Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Sports: football, basketball, baseball, nascar, soccer.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times

Advertisements

Picking up with the series, here's the sports version of "Your #1 [item]."
  • #1 NFL team: Dallas Cowboys
  • #1 NBA team: San Antonio Spurs
  • #1 MLB club: Houston Astros
  • #1 NHL team: Dallas Stars
  • #1 Soccer Club: FC Dallas
  • #1 All-time Athlete: Emmit Smith
  • #1 Athlete now: Ladainian Tomlinson (even though he's a crybaby).
  • #1 College Team: (Football) TCU / (everything else) Texas
  • #1 NASCAR Driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
  • #1 Favorite mascot: the Panther
  • #1 sports venue: (past) Yankee Stadium / (present) Reliant Stadim / (future) New Cowboys Stadium
  • #1 sports moment: (3-way Tie)'Boys win their 5th super bowl. / Vince Young and Longhorns beat USC in Nat'l Championship. / TCU upsets Oklahoma in 2005.
  • #1 reason why you love sports: It keeps us together. It divides us, but mostly brings us together, especially after hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
#1 NFL team: Dallas Cowboys (grew up with them)...my number #1 team overall.

#1 NBA team: Phoenix Suns (Not a big fan of the NBA since MJ and the guys left)

#1 MLB club: Chicago Cubs (grew up with them)

#1 NHL team: Phoenix Coyotes

#1 Soccer Club: Pass...not a big soccer fan. Maybe the USA during World Cup

#1 All-time Athlete: Michael Jordan and Randy White

#1 Athlete now: Tony Romo and D. Ware

#1 College Team: (Football) USC (10 years in So Cal) / (everything else) NMSU Aggies

#1 NASCAR Driver: Jeff Gordan (I like that he pisses everyone off)

#1 Favorite mascot: NMSU Pistol Pete (can you tell I went to school there)

#1 sports venue: (past) Wrigley Field / (present) University of Phoenix Stadium / (future) New Cowboys Stadium

#1 sports moment: Cowboys win their 5th super bowl. NMSU beats UNLV the year the Rebels won it all. Michigan losses to App State (gotta love that)

#1 reason why you love sports: Bring people together. Healthy (not the Raiders fans) for people to root for a common cause. Fun and takes your mind off things...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM

100 posts, read 427,686 times
#1 NFL team: Seattle Seahawks-hometown pride

#1 NBA team: Phoenix Suns- Steve Nash has skills

#1 MLB club: Seattle Mariners- grew up lovin them

#1 NHL team: Detroit Red Wings

#1 Soccer Club: CHIVAS!

#1 All-time Athlete: Joe Montana or MJ

#1 Athlete now: Sidney Crosby or Nate Burleson

#1 College Team: Football-WSU Cougs Basketball-WSU or Duke Baseball-OSU!!

#1 NASCAR Driver: Dale Jr.

#1 Favorite mascot: the Mariner Moose

#1 sports venue: (past) Wrigley Field / (present) University of Phoenix Stadium / (future) New Cowboys Stadium (agreed, except i also like Quest Field)

#1 sports moment: Boise State last year Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

#1 reason why you love sports: fun to play, watch, and live.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times
#1 NFL team: Washington Redskins- Childhood hometown pride
#1 NBA team: HATE THE NBA, used to like the "Charlotte" Hornets-don't watch anymore
#1 MLB club: Boston Redsox
#1 NHL team: Washington Capitals
#1 Soccer Club: DC United
#1 All-time Athlete: Michael Jordan
#1 Athlete now: Peyton Manning
#1 College Team: University of North Carolina Tar Heels
#1 NASCAR Driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr.- But I'm not a big NASCAR fan
#1 Favorite mascot: the Spider from U of Richmond!!!
#1 sports venue: RCA Dome in Indianapolis/RFK Stadium in DC
#1 sports moment: (2-way tie) (1)The Indianapolis Colts win the AFC Championship by taking down the Evil Empire Patriots in January of 2007 after being down 21-3. WHAT A GREAT GAME!! (2) The UNC Tar Heels go 5-0 against the "little" Ten and complety destory them in the Final Four (Wisconsin, Michigan State and Illinois in the final) to win the National Championship in 2005
#1 reason why you love sports: Fun to play, enjoy watching and talking about it and most of all brings us together.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 AM

133 posts, read 555,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Picking up with the series, here's the sports version of "Your #1 [item]."
  • #1 NFL team: Dallas Cowboys
  • #1 NBA team: San Antonio Spurs
  • #1 MLB club: Houston Astros
  • #1 NHL team: Dallas Stars
  • #1 Soccer Club: FC Dallas
  • #1 All-time Athlete: Emmit Smith
  • #1 Athlete now: Ladainian Tomlinson (even though he's a crybaby).
  • #1 College Team: (Football) TCU / (everything else) Texas
  • #1 NASCAR Driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
  • #1 Favorite mascot: the Panther
  • #1 sports venue: (past) Yankee Stadium / (present) Reliant Stadim / (future) New Cowboys Stadium
  • #1 sports moment: (3-way Tie)'Boys win their 5th super bowl. / Vince Young and Longhorns beat USC in Nat'l Championship. / TCU upsets Oklahoma in 2005.
  • #1 reason why you love sports: It keeps us together. It divides us, but mostly brings us together, especially after hard times.
I'm going to have some of the same answers as you, neighbor.

#1 NFL team: Dallas Cowboys
#1 NBA team: Dallas Mavericks
#1 MLB club: Texas Rangers
#1 NHL team: Dallas Stars
#1 Soccer Club: FC Dallas
#1 All-time Athlete: Bobby Clark
#1 Athlete now: Sergei Zubov
#1 College Team: University of Denver Pioneers Men's Hockey
#1 NASCAR Driver: Gascap Louie
#1 Favorite mascot: The Phillie Phanatic
#1 sports venue: (past) Reunion Arena / (present) Invesco Field / (future) Undecided
#1 sports moment: 10/05/93 - Neal Broten scores first-ever goal in Dallas Stars history (I know, not franchise history).

Old 01-17-2008, 02:23 PM

217 posts, read 346,427 times
#1 NFL team: atlanta falcons
#1 NBA team: san antonio spurs
#1 MLB club: toronto blue jays
#1 NHL team: dont like hockey
#1 Soccer Club: real madrid cf
#1 All-time Athlete: matt hughes
#1 Athlete now: matt hughes
#1 College Team: texas
#1 NASCAR Driver: dont know anyone
#1 Favorite mascot: dont know
#1 sports venue: AT&T center
#1 sports moment: not sure
#1 reason why you love sports: its fun, good for your health, brings people together.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
  • #1 NFL team: St. Louis Rams
  • #1 MLB club: St. Louis Cardinals
  • #1 NHL team: St. Louis Blues
  • #1 All-time Athlete: I really don't know.
  • #1 Athlete now: Still not sure
  • #1 College Team: Mizzou maybe
  • #1 Favorite mascot: Fredbird. Louie is funny, too, though.
  • #1 sports venue: new Busch Stadium. Beautiful and tastefully built.
  • #1 sports moment: Yadier Molina's homerun, Game 7, NLCS. I think the NLCS was a better/more competitive series than the World Series
  • #1 reason why you love sports: Because they're fun to play and fun to watch. And they're a great conversation piece.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,352 times
I'm all Chicago...

#1 NFL team: Chicago Bears - I grew up with a "Black and Blues Brothers" poster over my bed and Walter Payton was my first idol. My earliest sports memories were of the 1985 Bears, which set up the unrealistic expectations that I have for the team to this day.

#1 NBA team: Chicago Bulls - Special place in my heart here since basketball was my favorite sport to play and I felt like I grew up with MJ's Bulls more than any other team - MJ started just when I was old enough to start watching sports and, by the time of the second three-peat, I was in college. I doubt any of my teams will have an amazing run like that ever again in my lifetime.

#1 MLB club: Chicago White Sox - Native South Sider ('nuff said). As beautiful as Wrigley Field might be to watch a game, I'll never be a front-running Cubs fan. Being a Frank myself, Frank Thomas was my favorite baseball player growing up. The 2005 World Series run might have been the most surprising season one of my teams have ever had.

#1 NHL team: Chicago Blackhawks - I really enjoyed hockey back when the Hawks had guys like Chris Chelios and Jeremy Roenick, but then the franchise did everything to drive their fans away up until this season. Hockey is a fantastic sport to watch in person, yet the team has a long way to go to get me to watch them on a regular basis again.

#1 Soccer Club: I thoroughly enjoy the passion of the World Cup, but other than that, I don't watch much soccer.

#1 All-time Athlete: Michael Jordan - As I noted before, I was lucky enough to witness him as a hometown fan during my entire childhood - no one has provided more great sports memories for me.

#1 Athlete now: Devin Hester - I don't know if he'll be an all-time great, but I think we have to appreciate this special period of time where he's just unstoppable when he receives a kickoff or punt. He's an enigma along the lines of that period where Bo Jackson dominated the NFL or when Dwight Gooden came onto the scene in baseball - you know you're witnessing something amazing and you're not sure how long it will last.

#1 College Team: Illinois Fighting Illini - After going to school there, they are my number one team of all. I went to the Rose Bowl this year and it was an ugly game, but the fact that we were even there after going through such an awful period of football was wonderful enough. The 2005 Illini basketball team is right up there with the 1985 Bears and the 1996 Bulls on my list of favorite sports teams of all-time.

#1 NASCAR Driver: Even though I went to college in central Illinois, there's not a single ounce of country in me. I have no answer for this.

#1 Favorite mascot: Chief Illiniwek (RIP). Let's also have a moment of silence for the giant beer mug that Bernie Brewer used to jump into. For living mascots, I'm partial to the big Orange guy from Syracuse. I'll also give props to Bernie Brewer's colleagues in Milwaukee - the Italian Sausage, Polish Sausage, and Bratwurst that race every game.

#1 sports venue: Wrigley Field - Even as a diehard White Sox fan, it's still the mecca for any baseball fan.

#1 sports moment:

(1a) 2005 NCAA Chicago Regional Final - Trailing by 15 points with 4 minutes to go in the game, the Illini come back against Arizona to tie the game in regulation and then win it in overtime to move onto the Final Four. It's hard to imagine a more unbelievable and emotional game - that was the highest high that I've ever gotten from watching sports.

(1b) 1998 NBA Finals Game 6 - It wasn't just MJ's famous "final shot" (in my brain, he never played for the Wizards) over Byron Russell, but the entire last minute of that game, where he drove in for a layup on an inbounds pass and then subsequently stripped the ball from Karl Malone (one of the greatest power forwards ever) on the defensive end, which set up that last shot. It was a microcosm of MJ's career - score on an aggressive drive to the basket (which reflected his early years), steal the ball from a Hall of Famer (people need to remember that MJ was also the best man-on-man defender in the NBA when he was playing) and score on a jumpshot (which reflected his final years).

#1 reason why you love sports: As someone else stated before, not too many things in life bring people together the way sports can.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 01-17-2008 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports