Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times

Advertisements

Anyone here wrestle in high school or college? I have some questions.

I am watching the NCAA, and I noticed, when they are in referee's position, a lot of times the defensive guy does not try to peel away the offensive guys hands before he stands. Is there some rule against that?

Like normally the offensive guy has one arm wrapped behind back and over the tummy right. I have yet to see the defensive guy try to peel that hand away. Shouldn't that be the first thing they do?

As for the other arm that is usually in the half nelson (for the offensive guy or guy on top), would it not make sense to pull that arm down, and just roll over to that side? You are almost have scarf hold right there. If you are the bottom guy and you can get your near arm over the top guys head, and roll to the side, you might get the pin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:18 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 573,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Anyone here wrestle in high school or college? I have some questions.

I am watching the NCAA, and I noticed, when they are in referee's position, a lot of times the defensive guy does not try to peel away the offensive guys hands before he stands. Is there some rule against that?

Like normally the offensive guy has one arm wrapped behind back and over the tummy right. I have yet to see the defensive guy try to peel that hand away. Shouldn't that be the first thing they do?
When on the bottom in the referee's position, I was always taught to focus on standing up first. Once you are standing in a squat position it is much easier to "peel away" or break the grip of the top wrestler's hands by thrusting your center of gravity down towards the mat and away from the other wrestler. When you are on the bottom the first thing you should do is try to get to your feet. You want to minimize your time on the mat when you are on the bottom, trying to peel away the hands while you are still on the mat is just wasting time. In college, there is a thing called "riding time" which is used as a tie breaker. The more time the top wrestler is able to stay on top, the more riding time he gets. The bottom wrestler staying on the mat and trying to peel away at the other wrestler's hands is actually a bad tactic.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
Quote:

As for the other arm that is usually in the half nelson (for the offensive guy or guy on top), would it not make sense to pull that arm down, and just roll over to that side? You are almost have scarf hold right there. If you are the bottom guy and you can get your near arm over the top guys head, and roll to the side, you might get the pin.
You're not going to see that happen in college wrestling, especially Division 1 college wrestling. The wrestlers are just too physically strong and experienced for that to happen. You might see that in Jr. High or High School wrestling when you have a much stronger opponent going against a physically weak and/or inexperienced opponent. Reverals (when the bottom wrestler is able to successfully switch positions and gain control as the top wrestler) are rare in college wrestling. That is why most wrestlers in college try for the one point escape (and therefore try to stand up) instead of the two point reversal when they are on the bottom in the referee's position.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:17 PM

But a lot of times, I dont even see the bottom wrestler trying to stand or work at it. They seem to stay on their hands. If you dont peel away the hands before you attempt to stand, wont the top wrestler just put you back down as you try?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
But a lot of times, I dont even see the bottom wrestler trying to stand or work at it. They seem to stay on their hands. If you dont peel away the hands before you attempt to stand, wont the top wrestler just put you back down as you try?
not if I hit him with my Atomic Elbow

Old 04-14-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Trying to stand up when a full grown man is on your back trying to keep you down is tougher than it looks. Also, the downward pressure comes from the top wrestler's hips and mid-section area, not his hands. You can peel away his hands all day long, but the top wrestler will just put his hands back as soon as you peel them away. Again the downward pressure comes from the hips, not the hands of the top wrestler. When you are watching a wrestling match look at the wrestlers' hips and mid-sections (center of gravity) not all the hand fighting. Wrestling is about leverage and pressure.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Trying to stand up when a full grown man is on your back trying to keep you down is tougher than it looks. Also, the downward pressure comes from the top wrestler's hips and mid-section area, not his hands. You can peel away his hands all day long, but the top wrestler will just put his hands back as soon as you peel them away. Again the downward pressure comes from the hips, not the hands of the top wrestler. When you are watching a wrestling match look at the wrestlers' hips and mid-sections (center of gravity) not all the hand fighting. Wrestling is about leverage and pressure.
Both wrestler will be of similar size and weight though. And not just peeling it, but holding it away as you attempt an escape. I dont see anyone doing this. If you dont use your hands, how those the top wrestler keep the bottom wrestler from shucking your weight off?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Both wrestler will be of similar size and weight though. And not just peeling it, but holding it away as you attempt an escape. I dont see anyone doing this. If you dont use your hands, how those the top wrestler keep the bottom wrestler from shucking your weight off?
superior intelligence and using science to my advantage

Old 05-01-2015, 12:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 2,799,972 times
Former D1 wrestler here...always taught to control top guys hands and try to create space by getting your hips (center of gravity) away from opponent. Easier said than done. Especially with riding time and top position guy just hanging on and refs allowing it.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Former D1 wrestler here...always taught to control top guys hands and try to create space by getting your hips (center of gravity) away from opponent. Easier said than done. Especially with riding time and top position guy just hanging on and refs allowing it.
That is the thing though. I did not see many of them trying to control top guys hands. In fact, I have seen, from referee's position, the bottom guy splay out and lie on his chest with arms spread out sometimes. Or they try to crawl to the outside. I did not see a single granby roll, or sit out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports