Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Ok, now that we've established that Serena's personality isnt especially appealing, can we discuss ABILITY? Martina or Graf against Serena, lets assume each is at their best. Who comes out on top?
Lol... at you trying to ask a thought provoking question on ability. All people on here want to do is bash the Williams "sisters"... even though you ONLY asked about Serena. funny how people are only concerned with their own agendas.

To atleast attempt to answer your question. I think Martina and Graf were much more skilled tennis players with Serena being the much stronger athlete.

I think they would would have great matches. So considering all being at their best. I think Martina would fair a little better than Graf against Serena because she was the better athlete. Having said that I think a superior athlete with the proper skillset always has the advantage. And Serena has the proper skillsets. Regardless if she uses it all the time. But remember we are saying at their best... So I would say that Serena would beat Martina 5.5/10 times. And beat Graf 7/10 times.

I liked Graf's game the best though... I just don't think she could handle the power of Serena. Especially that serve.

I'm too young to have really seen Chris so that's why I didnt mention her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
I seriously started contemplating this after watching her win the 5th Wimbleton title of her career. No, she doesnt have the most slams, and she's not likely to come near Margaret Court's mark of 24 especially now that she's on the wrong side of 30, though I do believe she'll end up in the ballpark of 16-18 slams. But how does she compare to the Navratilova's, Graf's, Evert's in women's tennis? I don't think Serena will match those women in term of career slams and overall titles, but I'm speaking mainly from an ability standpoint.
I consider Navratilova to be the greatest female player in history. Graf was good, but talk about an era with virtually zero competition in the women's game. Absent Monica Seles, her strongest competition was Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Conchita Martinez, Jana Novotna, Mary Pierce and Gabriella Sabatini. Not exactly the strongest field.

At least Serena had to deal with a very strong Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport and Justine Henin in their primes. Plus her sister, too.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Lol... at you trying to ask a thought provoking question on ability. All people on here want to do is bash the Williams "sisters"... even though you ONLY asked about Serena. funny how people are only concerned with their own agendas.

To atleast attempt to answer your question. I think Martina and Graf were much more skilled tennis players with Serena being the much stronger athlete.

I think they would would have great matches. So considering all being at their best. I think Martina would fair a little better than Graf against Serena because she was the better athlete. Having said that I think a superior athlete with the proper skillset always has the advantage. And Serena has the proper skillsets. Regardless if she uses it all the time. But remember we are saying at their best... So I would say that Serena would beat Martina 5.5/10 times. And beat Graf 7/10 times.

I liked Graf's game the best though... I just don't think she could handle the power of Serena. Especially that serve.

I'm too young to have really seen Chris so that's why I didnt mention her...
I know....what's funny is that if I asked a question about 'where does John Mcenroe' rank in history', I doubt the resulting answers would focus on Mcenroe's legendary temper tantrums. Hell, there's another thread on-going right now about Federer being the greatest, with several references to Mcenroe, none of which have anything to do with his behavior. No, there's no double-standard here.

Thank you for at least answering my question in the spirit it was intended( Bajanyankee as well)....

Old 07-09-2012, 12:13 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
If the Williams sisters are pretty, inside and outside, can you imagine how much more popular they will be?

Quote:
Can you imagine how much more popular it would be if Andy Roddick won 14 Grand Slams and his brother/sister also won few Grand Slams.

Quote:
Can you imagine if Sharapova has a sister who also have (just) a few Grand Slam titles? Can you imagine how famous they would be compare to the Williams, despite the the Williams sisters have over 20 Grand Slams combined.
Lol dude why don't you just come out and say what you're really trying to say.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I consider Navratilova to be the greatest female player in history. Graf was good, but talk about an era with virtually zero competition in the women's game. Absent Monica Seles, her strongest competition was Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Conchita Martinez, Jana Novotna, Mary Pierce and Gabriella Sabatini. Not exactly the strongest field.

At least Serena had to deal with a very strong Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport and Justine Henin in their primes. Plus her sister, too.
Excellent point. I kind of chuckled when someone earlier in the thread essentially disparaged the Williams sisters accomplishments (though the thread is only about Serena) due to a perceived lack of competition. However,i don't think that Steffi Graf's career would be quite so historic had she played in the Williams sisters era. Her only real consistent competition was Monica Seles and frankly i believe Monica was a far superior player pre-stabbing. Once that crazed Graf fan took Monica out, Steffi had the run of the roost pretty much until she retired since Seles was never the same even after she took all of that time to come back.

The game is so different now, so much faster and more powerful that i think that any of the greats would have a very difficult time with Serena on any surface besides clay.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM

749 posts, read 838,681 times
I don't have a problem with Venus, but Serena is a no-class, whining bit**.

Graf was the most dominant in her respective era. I would have liked to see what Seles could have ultimately accomplished if not for the stabbing incident.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
I don't have a problem with Venus, but Serena is a no-class, whining bit**.
Here we go again. What's your thoughts on John Mcenroe's place in tennis history, from an ability standpoint?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Here we go again. What's your thoughts on John Mcenroe's place in tennis history, from an ability standpoint?

seriously... Great analogy between McEnroe and Serena.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
From an ability standpoint I think Serena's a bit overrated. Her movement is just so/so and her defense is average. She relies on physical prowess and offense to win. She's below Graf for sure.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
Lol dude why don't you just come out and say what you're really trying to say.

What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports