Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which sports championship would you want most?
Fifa World Cup 8 15.69%
UEFA Champions League 2 3.92%
Super Bowl 13 25.49%
World Series 6 11.76%
NBA Championship 4 7.84%
Stanley Cup 9 17.65%
Rugby World Cup 0 0%
AFL premier 0 0%
Olympic Gold Medal 1 1.96%
FedEx Cup (PGA tour) 0 0%
UFC Championship belt 0 0%
other (specify) 8 15.69%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
You know what I'm saying?
That Rafael Nadal's domination at the French Open and on clay is one of the greatest dynasty's in the history of any sport?
8 wins in 9 attempts - no one can dispute that, and is 1 better than Federer and Sampras's 7 Wimbledons.
I wonder if there has ever been this level of domination in any sport?
Possibly only the America's Cup Yacht race comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
That Rafael Nadal's domination at the French Open and on clay is one of the greatest dynasty's in the history of any sport?
8 wins in 9 attempts - no one can dispute that, and is 1 better than Federer and Sampras's 7 Wimbledons.
I'd rather win Wimbledon then the French Open though.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
maybe by a human

Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
All that I ask when it comes to sports championships is that the Cleveland Browns win at least ONE Super Bowl in my life time!!!! I'm only 40, so there is hope! All though being from Cleveland, and having not seen a championship in my life, and the last one being in 1964 (the Browns) a World Series victory by the Indians would be nice too!

The one I'd most want as a fan has happened in recent history, so I don't have quite the longing I once did. I don't really have a favorite college team I follow regularly, just sometimes find a team appealing in a single season.

As for the pros, I'm from Boston, so I've seen all my favorite pro teams win championships in the past few years. It would take some new dry spells for the real longing for a title to build up again, but the championship I dreamed of most for a lot of years involved the Boston team that's still my favorite, and still the one I'd be most excited to see add another title.

That's why I quoted the passage I did above, because I surely can relate to No1BrownsFan, longing for that championship that never seems to arrive. I can really, really relate to No1Fan's hope for one championship in my lifetime, and I can recall getting to, oh, my late thirties and thinking that the wish, "Just once, someday, before I die" might not be a joke, because it was starting to seem that it seriously might not happen in my lifetime.

Anyone who knows anything about sports lore knows which Boston team was the "just once, someday before I die" team. So, the big moment for me came on Oct. 27, 2004: [as called by Joe Buck] "Red Sox fans have longed to hear it . . . !

So hang in there, No1BrownsFan. It might happen for you yet. Best of luck. (Just not in a year when the Patriots are contenders, okay?)

Oh yeah, another one I'm pulling for these days is partly a matter of local pride. The Lakers are getting way too close to the Celtics in total championships, so I really would like to see the C's add a few more.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
As for the pros, I'm from Boston, so I've seen all my favorite pro teams win championships in the past few years.
That is actually quite remarkable if you think about it.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
The one I'd most want as a fan has happened in recent history, so I don't have quite the longing I once did. I don't really have a favorite college team I follow regularly, just sometimes find a team appealing in a single season.

As for the pros, I'm from Boston, so I've seen all my favorite pro teams win championships in the past few years. It would take some new dry spells for the real longing for a title to build up again, but the championship I dreamed of most for a lot of years involved the Boston team that's still my favorite, and still the one I'd be most excited to see add another title.

That's why I quoted the passage I did above, because I surely can relate to No1BrownsFan, longing for that championship that never seems to arrive. I can really, really relate to No1Fan's hope for one championship in my lifetime, and I can recall getting to, oh, my late thirties and thinking that the wish, "Just once, someday, before I die" might not be a joke, because it was starting to seem that it seriously might not happen in my lifetime.

Anyone who knows anything about sports lore knows which Boston team was the "just once, someday before I die" team. So, the big moment for me came on Oct. 27, 2004: [as called by Joe Buck] "Red Sox fans have longed to hear it . . . !

So hang in there, No1BrownsFan. It might happen for you yet. Best of luck. (Just not in a year when the Patriots are contenders, okay?)

Oh yeah, another one I'm pulling for these days is partly a matter of local pride. The Lakers are getting way too close to the Celtics in total championships, so I really would like to see the C's add a few more.

The last championship in Cleveland was in 1964 and that was the Cleveland Browns who won the NFL title prior to calling it a Super Bowl. I was born in 1973 and I'm 40. I've seen a lot of "almosts" with the Browns in the 80s (make no mistake an exciting time) who came up just short against Elway and the Broncos, and the 90s with the Indians. Then we had the Cavs who went to the finals only to get swept by the Spurs.

Today is the start of training camp for the Browns. With each new year brings fresh excitement and renewed hope, that it could be the year. I think very soon with this new regime in place, the Browns will give their fans something to be excited about. Not to mention the Indians are hanging around and only a couple of games back of the Tigers.

As for college teams.... I root for Ohio State, because I am an Ohioan, and it's the largest university in the state. I did get to see them win the National Championship in 2002. I also root for Kent State, because they're close, and my wife graduated from there.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
^^ I hear ya

Different code, different country.. Similar drought
My Aussie rules side was founded in 1873. We have won the competition once. 1 ! In 1966. I wasn't born then. Really it's a feat we're even still around
I've seen 3 grand finals (equivalent to Super Bowl)
First one we were up by 24 points at half time and managed to lose
2nd we lost by 10 points on a wet day
3rd time round...firstly ended in a draw. A freaking draw! 30 seconds prior,my favourite player kicks the ball.. It's short & bounces to the right. If it went to the left.. We would have won.
And due to an old rule that meant no extra time. Play an entire new game the next week
And we were smashed

Starting to think i'll be one of many who won't see it in my lifetime.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
As for the pros, I'm from Boston, so I've seen all my favorite pro teams win championships in the past few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That is actually quite remarkable if you think about it.
Calling it remarkable is actually a bit of an understatement. After the Bruins' championship two years ago, I realized that I couldn't recall a time in my memory when one city had gotten titles in all four of these sports in so short a time. I did some checking, and found that in fact the six-plus years between the Patsies' last title in February '05 and the Bruins' championship clinched in June '11, with one each for the Sox and Celts during the interim, is the record for shortest time it's taken one city to win titles in all these sports. In fact, very few cities have had championships in three sports in that time.

When it comes to numbers of championships over a similar period, two others that compare well are Pittsburgh in the '70's, with two WS wins by the Pirates and four SB titles by the Steelers, and the NYC metro area in the '90's, when the Giants, Devils, Rangers, and Yankees all won championships, with several for the Yankees, but Pittsburgh's involved only two sports and NYC's three.

The best any city has ever done in a single year was Detroit in I think 1935 (doing that one from memory rather than looking it up, so I could be a year or two off, but it was in the '30's). The Tigers won the World Series, the Red Wings the Stanley Cup, and the Lions (yes, there actually was a time when they were good) the NFL title all in the same year. Some question could be raised about the significance of this to the local populace. I have to at least wonder whether really all that many people in the U.S. cared much about hockey at the time, even in the cities with NHL clubs, and the NFL didn't really take off in popularity until the '50's and '60's, when the games became a weekly television event, so it could be that the Tigers' Series win was the only title that was viewed as being really huge. Still, three championships is the record for one city in a single year.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The last championship in Cleveland was in 1964 and that was the Cleveland Browns who won the NFL title prior to calling it a Super Bowl. I was born in 1973 and I'm 40. I've seen a lot of "almosts" with the Browns in the 80s (make no mistake an exciting time) who came up just short against Elway and the Broncos, and the 90s with the Indians. Then we had the Cavs who went to the finals only to get swept by the Spurs.

Today is the start of training camp for the Browns. With each new year brings fresh excitement and renewed hope, that it could be the year. I think very soon with this new regime in place, the Browns will give their fans something to be excited about. Not to mention the Indians are hanging around and only a couple of games back of the Tigers.

As for college teams.... I root for Ohio State, because I am an Ohioan, and it's the largest university in the state. I did get to see them win the National Championship in 2002. I also root for Kent State, because they're close, and my wife graduated from there.
Yeah, it's been a long time for Cleveland when it comes to winning anything. In addition to the various playoff near-misses, Cleveland was also the victim of a cruel accident of timing, when the Indians first became really good--good enough to have a serious shot at a championship--in '94, so there was one season in their peak years when they lost even a shot at a title, when the strike cut the season short.

It is true that Bostonians got to see quite a few championships in other sports during the angst-ridden wait for their beloved wayward child to join the club, but when it comes to one team's history, what you recount here about the Browns sounds all too familiar. The waiting and waiting and hoping for even just one championship for the city's most beloved team of all, just one "someday before I die", and the heartbreaking near misses, are all something I can relate to in a big way. But the Sox did prove that the long wait sometimes can pay off, so keep the faith.

Re Ohio State, I went to college in Ohio and continued living there for several years after college. I never became a big Buckeye fan, but that past connection does lead me to pull for them when they're contenders. They were for sure the team I pulled for in that overtime national championship game. And what a game that was! Wow.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
I picked the World Cup. Second for me is the World Series. The Super Bowl is too hyped for my taste: the weeks leading up to it, analysis, the never ending pre-game show, more analysis, the same 'ol half time shows and even more analysis.

The World Cup is amazing and it takes years of qualifying to get there and then the actual World Cup tournament is hard. The world-wide audience is mind boggling. Countries even shut down for the final.

-Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports