Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:39 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Was Cilic even in the top 10, outside the Big 4, most likely to win the next Grand Slam two weeks ago?
He might have been at the bottom end of the top 10 most likely players to win the U.S. Open besides Djokovic, Federer, or Murray. Cilic has played well this year, and his game, not unlike Juan Martin del Potro, translates well to hard courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
You're silly, Quakerboy.

By your logic ANYONE who is non-white is exempt from criticism, otherwise it's "racism".

I'm going to give your childish screams of "racism" a pass though since I suspect you're doing it to troll. You have a nice day now, ya hear.

Hater!!! Are you calling me a troll?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
He might have been at the bottom end of the top 10 most likely players to win the U.S. Open besides Djokovic, Federer, or Murray. Cilic has played well this year, and his game, not unlike Juan Martin del Potro, translates well to hard courts.
In other words, MOST people wouldn't pick him to be in the Quarter Finals 3 weeks ago.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Damn yet another drug cheat wins the men's US open

Old 09-09-2014, 03:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Anti-climatic finals....only Women's Doubles finals had any excitement in my opinion. It was a good couple of weeks to watch tennis.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
In other words, MOST people wouldn't pick him to be in the Quarter Finals 3 weeks ago.
Well, Cilic wasn't seeded to make the quarterfinals.

Cilic did play the highest possible seed he could play in the 3rd round (Kevin Anderson), QF (Berdych), and SF (Federer). David Ferrer was upset before he could play Cilic in the 4th round, and obviously Djokovic was upset in the semifinals before he could play Cilic in the finals.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:43 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Damn yet another drug cheat wins the men's US open
Yes, there are question marks and now increased scrutiny about the current champ, but previous champs that you have alluded to have been rigorously and relentlessly tested- and not been found to use doping.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:51 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Well, Cilic wasn't seeded to make the quarterfinals.

Cilic did play the highest possible seed he could play in the 3rd round (Kevin Anderson), QF (Berdych), and SF (Federer). David Ferrer was upset before he could play Cilic in the 4th round, and obviously Djokovic was upset in the semifinals before he could play Cilic in the finals.
Cilic had a dream run, but was in beast form at the end.
I don't believe anyone (including Djoker or even Nadal) could have stopped him, a run similar to Delpo in 2009- they even look and play similarly!
With no disrespect , just like Delpo -even though he is still active, this is a once in a lifetime performance- and can't ever see Marin replicating this again.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM

74 posts, read 66,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I don't really like Serena but she is clearly better than most of the other women, and she doesn't have to dope to be good. Watch it before you accuse players of cheating. Just makes you look like a classless jerk.

Hmm so exactly how are you an expert? Ask Gasquet, Cilic and Troicki about nobody caring about drugs in tennis.
Gasquet, Troicki, and until a couple of weeks ago, Cilic don't move the needle. Did you hear me state I was an expert? Your words, not mine.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Default Fav womens tennis player now?

SIMONA HALEP from Romania. Wow, stole my heart & bootstings she has. I like Angelique of Germany, now residing in Poland (my dad's country) but Simona just does me in. If only I was in my 20-30s again.

How bout u guys? Forget US tennis as Serena & Venus took that way yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports