Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,724,091 times

Advertisements

My son is going to start attending the tennis club at his school.

He is 11.

What is a good beginner tennis racket? I don't want to spend a gazillion dollars, but I don't want him to get the cheapest piece of junk, either.

Any advice? Possibly link me to an online reseller so I can see it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 PM

468 posts, read 901,468 times
Personally, I will only buy a Prince or a Wilson racket - they have racquets that range from beginner to pro levels.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,820,864 times
Many tennis stores ( at least in the Atlanta area) will let you borrow a couple of rackets at a time to try out before buying. A good shop or coach can help determine which size grip he needs. Rackets are such high tech these days that a particular one can make all the difference in his game. He needs to play with several to see what he feels most comfortble with. There are other good rackets besides Wilson and Prince that are from smaller companies. My daughter played with one on the national junior level that was made in Sweden I think. So don't let the name be the only factor. Your son can try it out and with the correct grip he can see what he does best with in playing. Also, head size , strings and the way it is strung can make a difference. All these factors go into making the racket a hitting machine.

Tennis was a wonderful sport for our daughter and can be enjoyed throughout life. Good luck and I hope your son has fun.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,327,298 times
You need to go to a place where they loan rackets - I'm sure one of the clubs there have a tennis professional. Personally, I use a pro level Wilson, but I've been playing since I was a kid. Mawoods also gave you spot on advice. The racket, the grip, and the strings are all important. My rackets are all strung for me, but again, I've been doing this for years.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Thank you for all of the advice. There is a local tennis shop in town. I will call them and see if they loan rackets or anything like that.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,986,942 times
I use Head rackets and so does my local pro, great stuff to start with.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I use Head rackets and so does my local pro, great stuff to start with.
I am hearing a lot of good things about Head.

I have had recommendations to try a Head Liquidmetal Radical Oversize and also a Head Liquidmetal 4.

I am looking for some good deals on a used one. I am watching a few auctions on ebay, and there is also a local tennis shop that sells used racquets. I plan on going there tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports