Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,546,382 times

Advertisements

I don't miss a minute of it, have been watching for around 8 or 9 years. My favorite Tour is still 2006, when Floyd Landis won, only to have his title taken. Cycling and MLB have alot in common, performance enhancers were commonplace in both sports, and both have been cleaned up, I will be shocked now to see a cyclist kicked off the Tour for PED's, but it used to be commonplace.

I think this is Bradley Wiggins Tour, and picked him before it started. I like last years winner, Cadel Evans, and I think it will be either he or Wiggins this year. Very impressed with Peter Sagan and the American Tejay Van Garderen. Tejay has a chance on the podium in the years to come, and is currently ahead of his teammate Evans.

The last four Tours have seen Cavendish win almost every sprint, now that the 22 yr. old Sagan is riding his first Tour, it's already clear that Cavendish has serious competition in the sprints. Shouts out to my favorite all around American riders, George Hincapie and Christian Vande Velde.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
I watched briefly at a restaurant this morning. I don't see the appeal of watching guys riding bicycles. A crash drew some stares and glances from the patrons eating breakfast and that was about it. If it suites your fancy, enjoy.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I watched briefly at a restaurant this morning. I don't see the appeal of watching guys riding bicycles. A crash drew some stares and glances from the patrons eating breakfast and that was about it. If it suites your fancy, enjoy.
It helps is you actually ride from time to time, then you realize how phenomenal an athlete you have to be to ride at blazing speeds up (and down) both the Pyrenee's and the Alps, as well as the strategy of the teams working to propel a certain rider towards the stage win.

Of course, some people watch for the high definition helicopter video of France, one of the most beautiful countries in the world (never get sick of seeing the chateau's and castles) , but I watch for the pain.

Stage 7 is when the mountains begin, the crazy fans line the roads, and only the strong survive.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It helps is you actually ride from time to time, then you realize how phenomenal an athlete you have to be to ride at blazing speeds up (and down) both the Pyrenee's and the Alps, as well as the strategy of the teams working to propel a certain rider towards the stage win.

Of course, some people watch for the high definition helicopter video of France, one of the most beautiful countries in the world (never get sick of seeing the chateau's and castles) , but I watch for the pain.

Stage 7 is when the mountains begin, the crazy fans line the roads, and only the strong survive.
I don't doubt the athleticism. Racing, of any kind, just does not appeal to me.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,128,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

I agree, these guys are amazing.
Those crashes have been terrible, especially stage 3.

Bring on stage 7. As an Aussie, going for Cadel to go back to back. Also very interested in Orica (Aus team).

Enjoying Sagan and loved the victory "dance"

The worst thing is the time difference for me. Coverage starts at about 10:30pm, so for the first week watch the highlights then start to stay up for second half of the tour.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM

You mean you watch it live? I tape the live broadcast, speed thru the commercials, allows me to watch over 3 hrs. of racing every day. The announcers have really been talking up Matt Goss, who is with Orica. Whenever they talk up a sprinter, the sprinter goes nowhere (see Tyler Farrar, who managed to win one stage while being said he will challenge Mark Cavendish for the past two years)

Agreed on all the crashes! Man, these guys are really going down, the good news is only a few riders have been injured and forced to withdraw. Don't think Cavendish will win 5 stages this year (but if he survives he will win the final stage in Paris)

Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM

I do both. At the moment I record & watch from the stage before, then watch about half hour of live coverage.
I don't really have time to watch 3 hours! Although if Cadel is in a good position by the third week, I'll be bleary eyed for work. It was Cadel fever here last year, good for the sport.

They gave been talking up Goss, but Sagan is good so far. First tour, we'll see..

I read some speculation that Cavendish might not finish due to Olympic road race commitments, doubt that though

Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM

Well well, from all reports Goss rode well., with a narrow 2nd placing.

did Farrar have a case to try to storm the shimano bus??

Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Greipel was RIGHT BESIDE Farrar when he went down, in fact, Greipel put his foot out off his pedal and kept his balance by stepping on Farrar, only to win the stage! An amazing win! Goss was SO CLOSE but couldn't close it out, Greipel's win yesterday likely gave him that extra kick at the line he needed. Not sure about Farrar, but he got taken out by a Lampre rider who moved over and his hit front wheel.

I'll have to see the drama tomorrow before Stage 6.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 AM

Cadel finished well last night! That monster finish looked like a killer. 10 seconds not impossible, needs his team to lift their game, being stuck one out won't hand him yellow. Wiggins had really good support.

Getting interesting now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports