Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times

Advertisements

And the sport is: FIELD HOCKEY

So my 12 y.o. daughter and I decided we'd try a new sport and we joined a mom-daughter field hockey class. We are both athletic and have played competitive soccer, lacrosse, ice hockey, tennis, and golf. We thought field hockey would be a great complementary sport to our other sports. We were mistaken.

This is why we now hate field hockey:

- NO LEFT-HANDED STICKS - I am left-handed, but field hockey makes all its players shoot right! You are forced to use a right handed grip as left-handed sticks are not allowed! I own left-handed golf clubs, leftie hockey sticks, and I shoot left. What kind of sport does not accommodate left-handers?

- STICKS ARE RIDICULOUSLY SHORT - They are so short you are forced to play in a stooped, very uncomfortable manner which seems like it would lead to long-term back problems. Ice hockey sticks are much longer and you bend at the knees so you are not in a forever hunched over position like in field hockey.

- THE RULES ARE REALLY COMPLICATED, STUPID, AND OPEN TO SUBJECTIVE INTERPRETATION - Like no touching ball to anyone's foot, no using wrong side of stick head (results in a really dorky way of hitting the ball by having to sweep around it), no "shielding" the ball from opponent, no hitting the ball "too hard", no touching another player's body, no touching another player's stick, no raising the stick in a "dangerous way," only 2 players can touch the ball, etc...

- NO CONTACT / NO "OBSTRUCTION" SPORT - I do not need a heavy contact sport, but the rigid rules penalize players for barely touching another player, another stick, touching ball-to-foot, shielding the ball, etc.. There was a penalty whistle every minute because of all these contact/obstruction rules which really limited my enjoyment of the sport.

What is up with this sport? Do people really enjoy playing it?

I now have a much deeper love and appreciation for ICE HOCKEY - fastest, most skilled game ever....

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-12-2012 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports