Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
USA 13 38.24%
Europe 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Remember - atmosphere makes a stadium and in that department Europe wins hands down.
So true. I prefer any day a small Scottish stadium with 5000 people above a 300,000 spectator Nascar-behemoth where everyone just eat hot dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I have been to a good many stadiums in the USA (Philly, Phoenix, Giants, Yankees, Tigers, Diamondbacks, Ford, etc.) and to even more in Europe (Ibrox, Porkhead, Anfield, Goodison, Old Trafford, Man City - old and new -, Wembley, Murrayfield, Hampden, Wankdorf, Lyon, etc. etc.).

In terms of facilities, US stadiums beat European ones by a long way. They are more comfortable for the spectator, they have far better catering and access tends to be easier. European teams seem to take fans for granted and, mostly, the facilities on offer are considerably more rudimentary compared to the USA.

In terms of atmosphere, US stadiums just don't cut it. While college seems to be better than pro sports, US fans seem to lack passion and organization. This leads to the use of pre-programmed 'prompts' by the PA systems to try to get the fans going. I went to a Mexico v USA soccer match at Giants Stadium and the Mexican fans gave the US ones a lesson in how to support their team. There is very little collective singing or chanting and even less spontaneity about US fans.

The other problem for pro sports in the USA , at least in terms of atmosphere, is that ordinary fans are increasingly getting priced out of games. So you get more 'corporate' seats with people that don't really have much of an emotional attachment to their team. In Europe, sport is still very affordable for ordinary people.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I went to a Mexico v USA soccer match at Giants Stadium and the Mexican fans gave the US ones a lesson in how to support their team. There is very little collective singing or chanting and even less spontaneity about US fans.
its important to compare apples to apples. soccer is a much bigger deal in mexico than the u.s.

i'm not saying that american stadiums are better or worse than european, because I haven't visited a european stadium. however, if you want to compare in terms of atmosphere, you definitely have to compare the right sporting events. The best sports atmopshere in america is at a college football game -- particularly the bigger schools in the SEC, Big 12, or the Big Ten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cl-f8NABMM

Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
PA systems to try to get the fans going. I went to a Mexico v USA soccer match at Giants Stadium and the Mexican fans gave the US ones a lesson in how to support their team. There is very little collective singing or chanting and even less spontaneity about US fans.
I went to the US vs. Jamaica soccer game in KC last weekend and I have never seen so much flag waving, patriotism, and overall tomfoolery at a sporting event. My throat was killing me from yelling chants the whole game. I didn't even know we had them prior to going to that game. The main difference I can see is that this game was at a soccer-specific stadium over around 20k people and not a football behemoth like your experience.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
In terms of atmosphere, US stadiums just don't cut it. While college seems to be better than pro sports, US fans seem to lack passion and organization. This leads to the use of pre-programmed 'prompts' by the PA systems to try to get the fans going. I went to a Mexico v USA soccer match at Giants Stadium and the Mexican fans gave the US ones a lesson in how to support their team. There is very little collective singing or chanting and even less spontaneity about US fans.
No we sure don't go around singing songs here and you would probably get laughed at doing so...
Its something you do at College games

Jump Around Wisconsin vs. Penn State - YouTube

The best you get in pro sports is for sure an Eagles game.

Eagles Fans throw snowballs at 49ers fans (Funny Or Messed Up? U Decide) - YouTube

Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Jaguars fan is being laughed out of his home stadium

Eagles fans bid farewell to a Jags fan - YouTube

Old 10-18-2013, 12:37 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So true. I prefer any day a small Scottish stadium with 5000 people above a 300,000 spectator Nascar-behemoth where everyone just eat hot dogs.
You are comparing Apples to Oranges. Really Nascar?

What about this in the U.S.:

Penn State:

Penn State Zombie Nation - YouTube

We are...Penn State... Best. One. Ever. - YouTube

Ohio State:

Stand Cheers from Student Section Ohio State University vs Nebraska 10 6 2012 - YouTube

Wisconsin:

WISCONSIN JUMP AROUND in student section at Camp Randall, Madison - YouTube

Random:

Five epic college football stadium scenes - YouTube

Yeah these people look like they are just eating hot dogs....

Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
its important to compare apples to apples. soccer is a much bigger deal in mexico than the u.s.

i'm not saying that american stadiums are better or worse than european, because I haven't visited a european stadium. however, if you want to compare in terms of atmosphere, you definitely have to compare the right sporting events. The best sports atmopshere in america is at a college football game -- particularly the bigger schools in the SEC, Big 12, or the Big Ten.

American College Football - YouTube
I have been to pro-football, college football and pro-baseball in the USA. I am not just comparing US soccer to European soccer.

And I have looked at the Youtubes that have been posted. Pretty tame stuff to be honest.

These guys don't need the PA to tell them what to do:

55.000 CRAZY FENERBAHCE FANS JUMPING - YouTube

And this is how you say goodbye to opposing fans - "we can see you sneaking out"

We can see you sneaking out - Marching on together - YouTube

Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
The US has a great and passionate fan and sports culture, but it's just so different from Europe. You could say that in America the fans goes to watch the show, in Europe they make the show.

The Art of Pyroshow || Aris vs paok 2-0 - YouTube

And remember - No pyro, no party!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Let's add Basketball to the mix:

Duke:

Cameron Crazies! - YouTube

Maryland:

Maryland Students Flash Mob and Harlem Shake - YouTube

Kansas (fast forward to 1:45):

Decibel record broken at Allen Fieldhouse KU vs MU basketball 2/25/2012. New Pre-tip video! - YouTube

Illinois:

paint the hall orange '07 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports