Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not only do I go back to the 1950s I remember when we had an assembly at school and the speaker was an x wrestler. He told us how phony it can be. I guess that sorta ended a love for watching it on our 10 inch black and white TV.
I cant believe a wrestler would use phony to describe his sport,granted its scripted and choreographed but wrestlers are out there doing some hard core physical moves to entertain the audience along with intriguing storylines. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Gorgeous George on the tube in the late 1940s, but the most entertaining of the oldies was Antonina Rocca who was on TV a lot in the 50s.
Rocca was way ahead of his time. He really was one of the first high flying type of wrestlers that are now the norm.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Bring back the midgets!

Seriously, they had some of the most entertaining matches I remember. I guess it is not ‘politically correct ‘ to have them wrestle.
They should be allowed to earn a living like anyone else.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant believe a wrestler would use phony to describe his sport,granted its scripted and choreographed but wrestlers are out there doing some hard core physical moves to entertain the audience along with intriguing storylines. .
Believe me it is true. He even gave us examples. Remember, I posted X or retired. this doesn't even mean famous or anything, just he used to take part in the sport. I do not think high school wrestling is phony but pro wrestling, at least 50 ago was noted for being nothing but an entertainment activity.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:42 PM

262 posts, read 202,149 times
Starcade 1997

Main Event was Sting Vs Hulk Hogan.

To this day most epic wrestling entrance ever, complete with Micheal Buffer.

I was 9 years old and it was the first time I was ever allowed to stay up that late. Only a couple of days after Christmas; it is one of my fondest childhood memories. I even got to have ice cream after 8pm. Wow, that was a great night, topped off with our hero Sting winning the belt..... ahh memories.

Who cares they screwed the whole thing up the next night?

Old 06-03-2018, 12:49 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
I started casually viewing wrestling magazines and saw part of a few shows while turning channels. A friend was into it and had tons of wrestling magazines. I went to an event with him in July of 1981. It was where the WWF used to tape shows in Allentown PA. Mostly all stars against jobbers with at least 1 competitive match. TV would always show tag team title matches and I saw Tony Garea and Rick Martel win over the Moondogs. I was hooked. These shows also had a dark non televised main event usually involving the WWF Champion Bob Backlund against a heel challenger like Angelo Mosca or Sgt. Slaughter.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
sometime in the 90's with Paul bearer and the undertaker.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:08 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Usually guys who expose the business like the one described just did not have the talent to make it, and become just a bunch of sour grapes. Jim Wilson was like that also, although his book is interesting and some stuff is true. On the other hand a lot of it is exaggerated or outright false. Jim Wilson was not good. He was an uncoordinated oaf. He made unsubstantiated comments in his book that he was being considered to be NWA Champion. The is clearly false . This is why years ago they were selective who they let in the business. They did not want people who just could not cut it to whine and tell everybody it's fake. When you are let in the business, even in this day and age you swear an oath to protecting respect it.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I remember seeing televised events from the Fort Hesterly arena in Tampa back in the late 60s,i even attended a few shows there =
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_H...esterly_Armory

Old 06-16-2018, 05:05 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Portland Wrestling in the late 70's.
Rowdy Roddy Piper and Rick Martel vs Playboy Buddy Rose and his Army who at the time were The Sheepherders, who later became Luke and Butch, The Bushwackers in WWF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports