Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
According to Wikipedia:

Yes. The oldest period is Harvard. The other 5 older than Ruters are Yale, Columbia, Princeton, Brown and Penn. None of those are public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 05:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Yeah, the New York City/downstate area doesn't give a darn about anything in Upstate NY....sports, the economy, etc. That's why only Downstate is growing and Upstate continues to die. Spitzer says he wants to change that. Well, we'll have to see, won't we....

Old 09-30-2007, 08:09 AM

820 posts, read 2,868,749 times
Louisville has made great strides in all their athletic programs over the last decade. However, to call them THE team in KY is beyond crazy! UK rules this state in fans. We have folks lining up more than a week in advance for tickets to the first practice of the basketball team. The support and fanbase for football which has been long suffering is unbelievable. Big Blue is the team of the Bluegrass hands down!

The other one that I strongly disagree with off of the original list is NC. UNC is a team that even has fans here in KY. The respect for their basketball program is tremendous and one of the favorite matchups here every year. Their baseball program is also phenomenal and coached by a guy who is nationally respected. One of my favorites as well as the friends I have in NC.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:52 AM

180 posts, read 267,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Louisville has made great strides in all their athletic programs over the last decade. However, to call them THE team in KY is beyond crazy! UK rules this state in fans. We have folks lining up more than a week in advance for tickets to the first practice of the basketball team. The support and fanbase for football which has been long suffering is unbelievable. Big Blue is the team of the Bluegrass hands down!

The other one that I strongly disagree with off of the original list is NC. UNC is a team that even has fans here in KY. The respect for their basketball program is tremendous and one of the favorite matchups here every year. Their baseball program is also phenomenal and coached by a guy who is nationally respected. One of my favorites as well as the friends I have in NC.
In the ranking of overall athletic programs, Louisville comes in at #28 and Kentucky is #45. It is a ranking that awards points for national championships, top 10 finished, top 25 finishes, etc. and considers all men's and women's sports. Kentucky clearly has a larger fan base, as do most of the state-titled schools.

UNC is most definitely the top N.C. university for athletics...and has by far the most fans of any N.C. school.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
In the ranking of overall athletic programs, Louisville comes in at #28 and Kentucky is #45. It is a ranking that awards points for national championships, top 10 finished, top 25 finishes, etc. and considers all men's and women's sports. Kentucky clearly has a larger fan base, as do most of the state-titled schools.
What list is it that you are referencing? I tried to google an actual list and perhaps I missed some reference earlier in the thread. The only list I could find that ranked college athletics programs historically was this one. Louisville isn't even on the list, although as I stated earlier they've made huge strides over the past several years in athletics. I don't think very many people in their right mind would rank Louisville above KY... I'm a fan of both programs and have followed several of their athletic programs for many years and that's just a stretch.

College Rankings - Home

Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 PM

Mrs. Garrison, nevermind and I apologize because I did miss your reference earlier to Director's Cup Listings. I went and looked at their site. It's cool in the fact that they address different levels of athletics which often is missed in rankings such as this. I would have to take issue though with many of the schools listed and I'm not sure that many folks would think athletic director's ranking schools would be the best way to get a historical and accurate perspective of schools across the nation. Again, it's an interesting site, but not one I'd put a lot of stock into. Thanks for sharing though.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:13 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
For Colorado, I would have said the AF Falcons are the best hope as of late but it pains me to see what's happened to the Buffs.

When I saw the Buffs losing to Florida State I thought, these guys are a high school team this year. Their defense looked pretty solid. CU beat the Sooners yesterday. How did this happen? How did the Buffs put together a running game? You just never know.

Go Buffs, go Big 12 North!

Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 PM

180 posts, read 267,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Mrs. Garrison, nevermind and I apologize because I did miss your reference earlier to Director's Cup Listings. I went and looked at their site. It's cool in the fact that they address different levels of athletics which often is missed in rankings such as this. I would have to take issue though with many of the schools listed and I'm not sure that many folks would think athletic director's ranking schools would be the best way to get a historical and accurate perspective of schools across the nation. Again, it's an interesting site, but not one I'd put a lot of stock into. Thanks for sharing though.
No problem...but, they aren't ranked by the Athletic Directors. On the site there is a chart for each year that shows the teams (in rank order) and lists each sport and number of points for that sport. Most of the schools earned zero for most sports, but a top 25 final ranking is worth some points...and the higher the ranking the more points awarded. Example...Stanford ended 2006-2007 with the following:

Quote:
Stanford won its 12th straight Directors' Cup with national championships in women's cross country and women's tennis, and runner-up finishes in women's track and field and men's water polo. The Cardinal placed 11 additional teams in the top 10:
women's water polo (3rd)
men's gymnastics (3rd)
men's swimming (3rd)
women's basketball (5th)
women's swimming (5th)
men's tennis (5th)
men's cross country (6th)
men's fencing (7th)
baseball (9th)
women's lacrosse (9th)
softball (9th)
Pretty impressive list of top 10 finishes... Every Division I school is considered and the rankings are totally objective, based on number of points. I agree it wouldn't be very representative of the best athletic programs if it was simply Athletic Directors opinions.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
For Colorado, I would have said the AF Falcons are the best hope as of late but it pains me to see what's happened to the Buffs.

When I saw the Buffs losing to Florida State I thought, these guys are a high school team this year. Their defense looked pretty solid. CU beat the Sooners yesterday. How did this happen? How did the Buffs put together a running game? You just never know.

Go Buffs, go Big 12 North!
Usually I don't care anything about Colorado U. But for this week only, I'm a fan. It doesn't even matter if Texas lost.... Oklahoma lost, too.

Go Buffs!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:50 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Look at your Duke list of players above and tell me, what have they done? Absolutely nothing, I never even heard Reddick's name all of last year. Can you name one NFL player from Duke? UNC may stink at Football but atleast we do have some great players in the NFL, Ron Curry, Julias peppers, Ektaban, Jeff Saturday, David Thornton, D. Bly, Willie Parker, etc... Like it or not, in NC, UNC>Duke.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm arguing with the choice of the original poster, which was NC state. If he would have put UNC I would have no argument with that. Duke is a hoops school primarily and the post has nothing to do with who has been sucessful in the pros. It is who is the greatest college institution in your state and no one on Earth could argure that Duke BB is one of the greatest programs ever.

BTW.....we all know that Grant Hill would have been awesome had his career not been plagued with injuries. Its just a shame what happend to him. Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, and Luol Deng are beasts in the NBA. Corey Maggette has also played well over the past few years. In JJ Redicks defense he went to the Magic and no one plays well there.
I think the whole UNC team went to the pros the year Sean May left and what have we heard from those national champs? The transition doesnt always happen from college to the pros, but you know that as well as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports