Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times

Advertisements

I confess, I'd like to go back to the days when the Olympics were for amateurs.

I'm not so keen on the idea of professional footballers, golfers, tennis etc representing their country.
That could possibly even extend to equestrian events.

I realise they may be the best in the world, but it would just be nice to see more "ordinary" folks given the chance to shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks equestrians aren't athletes obviously has never competed in any serious horseback riding competition. 90% of the work done by a rider is thro the leg and back muscles. Unlike Western style, the hands rarely come into it, but the arm and shoulder muscles have to be in peak condition to keep a 2000lb animal under total control no matter what. The fitness training required is enormous: weight-lifting, pilates, intense yoga for flexibility and concentration, squats, leg-lifts, etc, etc, every day for hours are the norm. Just take a look at the strength training recommended in this site alone (Strength Training for the Equestrian | Rate My Horse PRO)

"Equestrians should include aerobic workouts at least three days a week to increase the cardiovascular and muscular conditioning necessary to ride competently and safely."

"Horseback riding engages several of the body's muscle groups, including the quadriceps -- the group of large muscles in the front of your thigh -- as well as the sartorius, gracilis, adductors and pectineus muscles."

The above quotes were taken from these sites
Athletic Training For Equestrian Sports | LIVESTRONG.COM
Pilates Exercises For Horseback Riders | LIVESTRONG.COM
Fitness & Exercises For A Horse Rider | LIVESTRONG.COM - this site lists a fitness test required for equestrians. Just reading it is exhausting.

I have ridden since I was 6 years old and can speak from experience. The aches and bruises acquired during just a single lesson are phenomenal and can last for days. Injuries happen all the time. There isn't a single rider who hasn't broken a bone (usually the clavicle and ribs) and in competitions like the Olympics you are expected to climb back on the horse and continue riding even with a break.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Those three day eventers not fit?

Try it!

Oh, and by the way, there's not much chance of getting seriously injured running the 100 metres.

Cross country is not for the faint hearted!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks equestrians aren't athletes obviously has never competed in any serious horseback riding competition. 90% of the work done by a rider is thro the leg and back muscles. Unlike Western style, the hands rarely come into it, but the arm and shoulder muscles have to be in peak condition to keep a 2000lb animal under total control no matter what. The fitness training required is enormous: weight-lifting, pilates, intense yoga for flexibility and concentration, squats, leg-lifts, etc, etc, every day for hours are the norm. Just take a look at the strength training recommended in this site alone (Strength Training for the Equestrian | Rate My Horse PRO)

"Equestrians should include aerobic workouts at least three days a week to increase the cardiovascular and muscular conditioning necessary to ride competently and safely."

"Horseback riding engages several of the body's muscle groups, including the quadriceps -- the group of large muscles in the front of your thigh -- as well as the sartorius, gracilis, adductors and pectineus muscles."

The above quotes were taken from these sites
Athletic Training For Equestrian Sports | LIVESTRONG.COM
Pilates Exercises For Horseback Riders | LIVESTRONG.COM
Fitness & Exercises For A Horse Rider | LIVESTRONG.COM - this site lists a fitness test required for equestrians. Just reading it is exhausting.

I have ridden since I was 6 years old and can speak from experience. The aches and bruises acquired during just a single lesson are phenomenal and can last for days. Injuries happen all the time. There isn't a single rider who hasn't broken a bone (usually the clavicle and ribs) and in competitions like the Olympics you are expected to climb back on the horse and continue riding even with a break.
If riding a nag batters the body so much how come a bloke of 56 can do it ?
I have NEVER seen a bloke over the age of 40 playing this sport at competitive representative level, nor can women mix it with the men.

Rugby, elegant violence - YouTube

Old 08-03-2012, 02:19 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Anyways if you play with a ball then it is a game and not a sport

Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
I don't ride horses much, but my fiancee does.
From what I understand, if you continue to ride horses at a high level, the muscles and skills you develop when you start riding will not diminish.

Therefore, if you take that fitness, and add years of experience, that's why older riders can compete with much younger competitors.
The young 'uns may be much fitter, but compared to the seasoned campaigners they may still have a lot to learn.
After all, equestrianism isn't entirely predictable since horses are all different. What works with one won't work with all. At least with other sports balls, cues, cars, racquets etc are all fairly identical. You know roughly what to expect when you start
Horses aren't. They are independently thinking animals.
It's all about getting the best out of your ride. The oldies are often better at that.

Sure, they may not be able to run a 100 metres in 10 seconds, or play 80 minutes of rugby, but then neither could a rugby player or sprinter cope with taking a 1000 lb plus animal around a 4 mile course with massive obstacles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
If riding a nag batters the body so much how come a bloke of 56 can do it ?
I have NEVER seen a bloke over the age of 40 playing this sport at competitive representative level, nor can women mix it with the men.
Much as I love rugby also, it's just ridiculous to compare it to horse riding, they are such different sports and the nature of the physicality is completely different.
Effectively this comparison is similar to "We can eat potatoes with our steak, so why not rocks ? They are underground too"

Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I don't ride horses much, but my fiancee does.
From what I understand, if you continue to ride horses at a high level, the muscles and skills you develop when you start riding will not diminish.

Therefore, if you take that fitness, and add years of experience, that's why older riders can compete with much younger competitors.
The young 'uns may be much fitter, but compared to the seasoned campaigners they may still have a lot to learn.
After all, equestrianism isn't entirely predictable since horses are all different. What works with one won't work with all. At least with other sports balls, cues, cars, racquets etc are all fairly identical. You know roughly what to expect when you start
Horses aren't. They are independently thinking animals.
It's all about getting the best out of your ride. The oldies are often better at that.

Sure, they may not be able to run a 100 metres in 10 seconds, or play 80 minutes of rugby, but then neither could a rugby player or sprinter cope with taking a 1000 lb plus animal around a 4 mile course with massive obstacles.

Much as I love rugby also, it's just ridiculous to compare it to horse riding, they are such different sports and the nature of the physicality is completely different.
Effectively this comparison is similar to "We can eat potatoes with our steak, so why not rocks ? They are underground too"
In his day I would have put money on Ian Kirkpatrick ( all black captain )farmer) taking a horse around a 4 mile course, good polo player Ian, even at 17 stone.
That is the point, horse riders have no physicality when compared to all other Olympic sports outside of shooting where none at all is needed.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
When I was in Christchurch the rumour was that Kirkpatrick was pretty good at sheep chasing as well.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
When I was in Christchurch the rumour was that Kirkpatrick was pretty good at sheep chasing as well.
Hell all the Canterbury types are good at sheep chasing

Old 08-12-2012, 10:21 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
The problem with making motor racing an Olympic sport is the variety of styles and the expense of building a track.

Do you limit it to oval track - or also have road course events? What about drag racing?

Do you have just one type of car or allow stock, open wheel, modified, sprint car, F1, ect all compete? How about motorcycles and trucks? Off road and street rallying?

I suppose the expense for a host country to build a track or tracks for the events could be dealt with by holding the motor racing competitions in a designated country or several different ones - but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a worldwide competition in one metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports