Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,087,827 times

Advertisements

I think Jr. Griffey would've broken a lot of records. Shame that he had so many injuries.

Grand Hill was supposed to be the next Scottie Pippen, remember? I would also put Penny Hardaway into the same category as Grant Hill. Both were extremely talented players and had unlimited potential.

I saw a Bo Jackson segment on TV and that man was a beast. His was probably the most heartbreaking because he was good at 2 sports!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,974,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Iron Tyke was a great fighter, but I think he was exposed against James Buster Douglas, which was not a fluke loss, in my view. Tyson was great against fighters against whom he could use speed and agility. But against boxers who could throw a left jab, he had no answer. All the great heavyweights - Foreman, Ali, and maybe even a younger Larry Holmes - would have beaten Tyson. Lennox Lewis crushed him. He would have done that if they had been ten years younger, I think.
Tyson was old and way out of practice by the time he fought Lewis. That fight really has no bearing on Tyson's true ability. That's like counting the Marciano fight against Joe Louis.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Tyson was old and way out of practice by the time he fought Lewis. That fight really has no bearing on Tyson's true ability. That's like counting the Marciano fight against Joe Louis.
Check the facts again, bro. Lennox Lewis is the same age as Mike Tyson, so that's one excuse that can be tossed out the window forever. It's not just me who said that Mike Tyson, as great as he was, had some fatal flaws as a fighter; Angelo Dundee said it and Emanuel Steward was adamant about it. Dundee pointed out specifically that Tyson was vulnerable to the left jab - the very punch that Buster Douglas landed time and time again. Steward's prediction was that Tyson would be washed up by age 30, and he was right. Tyson was a fast and accurate puncher, but his height and short reach were huge disadvantages. Consequently, he relied a lot on his speed and agility. If you wanna say he would have been the undisputed champ another year or two after his loss to Douglas had he stayed with his fundamentals, I'd go along with that. But ultimately, I think Dundee and Steward were both prophetic: Dundee knew that a great boxer with strength and stamina could stand up to Tyson mentally, and Steward knew that Tyson's speed would forsake him in a big way by the time he was 30. Once Tyson lost his speed, he was an easy target for power punchers with long reaches. Lennox Lewis might have lost to Tyson in 1987 or 1988, but he would have destroyed him anytime after 1992.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,159,902 times
Bill Walton, Bo Jackson, Len Bias, Marcus Dupree.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,334,468 times
Agree about Bo Jackson. He was a phenomenal and rare combination of explosive speed and strength that was tailor made for the NFL and MLB.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times
Len Bias, maybe top 10 greatest of all time.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,105,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Check the facts again, bro. Lennox Lewis is the same age as Mike Tyson, so that's one excuse that can be tossed out the window forever. It's not just me who said that Mike Tyson, as great as he was, had some fatal flaws as a fighter; Angelo Dundee said it and Emanuel Steward was adamant about it. Dundee pointed out specifically that Tyson was vulnerable to the left jab - the very punch that Buster Douglas landed time and time again. Steward's prediction was that Tyson would be washed up by age 30, and he was right. Tyson was a fast and accurate puncher, but his height and short reach were huge disadvantages. Consequently, he relied a lot on his speed and agility. If you wanna say he would have been the undisputed champ another year or two after his loss to Douglas had he stayed with his fundamentals, I'd go along with that. But ultimately, I think Dundee and Steward were both prophetic: Dundee knew that a great boxer with strength and stamina could stand up to Tyson mentally, and Steward knew that Tyson's speed would forsake him in a big way by the time he was 30. Once Tyson lost his speed, he was an easy target for power punchers with long reaches. Lennox Lewis might have lost to Tyson in 1987 or 1988, but he would have destroyed him anytime after 1992.
after Dundee died Tyson wasn't the same fighter, after which he destroyed a few more tomato cans prior to the Douglas fight and everyone (including Tyson) thought that Douglass was a tomato can too.

he just got a lot more hittable as time went by.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,439,425 times
Steve Prefontaine
Roberto Clemente
Roger Staubach (he had a navy commitment before he played pro football)
Hakeem Olajuwon (Had he grown up in the US and played from a young age...)

I'm tempted to write Tiger Woods.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,105,887 times
Marcus Allen- great player, had his career put on hold because of the emergence of Bo Jackson and a fued with Al Davis that kept him on the Raider bench long after Bo Jackson's injured hip kept him from playing.

Out of Ink: Marcus Allen vs. Al Davis -- explained, and never explained

Excerp from the article
What do you think of a guy who has attempted to ruin your career?" Allen told Al Michaels. "When someone messes with your livelihood--this is what I've wanted to do since I was 8 years old, and this very thing has been taken away from me and not, I don't think, for a business reason, but for a personal reason."
Asked if it was a personal vendetta, Allen said: "No question about it

Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,439,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Marcus Allen- great player, had his career put on hold because of the emergence of Bo Jackson and a fued with Al Davis that kept him on the Raider bench long after Bo Jackson's injured hip kept him from playing.

Out of Ink: Marcus Allen vs. Al Davis -- explained, and never explained

Excerp from the article
What do you think of a guy who has attempted to ruin your career?" Allen told Al Michaels. "When someone messes with your livelihood--this is what I've wanted to do since I was 8 years old, and this very thing has been taken away from me and not, I don't think, for a business reason, but for a personal reason."
Asked if it was a personal vendetta, Allen said: "No question about it

Marcus could do it all, run, catch, and throw. I was a Raider fan when they played in LA but I don't remember too much about that Bo/Al/MA problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports