Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
But to be perfectly honest, I will be happy with any winner who is not Djokovic.
Why are you hating on Djokovic. He give up a VERY important point:

Novak Djokovic Gives Point To His Opponent Instead Of Replaying It
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
The last time a teenager knocked out world number 1 at a Grand Slam was in 2005. It was Nadal taken out Federer and Nadal has arguably become the best tennis player ever.
The major difference though, Nadal won the Grand Slam after beating then number 1. Can't say the same about this teenager. I will be VERY impressive if he reaches even the Semis.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Why are you hating on Djokovic. He give up a VERY important point:

Novak Djokovic Gives Point To His Opponent Instead Of Replaying It
I have disliked Djokovic for 7 years now. It's not like I am "hating on him" out of nowhere. On the contrary, I feel like I have many good reasons to dislike him, which I don't share here because I'm no Thirty All and I'm not obsessed.

Anyway, his action of conceding a point is not going to make me like him. Sure, it's decent of him to do but it's certainly not the first time I've seen anything like it. Nadal and Murray and others have conceded points before.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Is (Kyrgios) a member of the next generation of Top 10, or maybe even Top 5 or higher?
It's too early to tell, but the fact he already had a couple of good wins at Grand Slam events over top 20 players even before beating Nadal is a good sign. I was looking up Kyrgios' stats yesterday, and he's shown significant improvement this year over last year (which albeit is not too surprising for a 19 year old player). If he continues his ascent, you could actually argue he's part of the generation AFTER the guys born in the 1989-1992 time frame who should be serious factors at every Grand Slam by now but are only now starting to truly emerge (primarily in the form of Raonic and Dimitrov, who have looked like the best players of their particular generation or portion of a generation for the past year or so but both are making their first Grand Slam semifinals appearance in this year's Wimbledon tournament).

I should note the women's game has a much stronger set of good young players than the men's game; three of them (in seed order, Halep, Kvitova, and Bouchard) are in the Wimbledon semifinals. Halep and Bouchard in particular have been impressive this year, and Bouchard especially is still very young (20 years old).

Old 07-02-2014, 07:04 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Djoker hopefully should get past Dimitrov- who finally makes a Grand Slam semi, and be primed to win it.
Raonic a dark horse imo, his serve is huge and guys like this do trouble Djoker, and in fact he worries me more than Federer. I am not going to pretend hide my dislike for Fed - especially after the things he has said about Novak, so would be happy to see him go regardless of this.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I am not going to pretend hide my dislike for Fed - especially after the things he has said about Novak, so would be happy to see him go regardless of this.
What did Fed say about Djokovic?

Last edited by Quaker15; 07-02-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I am bias I know - but Murray is looking pretty unplayable so far.
Quote:
He lost in straight sets.
well, he certainly is unplayable at this point now

Old 07-03-2014, 08:20 AM

1,553 posts, read 924,654 times
Would LOVE to see Dimitrov stuff Djokovic.

The Great Fed will have his hands full with Raonic. Hopefully he can pull thru...

Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I am not going to pretend hide my dislike for Fed - especially after the things he has said about Novak, so would be happy to see him go regardless of this.
Sorry Derek, I have to address this.

Are you talking about when Federer called out Djokovic for faking injuries years ago? Because that was true. Djokovic withdrawing against Federer in the clay season in 2008 due to a "sore throat" was pathetic. Federer said it was. Suddenly he is the bad guy for pointing out what everyone else knows. Do you hate Roddick too for the SARS comments during the U.S. Open in 2008? ALL players knew Djokovic faked injuries back then because he did.

What has Federer said recently that is bad? As far as I know he once called Djokovic "the best" and I've seen him make lots of nice comments about him. All I've read recently is that Federer said Nadal was unbeatable on clay, but said all other matches were "on his racket." That is typical Fed arrogance where anyone could feel insulted, not just Djokovic.

Let's remember that Djokovic's family (particularly his father) has trashed Federer numerous times with comments like Djokovic would never lose to Federer again? Yet that's fine I guess. They've trashed Nadal too so I suppose they are equal opportunity. Of course Djokovic is not his father and shouldn't be held accountable for what he says, but that may be a reason for Federer's continued dislike of Djokovic.

Yes, Federer can be a jerk and I have disagreed with his arrogant comments before. But I 100% agree with everything I've seen him say against Djokovic.

Quote:
What did Fed say about Djokovic?
He called him out for fake injuries and medical timeouts back around 2006-2008, when Djokovic was indeed faking a lot of stuff. I understand he had a respiratory problem at one point but that got fixed. Everyone knew back then that his medical timeouts were pure gamesmanship. It is not like other players like Nadal haven't done this before (or Murray suddenly grabbing at his leg when he is losing), but Djokovic was the biggest culprit back then. Since about 2009, though, he has gotten much better.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:45 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Sorry Derek, I have to address this.

Are you talking about when Federer called out Djokovic for faking injuries years ago? Because that was true. Djokovic withdrawing against Federer in the clay season in 2008 due to a "sore throat" was pathetic. Federer said it was. Suddenly he is the bad guy for pointing out what everyone else knows. Do you hate Roddick too for the SARS comments during the U.S. Open in 2008? ALL players knew Djokovic faked injuries back then because he did.

What has Federer said recently that is bad? As far as I know he once called Djokovic "the best" and I've seen him make lots of nice comments about him. All I've read recently is that Federer said Nadal was unbeatable on clay, but said all other matches were "on his racket." That is typical Fed arrogance where anyone could feel insulted, not just Djokovic.

Let's remember that Djokovic's family (particularly his father) has trashed Federer numerous times with comments like Djokovic would never lose to Federer again? Yet that's fine I guess. They've trashed Nadal too so I suppose they are equal opportunity. Of course Djokovic is not his father and shouldn't be held accountable for what he says, but that may be a reason for Federer's continued dislike of Djokovic.

Yes, Federer can be a jerk and I have disagreed with his arrogant comments before. But I 100% agree with everything I've seen him say against Djokovic.

He called him out for fake injuries and medical timeouts back around 2006-2008, when Djokovic was indeed faking a lot of stuff. I understand he had a respiratory problem at one point but that got fixed. Everyone knew back then that his medical timeouts were pure gamesmanship. It is not like other players like Nadal haven't done this before (or Murray suddenly grabbing at his leg when he is losing), but Djokovic was the biggest culprit back then. Since about 2009, though, he has gotten much better.
All of those issues are definitely part of my beef and personal opinions.
It is no secret that Federer and Nadal (though to a lesser extent) have not warmed to Novak and vice versa, and did not like him gate-crashing their duopoly. What Djoker's old man said, whilst not particularly tactful or discreet, probably did reflect the attitude between the 3 of them.
Federer has also been passive aggressive and underhanded in his remarks, like the fashion in which he lost the 2011 US Open Semi - where he undermined Djokers approach, and cheering against him in the 2012 RG championships where Novak had the chance to win a Career Grand Slam plus even more significant -all 4 in a row - something neither he or Nadal could do (both did 3 in a row, Federer did it twice), and nobody else could do in the Open Era since Rod Laver, and something that may never be done again.
Anyway, lets leave it at that, and I perfectly understand why rival fans do not like Novak and his antics as well. How these guys get on in the locker room and outside of tennis though is obviously between themselves.
Rafa went away with Novak to South America late last year to promote the game, so they seem to get on well now and their differences are behind them. Federer not so much.

Last edited by Derek41; 07-03-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports