Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the French Open (Rolland Garros) 2014
Rafael Nadal 4 28.57%
Novak Djokovic 6 42.86%
Stan Wawrinka 0 0%
Roger Federer 2 14.29%
David Ferrer 0 0%
Andy Murray 2 14.29%
Tomas Berdych 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I don't understand how Murray, Ferrer, Wawrinka, and Berdych are mentioned, but Tsonga is left out. Tsonga can deliver surprises like Del Potro did.
1) Tsonga hasn't shown his pre-injury in late summer 2013 form yet.

2) Tsonga's weakest surface is clay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
After last year's epic French Open semifinal between Nadal and Djokovic, Nadal's great 2013 season and overall dominance on clay, and Djokovic's strong play since this year's Australian Open, it would be hard to pick anyone but Nadal or Djokovic (with a respectful nod to Stan Wawrinka, who is very good on clay but may still be "full" after winning his first Grand Slam title in Melbourne in January).

Federer would probably be my third or fourth choice (after Wawrinka in the latter case); he's been playing pretty well. Ferrer looks like he's finally falling off from his level from the last three years. Murray still hasn't fully recovered from his injuries, doesn't have Lendl anymore, and clay is his weakest surface. Berdych is a dark horse, but he's probably better on hard courts and grass than on clay.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Andy is a double slam winner and silver and gold olympic medalist who has took Britain to the semi finals of the Davis Cup today for the 1st time in 30 years he is a step above the ones you mentioned quaker.
That all sounds good on paper but surface has a lot to do with it. Clay is Murray's weakest surface and I think we can all agree on that. He also still has room to improve. Of course he is still an excellent player and does have a shot, but I don't think he should be considered a favorite against proven claycourters.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:06 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Yeah I know Andy is poor on clay - that wasn't what I was replying to.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yeah I know Andy is poor on clay - that wasn't what I was replying to.
Ok? Seemed to me you were addressing Quaker's post about Tsonga, which had to do with the French Open ... Seemed to me that Quaker was talking about chances at the French Open and not saying Tsonga was better than Murray...

Old 04-08-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Ok? Seemed to me you were addressing Quaker's post about Tsonga, which had to do with the French Open ... Seemed to me that Quaker was talking about chances at the French Open and not saying Tsonga was better than Murray...
Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I don't understand how Murray, Ferrer and Berdych
My point is Murray is a level or two above these guys so shouldn't be mentioned alongside them. He has a better chance than them but less a chance than Novak and Rafa.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:16 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Monte Carlo draw has just been released:

Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters - Tennis - Draws

Top players headline the start of the touney, not sure why Murray is not there (Paul?):

Big Three Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer Headline Monte-Carlo - Tennis - ATP World Tour

Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post

Top players headline the start of the touney, not sure why Murray is not there (Paul?):

Big Three Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer Headline Monte-Carlo - Tennis - ATP World Tour
Why? Because he knows that he has no chance!

I am kidding!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 PM

No idea.

And yes I know he has no chance!

Never know though. Need one of the big 2 out early to be in with a shot.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 PM

351 posts, read 499,762 times
Djokovic obvious favorite for Monte Carlo..

Good to see Federer FINALLY playing Monte Carlo...but though that's probably because of Mirka's pregnancy..he wouldn't to miss Rome / Madrid and have no warm-up tournaments for the FO

Hope to see Stan pick up his form
--

On the women's side, the field is wide open (like it always is except the past few years)
Serena showing signs of old age, losing to Cepelova at Charleston...Petkovic winning Charleston
Doesn't look like Sharapova will be able to defend Stuttgart with her current form, Azarenka out until the FO (?), Radwanska...I don't know what's going on with her, after her AO run..

Logically, the favorites for the FO should be Serena and Li, but as I said earlier, Serena is showing some signs of old age, and Li is just too inconsistent
I literally have no clue as to who will win the FO, while on the men's side, Djokovic or Nadal is pretty much a lock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports