Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:39 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,949,296 times

Advertisements

Well the dust has only just settled from Wimbledon, and no doubt the end of a week long party in Britain.
Since that thread is now looking at the upcoming events, it is only fitting to start a new thread.
The Hard Court season is just starting go gain momentum, although there are still a few clay court events this month, before really hotting up next month on the ATP Tour:

2013 Calendar - Tennis - ATP World Tour

Most of the Top 10 players will be going to Montreal and Cincinnati for ATP 1000 events, in preparation for the big one - the 2013 US Open.
At this early stage for the US, most betting has Novak Djokovic very slight favourite over defending champion Andy Murray - 15/8 vs 2/1, with the others at much longer odds, including Del Potro- who was outstanding at Wimbledon:

US Open Mens Betting Odds | Tennis Betting | Oddschecker

Interesting, World Number 3 David Ferrer, is a rank outsider.
The US Open surface is a slightly faster surface than the Australian Open, this slightly favours Murray over Joker.
At this early stage, it would seem another classic final between Murray and Djokovic is very likely on the cards.
It should not be forgotten that there are numerous Hard Court, as well as Indoor, ATP events after the US as well in 2013.
The Women's is now open for discussion as well.

Last edited by Derek41; 07-13-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,802,166 times
My bets are Murray will beat Djokovic in a 5 seter, Serena will roar back and win without dropping a set. I am hoping Tsonga is fighting fit also, he could get his form back if he is back quickly.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,202,652 times
At this point I would pick Djokovic to win in New York, just because he's always done very well there (3 straight finals and 4 overall, 6 straight semifinals), even if he's only won the U.S. Open once.

IMO, Nadal should be a strong third-favorite at the U.S. Open not far behind Djokovic and Murray. Nadal did do very well in the pre-clay court season hard court events he played in this year. I'd also rank del Potro ahead of Federer in terms of odds of winning in New York after Delpo's very strong showing at Wimbledon. (Of course, I also said Tsonga was a dark horse at Wimbledon after his surprisingly strong showing at Roland Garros and where did that get him?)

The hard court Slams, especially the U.S. Open, generally are the most wide-open IMO because all the top players (not only the Big Four but also the Second Four and many of the other players in the top 20 below the top 8) are good hard court players. Del Potro has won the U.S. Open, and both Ferrer and Berdych have been semifinalists there. (Tsonga has never advanced past the quarterfinals in NYC, the only Slam in which he has not reached the semifinals at least once, but I definitely think he has the ability to do so.)

Old 07-15-2013, 08:47 AM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Gotta go with Roger Federer.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 AM

7,964 posts, read 11,802,166 times
That's an out of touch call! He has NO chance.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 AM

933 posts, read 1,471,184 times
I'm going with Serena Williams and Roger Federer to win the US Open.

Serena is downright pissed about losing that Wimbledon match, and will take her anger out on the rest of the field. When Serena lost a match at a major the previous two times, she came back and won the next major. She is going to really want to win this one to atone for Wimbledon. We also have to remember that this is her home major, giving her added motivation.

It might seem ridiculous for me to pick Roger, but I think he gives us a big surprise. We love writing Federer off, but until Wimbledon this year, he had made a ridiculous amount of major Quarterfinals. He's been right in the mix a lot. I truly believe this Wimbledon was a mere blip in the road, and he will get on track at the US Open. I do think he has another major or two in him, and he will be determined to show everyone he is not done after losing at Wimbledon. Also, he doesn't have the pressure of the major Quarterfinals streak on his shoulders, so I believe he will be able to play more free. A lot of people wanted to write Roger off before 2012 Wimbledon and he won it, and I believe he will prove the doubters wrong once again and win the 2013 US Open.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM

It is now some 5 years since the Fed last won this event, although he was Runner Up in 2009 to Del Potro.
His cause is not helped by his now Number 5 Ranking, and over 1000 points behind Number 4, as of this weeks rankings.
This will mean a possible Quarter Final against one of the Top 2.
He will also need to continue to compete in the upcoming tournaments, both to accumulate and defend points.
Currently he is playing in Hamburg on Clay (ATP 500 event):

bet-at-home Open - German Tennis Championships - Tennis - ATP World Tour

Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM

Nadal has also gone to Number 4, and should go to Number 3 if he keeps competing in the minor events, as he has no points to defend from last year.
There are some bigger points on offer next month.
His form up until the French was superb, including winning at Indian Wells, so will be watching closely what happens between now and the US. The fact that he was not around this time last year is why he has over-inflated early Odds.
FWIW I am backing Djokovic, I think the disappointments of last year's US, French (2012 Final and 2013 Semi narrow losses to Nadal) and Wimbledon this year -will fire he him up, and will find a way to win.

Last edited by Derek41; 07-15-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 03:41 PM

293 posts, read 249,092 times
Andrew has begun rigorous preparation for his U.S. Open title defense...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-kim-sears-pictures-2055730

Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,910,875 times
The best bet for the Semi-Finals are the following players:

Djokovic
Murray
Nadal
Federer
Del Potro
Tsonga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports