Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times

Advertisements

The various sports channels that we receive broadcast poker, darts, horse racing, and bowling on a regular basis, and sometimes some other non-mainstream "sport" to fill a time slot. But Chess is ignored completely. Anyone who has played competitive chess will tell you that it's more than just a game. Personally, I would love to see chess tournaments broadcast on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Chess is a badass game to play and tests your mind like people dont know. But I wouldnt call it a sport. I dont rate Poker as a sport, who in their right mind says that I show you a fool. The others you need to be at least somewhat active to do, albeit drunk for darts.

As for a time filler, I can assure you the masses can think of nothing more mundane than watch Chess on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
The various sports channels that we receive broadcast poker, darts, horse racing, and bowling on a regular basis, and sometimes some other non-mainstream "sport" to fill a time slot. But Chess is ignored completely. Anyone who has played competitive chess will tell you that it's more than just a game. Personally, I would love to see chess tournaments broadcast on TV.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:18 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
It's quite simple.

If you could aim a camera at a plant just sitting there and processing sunlight and get enough viewership to turn a profit, there would be a show on doing just that.

There just aren't enough people that would watch a chess match.

However, that's what the internet is for.

Shrug.

P.S. I'd like to watch frisbee golf.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
When ESPN 8, The Ocho, is actually a real channel then maybe, just maybe, you will get your wish.

Seriously do you really need to be told that chess is a very limited audience and makes no financial sense for a network to cover?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:36 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
Chess requires no athletic ability, not even agility even like darts etc. any

Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Chess requires no athletic ability, not even agility even like darts etc. any
Neither does baseball. Hell, I can grab my crotch and spit and run out to a mound of dirt yelling and flailing my arms like an idiot.
Why not make chess a 'sport', too?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Because 'sport' has a definition and chess does not fit that definition.

Quote:
2, sport, noun
: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other
: sports in general
: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment
Sport - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Essentially, chess lacks a physical skill component. It requires no strength or dexterity. It is entirely a mental game, the usual physical board notwithstanding as that device is no more than a scoreboard.

Save for poker, the other games you mentioned do require a physical skill component, and thus are sports. And poker, it should be obvious, is not a sport merely because a certain cable channel televises it.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
one has to be not too close to death to be able to finish a match, not sure if that qualifies as a sport but it should count for something at any rate.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:26 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Of course chess is not a sport. But neither is poker and that is the OP's point becuause it's all over ESPN. The problem is poker is popular and still pulls ratings. Chess has no chance.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:10 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
I'm a big chess fan, but it's way too hard to be mainstream.

-One of the beauties of poker, a complete amateur can sit at the table with Phil Ivey, Phil Hellmuth, etc and think they at least have a shot. Thus the big poker boom. Remember Chris Moneymakers big win?

-Contrast that with chess. If Garry Kasparov (or Magnus Carlsen) does a simul against 10 or 20 guys, they're going to win 80% of the games, and draw maybe 20%. An 800 or 1200 rated player against 2700 or 2800 stands no chance.

I've enjoyed watching chess online, something you can't get from tv. The Carlsen - Anand match last year was great. Looking forward to the one that starts on friday.

There was a tournament in Zurich earlier this year. Great Carlsen - Nakamura game among others. But it wouldn't get 50,000 views on tv. Chess can be pretty long, 4, 5, 6 hour games.

There needs to be more of a back story about competitive chess. What goes into preparation. What is the training regimen like. What are the physical fitness requirements. That should be half of the show. Similar to how the NBA put the spotlight on individual players in the 90's. You really feel like you got to know them, it wasn't just a game.

Chess needs someone like David Stern in the marketing department. They need to sell a story if they want to be more mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports