Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 10:12 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times

Advertisements

... but men knock most of them over (and in some cases send them flying) ?

Am I looking at two different events here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
... but men knock most of them over (and in some cases send them flying) ?

Am I looking at two different events here?
must be anatomy....ouch

Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
I was thinking the same thing. Must be that third leg

Old 08-09-2012, 11:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
For sprint hurdles Women run 100m - Men run 110m .... both have to clear 10 hurdles ..... for men running this distance the hurdle height is 42", for women running this distance the hurdle height is 33"

For longer hurdle races the men clear 36", the women 30"

Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
For sprint hurdles Women run 100m - Men run 110m .... both have to clear 10 hurdles ..... for men running this distance the hurdle height is 42", for women running this distance the hurdle height is 33"

Thank you for the actual answer, but it was still fun to think of it being the other way!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Right, but aren't the men taller and aren't the women penalized if they hit them?
I'm not just talking about a few hurdles.
It almost looks like they're purposely destroying the course. If olympic athletes are really incapable of hopping over those, why don't then lower them a little? One guy I saw yesterday ended up getting injured when one of the hurdles fell and hit the back of his leg and couldn't finish.

I'm loving the penis jokes, people. Keep those coming.
Even if that was the reason, they should lower the hurdles to accommodate the men.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
must be anatomy....ouch
They wish.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Right, but aren't the men taller and aren't the women penalized if they hit them?
I'm not just talking about a few hurdles.
It almost looks like they're purposely destroying the course. If olympic athletes are really incapable of hopping over those, why don't then lower them a little? One guy I saw yesterday ended up getting injured when one of the hurdles fell and hit the back of his leg and couldn't finish.

I'm loving the penis jokes, people. Keep those coming.
Even if that was the reason, they should lower the hurdles to accommodate the men.
Typically taller - male hurdlers are typically in that 6'1" to 6'2" range ... women are typically around 5'6"

so while there may be an 8"-9" height difference to go with the 9" difference in hurdles, it's not all in the legs for their height ... even if from foot to waist the men are 6" taller, it's still a 9" difference .... there are also technique implications, for men so much has to do with the # of strides and launch point to get over the hurdles .... it's important for women as well, but it just seems to work out better for them - clear the hurdle, take your strides and go .... both typically will do 3 strides and keep the lead and trailing foot the same, but for some reason it doesn't seem like the women have as sharp of an up/down swing to get over the hurdles

there isn't a penalty for knocking over a hurdle as long as you aren't doing it on purpose, knocking it into an opponents lane, etc....... if you crash into them it will mess up your speed and footwork

i know a lot of guys try to clear them as closely as possible - a little nick with the trailing leg won't slow you down or mess up your pace much and it could actually help to keep you properly spaced ... although even a little hit can lead to a pretty dramatic looking fall of the hurdle

Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Pearson - OG Record Next WR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports