U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more likely to happen first for DFW sports?
A 2nd NFL team? 5 8.77%
A 2nd NBA team in Dallas? 1 1.75%
A 2nd NBA team in Fort Worth or Arlington? 8 14.04%
A 2nd Major League Baseball club near downtown Dallas? 4 7.02%
A 2nd NHL team ANYWHERE in the Metroplex? 1 1.75%
A 2nd MLS team (in Fort Worth)? 2 3.51%
A comeback for Arena Football in either city? (Both Dallas and Ft. Worth had AFL teams at least once) 13 22.81%
A WNBA team anywhere in the Metroplex? 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Status: "Currently experiencing a state of excited delirium" (set 3 days ago)

23,656 posts, read 24,908,368 times

Advertisements

Dallas already has one too many NHL teams
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 02:22 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,070,804 times
I don't think the four major sports leagues + the MLS would put a second team in Dallas ever.

I think the most likely to happen first is another AFL team, because even though the league has decreased in the number of active teams every season since it has came back, it also actively adds a new team or two each year. Even if another rock band has to own that team.

I think a WNBA team would do well in the Metroplex. Hell, I think this area would support any pro team they got. But even if WNBA expansion happens anytime in the near future, it'll be in markets that have established collegiate women's basketball programs - like Baltimore, Tennessee... I know they also wanted to bring back a San Francisco team and I would also like to see the Houston Comets - who still have the most championships in league history - come back.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:37 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,614 posts, read 20,556,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Dallas already has one too many NHL teams
Don't...

Just don't.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:56 PM

256 posts, read 275,968 times
I think you would have to also consider which leagues are looking to expand. NFL probably isn't too interested or else LA would have a much easier time getting a team. I feel like they would have a team before DFW gets a second. MLB doesn't seem to want to expand. They are still keeping up the hoax that they are dying, and in need of change. MLS is expanding, but they just announced the team in Minneapolis. Also, Sacramento and San Antonio are fighting for one of the other expansion teams. NHL is definitely expanding, but it looks like Vegas might actually get a team. After Vegas, NHL would probably go into Houston. Anything football has a chance in Texas, but I would be surprised if somebody would take a chance on bringing a third AFL team into the area. That really only leaves basketball. Either NBA or WNBA. I would assume that the NBA would put a team back in Seattle before Dallas. Then apparently Adam Silver has a goal of expanding into Europe. The WNBA draft was on ESPN the other day so they seem to be getting some assistance in trying to improve the brand. The league is 12 teams right now, and they are trying to expand to 16. It would probably be the WNBA, if any league were to expand into DFW.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:23 PM

19,488 posts, read 29,225,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I don't think the DFW/Metroplex area is a viable two team market in any pro sport, but the sport for which it would be the most viable IMO is football.
So in other words, never. I know this is hypothetical, but another NFL team has no chance in this market going up against the history and brand that is the Dallas Cowboys. A 2nd NBA team is think is most likely over anything.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:10 AM

8,457 posts, read 15,082,360 times
The Dallas metro area is the biggest in the country without two teams in one league. As soon as the major sports leagues realize this, I expect there to be 2 franchises in each the NFL, NBA, and MLB to locate in the Dallas area.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:25 PM

*Ahem*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Dallas-Fort Worth metro area is the biggest in the country without two teams in one league. As soon as the major sports leagues realize this, I expect there to be 2 franchises in each the NFL, NBA, and MLB to locate in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
And I gotta say, I'm surprised that ANYONE is saying DFW could hold a second NFL team. I know I put it on as a question, but we all know the Cowboys own not only this area but most of Texas.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM

8,457 posts, read 15,082,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
*Ahem*

And I gotta say, I'm surprised that ANYONE is saying DFW could hold a second NFL team. I know I put it on as a question, but we all know the Cowboys own not only this area but most of Texas.
Ahem nothing. I mentioned the relevant city in the Dallas area.

I thought the tone of my post was obvious, but I guess not. I think it laughable any pro sports league would entertain a second Dallas team.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Ahem nothing. I mentioned the relevant city in the Dallas area.
Let's not get into this, ok...?

It's "DFW". Not just Dallas.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 AM

256 posts, read 275,968 times
Yeah I can't imagine a second team regardless of league.

Also, if you're using relevance then Dallas would not be the name you would give the area (especially in a sports thread). In order of sports relevance, Arlington would be number one then Dallas. If all you care about is football and no other sports (e.g., many Texans), Ft Worth would easily jump Dallas because of TCU. All Dallas has is SMU, and the NCAA insured they would never be relevant again a few decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports