Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Once the "novelty" (as it were) wears off, it's no longer a big deal. To me, I could care less if an athlete is gay, and where I have a real problem is whether they flaunt it a lot. It gets way too much attention as it is. Who cares about a person's sexual orientation when the real issue in sports is, "Can this athlete play the game?"? In the end, where sports teams are concerned, it's how they play the game and not how they play the field.
What would you consider flaunting their sexuality? Would it be flaunting if they got married or if their boyfriend came to the games? Do you get similarly annoyed when people flaunt their heterosexuality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
The whole thing has been hyped by the media, looking to create controversy for their headlines. As if a pro player coming out would break down the last great wall of resistance. It's ridiculous, a number of retired pros have come out after their playing days were over and many have said their teammates knew.

The J-E-T-S Sheldon Richardson was Michael Sam's roommate in college and he said he knew back then and it didn't matter to him.
I think you have missed the point: it has nothing to do with his roommate, it has to do with his coming out of the closet. You can say it has been hyped by the media but it was Sam himself, who started the hype by bringing it to the surface. The first anything is always news. To most of us, it makes no difference in the long run, but it still was news. If it isn't anything, not news, etc. why did Sam's have to make a deal out of it?

Now it is yesterdays news and no one is going to pay much attention as others start coming out. At least not as much attention. I am glad Sam's did come forward, now others don't have to deny or hide their sexual orientation.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you have missed the point: it has nothing to do with his roommate, it has to do with his coming out of the closet. You can say it has been hyped by the media but it was Sam himself, who started the hype by bringing it to the surface. The first anything is always news. To most of us, it makes no difference in the long run, but it still was news. If it isn't anything, not news, etc. why did Sam's have to make a deal out of it?

Now it is yesterdays news and no one is going to pay much attention as others start coming out. At least not as much attention. I am glad Sam's did come forward, now others don't have to deny or hide their sexual orientation.
Only Sam knows for sure why he made the announcement. I believe it was because he had every intention of living an openly gay lifestyle and just wanted to put it out there from the get go. At any rate the haters are out in full force on twitter today after Sam was the recipient of the Arthur Ash award at the ESPY's last evening.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:18 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
What would you consider flaunting their sexuality? Would it be flaunting if they got married or if their boyfriend came to the games? Do you get similarly annoyed when people flaunt their heterosexuality?
I took it to mean groping and french kissing.

I never see that in the general population and I live in a large metropolitan area where there are more of them.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 PM

346 posts, read 351,884 times
You have to remember that the United States is quite conservative compared to other countries. Even Canada is much more liberal compared to their neighbors to the south. We have a significant portion of our country that wears white sheets and wants to eliminate the black population. You think they're going to be tolerant of homosexuals?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:55 AM

437 posts, read 548,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Who cares what they do in their private lives, its barely relevant. They make way more of it than they should.
It's cus the media wants as many gay athletes to come out as possible cus they want to promote it even more than they're already doing

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
It's cus the media wants as many gay athletes to come out as possible cus they want to promote it even more than they're already doing
100% nonsense.

Post some links to back this "promote" thing up and I'll take a look. I follow sports and I do not see this at all. Reporting what sportswriters may see as shock value is not the same as an outright promotion of the lifestyle.

As I previously posted I think the whole thing is stupid and in the front of the line are the players who do this. No announcement of their lifestyle is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports