Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Not really, it stops approximately every 5 seconds. I'd call it a part-time sport.
Part-time... full-time... half-time... whatever time... you said it's a sport soooooo why does this argument continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,128,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Not really, it stops approximately every 5 seconds. I'd call it a part-time sport.
Kickoff, long commercial break--three downs, punt, long commercial break----man down, long commercial break---field goal, long commercial break, kickoff, long commer....................official time out----long

Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Having played football in the past, I'm a little offended by the tone of this thread. Football is great, physical sport loaded with a lot of strategy. Obviously, you're always going to have people who don't understand the intricate details of the sport's strategy enough to appreciate it, so they're going to start threads complaining about the commercials and all the other hoopla that comes with it. That's fine. I don't like baseball, so I don't watch it. Problem solved. I don't like soccer, beyond watching my nephews play in their little league, so I don't watch it. Problem solved.

This argument of "soccer is more of a sport than football" is as old as methuselah. It's usually started by soccer fans or the "no sport type" who don't understand (American) football. I realize that Europe's first love is soccer. That's fine with me. America's first love is football. Who cares past that point? You tried football and you don't like it. Your loss, not ours (football fans.)

Old 09-11-2013, 02:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Don't the Brits call soccer, soccer? Your parents are probably wondering; "blimey love, where did we go astray?"
not really

there is a program called Soccer Saturday that is on Sky. But it's called football. I've never heard anyone refer to it as soccer.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
not really

there is a program called Soccer Saturday that is on Sky. But it's called football. I've never heard anyone refer to it as soccer.
Around here soccer is called divegrass. The sport is loaded with names.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Around here soccer is called divegrass. The sport is loaded with names.
why divegrass? I don't get it.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,234 times
Quote:
why divegrass? I don't get it.
Players dive on the grass and show off their acting skills in attempt to get referees to flash a colored index card. It is particularly prevalent during World Cup time when most casual fans are watching.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Players dive on the grass and show off their acting skills in attempt to get referees to flash a colored index card. It is particularly prevalent during World Cup time when most casual fans are watching.
I hate diving as well and I think FIFA definitely needs to do something about it. Players who do it need to be punished for it retroactively even if the referee doesn't see it.

But lots of sports have similar problems. The NBA has a flopping problem. The NFL has its own problem with players faking injuries.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:
not really

And I don't know anyone on meth. Doesn't mean that it never happens...

It seems like some of you just can't accept the fact that different countries have different cultures. Hell, the STATES alone in America have their own identities, even.

Also for that "faking injuries" comment about the NFL, that's not exactly an issue. The issue is guys pretending like they're NOT hurt or don't have concussions just so they can get in the game.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And I don't know anyone on meth. Doesn't mean that it never happens...

It seems like some of you just can't accept the fact that different countries have different cultures. Hell, the STATES alone in America have their own identities, even.

Also for that "faking injuries" comment about the NFL, that's not exactly an issue. The issue is guys pretending like they're NOT hurt or don't have concussions just so they can get in the game.
ugh yes NFL players fake injuries to slow up no huddle offenses. It's become an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports