Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:18 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
Today's paper says he kicked himself getting out of the gate -- his rear right leg caught his front right leg. They say it is like 'ripping off a fingernail" and hard to imagine he wasn't in some pain... how could it not have affected his run??
Chrome was kicked by Matterhorn. Ride On Curlin was also bleeding and finished last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
He has a point though... and I believe the jockeys' association recently called for a change in the triple crown schedule to boot. They would like them once a month for three months rather than this extremely grueling schedule of 3 races in 5 weeks. OF COURSE the rested horses have an advantage! That's why the NBC reporters were asking the owners of those rested horses if they weren't going to "feel guilty" if they were the spoilers. They KNOW they didn't gow thru the same wringer as the horses who had done both the Derby and Preakness. There is something to be said for all horses running every race... and if they skip the Preakness they can't run in the Belmont. I am totally on board with that! Yes Coburn sounded like a sore loser but I can understand the frustration -- not that he didn't know it going in.

There's a very good column on the espn website about 'why there won't be another Triple Crown winner" - several factors are involved, including the (legal) medication issue as most horses run on Lasix or another drug, and that it is more difficult for them to recover from each race because of it. Horses in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s (last decade of a TC winner) were not on these drugs.
We were just talking about this with our son in law and daughter over a glass of wine, a few minutes ago. The best thing, the owner could have done was make his objections known prior to the race: maybe saying something like: if a horse that has not competed in the first 2 races wins, I am going to be a little unhappy or something like that.

You are right about the old races compared to now. This has been my point; we are raising a different breed of athletes period including horses. It is tough to expect a horse today to run 3 major races in 5 weeks and compete against horses who have only run one. I think it hurt Ride on Curlin as well.

We still have to remember, tacky statement, he said it how he saw it and no one ever claimed he had class. That is what made the story so much a human interest one.

As for lasix, how many of you have ever known a human on it: yes, it does, over a period of time take something out of that person. It would do the same to an animal I would think.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Today's paper says he kicked himself getting out of the gate -- his rear right leg caught his front right leg. They say it is like 'ripping off a fingernail" and hard to imagine he wasn't in some pain... how could it not have affected his run??
The two articles we have seen today did say he kicked himself. You are reading the same thing we are.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:18 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
First off, I know absolutely nothing abour horse racing. I just assumed all these years, in the TC, all the horses were meeting for the third time. To have fresh horses haven not races in the first 2, to race in the third when a horse is going for the TC win. Just seems nuts to me. Looks like horse racing has some strange rules to me.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
First off, I know absolutely nothing abour horse racing. I just assumed all these years, in the TC, all the horses were meeting for the third time. To have fresh horses haven not races in the first 2, to race in the third when a horse is going for the TC win. Just seems nuts to me. Looks like horse racing has some strange rules to me.
It's because they are 3 separate events run by 3 different states. It's not like a playoff where only some get to advance.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:52 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It's because they are 3 separate events run by 3 different states. It's not like a playoff where only some get to advance.
Absolutely. Its the derby/preakness/stakes first then the triple crown second. These are significant races and it is in their best interest to have the best horses available at the times of those races. Whats next, Nadal pulls out of australian open with an injury, so he can't play in wimbledon?

Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 AM

Photo of the incident where CC was injured:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpknYdBCMAEs0QR.jpg:large

Old 06-09-2014, 12:12 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Absolutely. Its the derby/preakness/stakes first then the triple crown second. These are significant races and it is in their best interest to have the best horses available at the times of those races. Whats next, Nadal pulls out of australian open with an injury, so he can't play in wimbledon?

I realize that there's two distinct sides to this argument, both have their merits, but a better analogy would be "Nadal pulls out of the early rounds with an injury, and is allowed to compete for finals". Not exactly.

I was thinking it is like letting bike racers enter individual stages of the Tour de France. Not how it works, instead people get eliminated if they fall too far behind the leaders, and the field gets smaller. But yeah, you have a point. They are three different entities, and it does not benefit them to exclude the best racers in deference to the TC (maybe).

Old 06-09-2014, 12:33 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
I find it apropos to this discussion that we just had an HVAC outage cause a NBA superstar to quit (Lebron) while when the same thing happened din 1984 another superstar (Bird) had one of his best playoff games ever.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
It would be nice if we had a forum for horse racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports