Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Dude, divegrass is the 5th most popular sport in the USA, deal with it. Also, watch NFL Redzone channel if you hate commercials. Football is far and away the most popular sport. The National FOOTBALL League is the richest, most watched professional league on the entire planet.

Other countries need to join the 21st Century and play football instead of divegrass. Unless you are a goalie, divegrass players are actors who are distance runners. In football there is a huge range in the diversity of athletes, body types, and skill sets. For globalized world, we should unite behind football over divegrass because of the diversity of players.
And I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey are entrenched here and while Soccer has gained in popularity it's clearly more a sport for nervous Moms here who fear injury to poor little Chuckie. The problem is once Chuckie grows beyond the age of 12 most would rather be caught dead than running around in short shorts kicking a ball. If there's any kind of inkling of staying close to that as a participant there's always Lacrosse which at least features some scoring excitement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,064,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I watched a little American football today. This is what I saw: lots of commercials. Lots and Lots. Oh and I saw a music artist (Eminem) interviewed during the Notre Dame Fight Irish vs Michigan Wolverines game. He was plugging his latest album. It is called Marshall Mathers LP 2.

So is American football a sport or does it just exist so I the viewer can be advertised to? Is American football simply a means to an end to sell me products?

I watched a movie on TV today. This is what I saw: lots of commercials.
So is it a movie or does it exist so I the viewer can be advertised to?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,838,163 times
Quote:
i am American. I love baseball. There are commercials in baseball between innings and when they change pitchers. There are not TV timeouts.
never thought I'd see the day I see a baseball fan complaining about another sport / event on tv. You've got to be the most patient and understanding of fans to watch baseball to begin with.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times
Quote:
I'm beginning to think you fail at reading comprehension.

Andy said he calls soccer divegrass because of all the diving. I replied that, yes, diving is a problem in soccer and I wish FIFA would do more about it. But I also pointed out that other sports have similar problems. The NBA has its flopping problem and the NFL has the problem of players faking injuries to slow down no-huddle fast paced offenses.

NFL players playing through concussion injuries is an entirely different issue.
... I'm not even talking about what ANDY said, I'm talking about YOU!

I'm getting away from this troll thread. You all go ahead and stay in this p*ssing contest all a want. I'm done replying to 4 year olds.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM

8,594 posts, read 9,093,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Having played football in the past, I'm a little offended by the tone of this thread. Football is great, physical sport loaded with a lot of strategy. Obviously, you're always going to have people who don't understand the intricate details of the sport's strategy enough to appreciate it, so they're going to start threads complaining about the commercials and all the other hoopla that comes with it. That's fine. I don't like baseball, so I don't watch it. Problem solved. I don't like soccer, beyond watching my nephews play in their little league, so I don't watch it. Problem solved.

This argument of "soccer is more of a sport than football" is as old as methuselah. It's usually started by soccer fans or the "no sport type" who don't understand (American) football. I realize that Europe's first love is soccer. That's fine with me. America's first love is football. Who cares past that point? You tried football and you don't like it. Your loss, not ours (football fans.)
HTTR......I do understand the game. I also hate the massive increase of commercials piling up over a span of many years. My fear is one day there will be 3 hours of commercials with breaks showing football instead.....most likely geared toward those fantasy football folks.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM

8,594 posts, read 9,093,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Dude, divegrass is the 5th most popular sport in the USA, deal with it. Also, watch NFL Redzone channel if you hate commercials. Football is far and away the most popular sport. The National FOOTBALL League is the richest, most watched professional league on the entire planet.

Other countries need to join the 21st Century and play football instead of divegass. Unless you are a goalie, divegrass players are actors who are distance runners. In football there is a huge range in the diversity of athletes, body types, and skill sets. For globalized world, we should unite behind football over divegrass because of the diversity of players.
I forgot about Redzone, and I have it.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
I haven't watched that much soccer, but I do admire that when the players get brushed against and fall to the ground having epileptic seizures, the cameras just stay on them flailing around hoping for a yellow or red card until they are miraculously healed. In football, they'd cut to a commercial, but soccer avoids the capitalist allure and stays with the drama of the one act / one man play. I do wish that when their elbow gets bumped, they'd at least try to fain a fracture of that joint instead of rolling around saying they need a liver transplant.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,060,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
To put it plainly there is very little interest in American football in the UK. They tried it on channel 4 and even the BBC, but it failed to generate any real interest. There's just not enough action in the game.
Yet cricket is popular? Don't some matches take three days and they take tea breaks?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,850,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
"American" football IS football. The NFL is the most lucrative and most popular sports league in the world. The NFL has international interest. The six NFL games played at Wembley since 2007 have been sellouts. Once Europeans got a taste for the real product the demand is there for more games and talk of a future NFL franchise in London, possibly using the abandoned stadium from the Olympics.

Besides London, there is interest in other European countries and China. No need to call football "American Football."
No it's not. The NFL is not popular outside of North America. The English Premier league is the most popular sports league in the world. By far.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,850,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon. Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey are entrenched here and while Soccer has gained in popularity it's clearly more a sport for nervous Moms here who fear injury to poor little Chuckie. The problem is once Chuckie grows beyond the age of 12 most would rather be caught dead than running around in short shorts kicking a ball. If there's any kind of inkling of staying close to that as a participant there's always Lacrosse which at least features some scoring excitement.
World Cup game between USA and England drew 17.1 million viewers. That beat the NBA Finals between Lakers and Celtics which drew 15 million.

The World Cup also beat the World Series and the Stanley Cup finals in TV ratings.

World Cup TV Ratings Keep Pace With NBA Finals | NBC Bay Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports