Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,843,571 times

Advertisements

I just got a 250 dollar credit to Amazon, I don't have any clubs in my bag that I want to replace so I want to buy a rangefinder.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I enjoy playing in drizzle, so something that will be able to work in the rain would be nice.

Do the rangefinders have any trouble in marking distances of streams and bunkers?

After researching a bit, I do want to go with one that calculates slope. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,922,069 times
Using a range finder that hunters use is probably best especially if you're concerned with rain. My dad uses a smilar device and he likes it because these do pretty well marking distances if you want to know how far the pin is, or sand traps, water hazards, etc etc.

However.. to be quite honest with you, with the advances of Golf GPS apps on phones today you're probably better off downloading one of the many available apps that are out there. Some are even free... however if you want distances to areas such as traps, and water, and other hazards as well as the green then you pay for those extra features... but it'd be far far less than the couple hundred bucks you'd be looking to spend on an actual Rangefinder.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM

6,563 posts, read 11,210,984 times
I have the Nikon Callaway LR550. Works great. Being waterproof is one of its features. I prefer a range finder as you can just pick any target for distance. The downside is that it has to be line of sight. So not a lot of help getting a distance around doglegs and such.

No slope calculation though. Not sure if you participate in events that use USGA rules, but that isn't allowed.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:21 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,020,435 times
I hear range finders are great and they speed up play for some people but call me grumpy old man because I am against them just like the belly or anchored putters. I think part of the game is having an "eye" or skill of being able to read distance and estimate yardage. I don't know if they allow range finders on tour, but I am dead set against them. I know the proponents will use increase of speed of play as a huge advantage but those same slow people are going to be fiddling around with their range finders just the same as if they were taking 87 practice swings. Now we just added another thing or step in the process of reading distance. But that's me and I know I am out on an island on this issue just like the belly putter and anchoring.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Using a range finder that hunters use is probably best especially if you're concerned with rain. My dad uses a smilar device and he likes it because these do pretty well marking distances if you want to know how far the pin is, or sand traps, water hazards, etc etc.

However.. to be quite honest with you, with the advances of Golf GPS apps on phones today you're probably better off downloading one of the many available apps that are out there. Some are even free... however if you want distances to areas such as traps, and water, and other hazards as well as the green then you pay for those extra features... but it'd be far far less than the couple hundred bucks you'd be looking to spend on an actual Rangefinder.
have tried using phone GPS in the past, and honestly for me I just didn't like having to flip through the holes on my phone. I felt that I spent more time fiddling with my phone and figuring out the hole than I did thinking about my shot and which club I was going to use. I will try to look into some hunting rangefinders also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I have the Nikon Callaway LR550. Works great. Being waterproof is one of its features. I prefer a range finder as you can just pick any target for distance. The downside is that it has to be line of sight. So not a lot of help getting a distance around doglegs and such.

No slope calculation though. Not sure if you participate in events that use USGA rules, but that isn't allowed.
I have been looking at the Nikon Callaway LR550, I think it looks pretty nice. Do you ever have problems with focusing or accidentally locking on a tree behind the pin or somewhere that you don't want to? Do you have any ideas how it compares to a Bushnell V3 or Leupold?

I'm an avid golfer, but a pretty new golfer so I won't be making a handicap (other than my own average for myself) so i'm not too worried about that. Although, the rangefinders with slope are starting to look more expensive than i thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I hear range finders are great and they speed up play for some people but call me grumpy old man because I am against them just like the belly or anchored putters. I think part of the game is having an "eye" or skill of being able to read distance and estimate yardage. I don't know if they allow range finders on tour, but I am dead set against them. I know the proponents will use increase of speed of play as a huge advantage but those same slow people are going to be fiddling around with their range finders just the same as if they were taking 87 practice swings. Now we just added another thing or step in the process of reading distance. But that's me and I know I am out on an island on this issue just like the belly putter and anchoring.
I agree with you completely on this one. Many courses offer GPS on the carts.. but I play solo for about 85% of the rounds I play and I love walking. Using the markers can be a pain because they are so often incorrect, even on very nice courses. On top of that, when you walk to your ball and then have to find the marker and then find an idea of how far away you are.. it can slow down your game and also give you an incorrect club choice. 7 yards off can make a pretty big difference in club selection.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM

6,563 posts, read 11,210,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Not exactly old, but I consider myself pretty "old school" as well (muscle backs, hate carts, only replaced my 2I with a 5W a few years ago, and I'll give up golf before I anchor a putter). That said, I've used a laser for quite a few years. To me, its not that much different than relying on yardage markers (yardage books, sprinkler heads, plaques, stakes, etc.). In the end, you still have to hit the shot right?

The use of rangefinders is up to local rules (I've rarely played in a tournament that won't allow one). But one that provides more than just distance violates USGA rules (slope, wind, humidity etc.). The PGA doesn't allow it during competition. But do allow it during practice/pro-am rounds. You'll see caddies using them while updating their yardage books.

And yea, it speeds up play because you don't have to walk around looking for sprinkler head (and then pacing off the distance). But it does nothing for those that are just annoyingly deliberate on the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
have tried using phone GPS in the past, and honestly for me I just didn't like having to flip through the holes on my phone. I felt that I spent more time fiddling with my phone and figuring out the hole than I did thinking about my shot and which club I was going to use. I will try to look into some hunting rangefinders also.

I have been looking at the Nikon Callaway LR550, I think it looks pretty nice. Do you ever have problems with focusing or accidentally locking on a tree behind the pin or somewhere that you don't want to? Do you have any ideas how it compares to a Bushnell V3 or Leupold?

I'm an avid golfer, but a pretty new golfer so I won't be making a handicap (other than my own average for myself) so i'm not too worried about that. Although, the rangefinders with slope are starting to look more expensive than i thought.

I agree with you completely on this one. Many courses offer GPS on the carts.. but I play solo for about 85% of the rounds I play and I love walking. Using the markers can be a pain because they are so often incorrect, even on very nice courses. On top of that, when you walk to your ball and then have to find the marker and then find an idea of how far away you are.. it can slow down your game and also give you an incorrect club choice. 7 yards off can make a pretty big difference in club selection.
I like the LR550 because it doesn't actually lock on. You can press the button, and just sweep around for the distance of whatever it hits. So adjustments can be continuous. Its also nice (all lasers in general) since as long as it gets a reflection back, it'll tell you the distance. So I often also look at bunker lips, edge of hazards etc. And even on the tee box, you can see what the distance is to the edge of a fairway or whatnot.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

And yea, it speeds up play because you don't have to walk around looking for sprinkler head (and then pacing off the distance). But it does nothing for those that are just annoyingly deliberate on the course.

Just waiting for the day I'm behind a 4some and all four are sharing one rangefinder on the green and getting down on their knees and taking 5 mins a person to putt

Old 02-01-2015, 10:01 AM

8,277 posts, read 23,020,435 times
I've seen people using their phones as range finders and that will just add to slow play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports