Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:56 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,996,947 times

Advertisements

Add to the list of those deceased since Wrestlemania VI the likes of Macho Man, Hercules (Hernandez), Earthquake, Mr Perfect, Rick Rude and Dino Bravo - though murdered.

Ultimate Warrior: One-Third Of WrestleMania VI Competitors Now Dead | ThePostGame

Obviously Andre the Giant had a disease or disorder that caused his premature death.
The likes of Big John Studd, though not featured here, also died likely attributable to this lifestyle.
Along with the British Bulldog etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 02:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
A sobering list

DEAD WRESTLERS

Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Just found time to read my own link..
I think theres something seriously wrong in the world of wrestling, i'm surprised there hasnt been some kind of inquiry into the abnormal number of premature deaths in the industry//

Old 04-13-2014, 07:23 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just found time to read my own link..
I think theres something seriously wrong in the world of wrestling, i'm surprised there hasnt been some kind of inquiry into the abnormal number of premature deaths in the industry//
Ostensibly, that's what the wellness policy is about.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Ostensibly, that's what the wellness policy is about.
Heres the wellness policy described WWE News: Wellness Policy Being Discussed After Ultimate Warrior Deathand while its a good step in the right direction its probably more of a wink wink nudge nudge affair as i suspect several current wrestlers are on the juice/
Batista, Roman Reigns, Big E Langston,Orton,Cena to name a few.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 PM

226 posts, read 284,835 times
Quote:
Heres the wellness policy described WWE News: Wellness Policy Being Discussed After Ultimate Warrior Deathand while its a good step in the right direction its probably more of a wink wink nudge nudge affair as i suspect several current wrestlers are on the juice/
Batista, Orton, and Cena used steroids in the past, but I don't think they are currently using them. I'm not sure about Roman Reigns and Big E Langston. Reigns doesn't look abnormally big and swole.

I'm sure that we'll hear a lot more about wrestlers dying in their 50s and 60s that were big in the 80s and 90s. Back at that time, the backstage environment was very unhealthy with rapid drug and steroid abuse in the locker rooms. It wasn't until after Chris Benoit's death in 2007, when the locker room environment became much cleaner and the WWE became strict on the Wellness Policy.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
It's not the roids that were the problem, it was the coke/booze/painkillers/other hard drugs. From what it sounds like, wrestlers used to party like rock stars on the regular.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
It's not the roids that were the problem, it was the coke/booze/painkillers/other hard drugs. From what it sounds like, wrestlers used to party like rock stars on the regular.
I Agree it was the narcotic pain killers mixing them with heavy drinking heavy partying lifestyle on the Road that caused a lot of their fractured family life's that led to their depression and being banged up pretty bad after their career(s) was over and falling more into the abuse of Rx painkillers a drinking even more heavily cause alot more premature deaths then steroids have in the WWE.

I mean 5 years ago Hogan hit bottom and almost ended his own life based on his own book..

I think it has more to do with the older wrestlers not having any support or union to go to for support after the retire and have career ending injury to be able manage their new life's and they go back to old self destructive habits they picked up on the road.

I am talking the 1980's and 90's wrestlers not the current ones which seem to benefit from the experiences learned from the older guys the preceded them.

I am still amazed that Scott Hall outlived the Warrior due to his issues with substance abuse he has been battling for so long that even Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels are amazed he is still alive after all the time he got clean and fell off the wagon in major month(s) long Drug/Alcohol binge again.

I do think the Wellness policy and the current Generation of superstars lifestyle both on the Road and off the road is a lot different and you will not see as many of them die as young or have as many post WWE wrestling career problems as the 80's and 90 Golden era and attitude era guys either.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
HBO did a good documentary on it DDP really helped out Jake the Snake and Scott Hall a he pretty much saved their lifes from dying from drug addiction/abuse.

DDPTv HBO Real Sports - Dallas Page, Scott Hall and Jake Roberts - YouTube

Old 04-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I Agree it was the narcotic pain killers mixing them with heavy drinking heavy partying lifestyle on the Road that caused a lot of their fractured family life's that led to their depression and being banged up pretty bad after their career(s) was over and falling more into the abuse of Rx painkillers a drinking even more heavily cause alot more premature deaths then steroids have in the WWE.

I mean 5 years ago Hogan hit bottom and almost ended his own life based on his own book..

I think it has more to do with the older wrestlers not having any support or union to go to for support after the retire and have career ending injury to be able manage their new life's and they go back to old self destructive habits they picked up on the road.

I am talking the 1980's and 90's wrestlers not the current ones which seem to benefit from the experiences learned from the older guys the preceded them.

I am still amazed that Scott Hall outlived the Warrior due to his issues with substance abuse he has been battling for so long that even Kevin Nash and Shawn Michaels are amazed he is still alive after all the time he got clean and fell off the wagon in major month(s) long Drug/Alcohol binge again.

I do think the Wellness policy and the current Generation of superstars lifestyle both on the Road and off the road is a lot different and you will not see as many of them die as young or have as many post WWE wrestling career problems as the 80's and 90 Golden era and attitude era guys either.
I have to think physical pain was a big instigator of some of these dudes' problems; they were out wrestling 3-4 times a week, on the road non stop, and I could see how accumulated injuries would drive them to drink even more heavily.

But about the current guys: I was reading an interview, I think with Kevin Nash, where he said the locker room culture is pretty different now, and that after the show the young guys are probably just hanging out playing video games, when in his day they would've been out at a bar or getting high.

UPDATE: I'll post a link to the Nash feature, which if any of you haven't read IMO is one of the best wrestling pieces I've read from the mainstream media: http://grantland.com/features/wrestl...d-keeps-night/

Last edited by Johnbiggs; 04-15-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports