Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:02 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times

Advertisements

Place of birth should be biggest factor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,080 times
Place of birth is irrelevant if you leave that area before you're old enough to start following sports. I was born in the bay area, but we moved away when I was 3. I have no cultural ties to it. For me it has more to do with where I was when I started following said sport.

NBA- Chicago Bulls. Grew up in Iowa, no local teams. Timberwolves and Bulls were the closest. One had Michael Jordan, the other did not.
NCAA- Nebraska. Lived in Lincoln prior to Iowa, and then went to school there after graduating high school.
MLB- Arizona Diamondbacks. I didn't really follow MLB until my late 20s, when a) I was living in Phoenix and b) my son started getting interested in baseball
NFL- Don't really have a favorite. Having lived in Arizona and Seattle, and having parents who pushed the 49ers and Packers, I am favorable to all these teams, but don't claim allegiance to any one team. I have always hated the Cowboys (even though I now live in their territory, that will not change). I much prefer college football, even though Nebraska hasn't done anything recently.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Place of birth is irrelevant if you leave that area before you're old enough to start following sports
Well yeah, where you are raised I mean.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 PM

217 posts, read 208,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Place of birth should be biggest factor
Right. Because everyone is born in a state or city where a professional sports franchise is located.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:52 PM

Well nearest then! You just have a another culture state side. We SUPPORT our local teams it's tribalism. We have a name for those who don't - glory hunters.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Support my home state and home city in all sports.
Am from Sydney originally, but have been gone for over 20 years and so have no more affiliation there (accept in the cricket - in T20, but usually just the state team in other formats of the game).
Other than that NSW Waratahs and State of Origin teams pick themselves.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:08 AM

183 posts, read 292,449 times
I pick my sports teams because I live here in Pakistan.

Cricket: TEam Pakistan
Soccer: FC barcelona.. though not a Pakistani but they got messi naymer and other great players
hockey: TEam Pakistan

Old 03-12-2015, 03:05 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,951 times
NBA - Dallas Mavericks: First started watching basketball in 2006 when I watched the NBA Finals with my dad.
NFL - Houston Texans: The season Tony Romo took over for the Cowboys midseason and finished 1-4 including that painful playoff snap to Seattle.
MLB - Texas Rangers: When I got into a sport, I generally supported Dallas over Houston. I started watching the Rangers when they weren't good, but remember great times like Sammy Sosa's 600th home run, a walk off grand slam by Marlon Byrd to beat the Yankees, then in 2010 Neftali Feliz striking A-Roid out to send the Rangers to the World Series!
NHL - Dallas Stars: Only team in Texas.
MLL - Charlotte Hounds: They were an expansion team that came into the league in 2012, which was generally when I started keeping up with lacrosse.
NCAA - North Texas Mean Green: Currently attend school there. Baylor Bears: I was born in Waco.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 AM

143 posts, read 158,643 times
I posted this for another thread but will post here as well since it's more relevant to this subject

NFL-Green Bay. I was born in WI and it was just a birthright. Growing up when they were coming back from the dead under Favre and Holmgren didn't hurt either. Also own shares of the team

MLB-Seattle. Lived in Seattle during my coming of age years. I started watching baseball when they had their best stretch in the mid-late 90s and early 00s. I have a casual rooting interest in the Braves since growing up they were on TBS and were the only team beside the Mariners I could watch regularly. Living in the south kinda rekindled that. However it's no contest the Mariners will always be my team

College-Auburn. Went to school there. Prior to that didn't have a rooting interest in college athletics.

NHL-Toronto. Since there was no local team where I grew up and I liked the sport, I was that guy that picked them based on my liking of their uniforms. I have no shame for that, other than picking a perennial disappointment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports