nearly good enough to play at the university level. Quit tennis because I couldn't find enough players to hit with. Started golfing and have been golfing 25 yrs later. Only recently took up tennis again - was really into it for awhile, but once again the interest died. Playing well, but the sport is rather frustrating - either the players I play with are much worse or much better (I'm a 4.0). I still prefer golf where you're really playing against the course and against yourself (trying to match or improve on your best scores). Tennis will always be second for me.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM

106 posts, read 241,178 times
Quote:
Tennis will always be second for me.

Probably because you're too old for it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports