U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:15 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,165,473 times

Advertisements

Where do they find these people? Do we love sensationalism combined with train wrecks? Does anyone respect Skip OR Stephen A. Whole's opinion on ANYTHING?

These guys are puppets, so their "side" of the debate is that they just happen, by coincidence, to disagree with each other a LOT, they're told to disagree, so really, not only are their opinions junkmail and spamlike, you don't even know if they are their opinions in the first place since they are told to "pick a side".

Is that how you get famous in today's society, be incredibly unlikeable as well as having no opinion or talent and the desire to make a fool of yourself? What are we doing. Why would we rather watch a train wreck as opposed to someone who is dispensing quality information in a likeable manner?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,147,755 times
I can't watch First Take anymore, Stephen A Smith is a blatant racist. He pretty much called Lionel Hollins and Mark Jackson being fired racist and cried about it because they were winning and got their teams into the playoffs. Yet he praises the Clippers firing Vinny Del Negro and hiring Doc Rivers, why? Del Negro led the Clippers to a 40-26 and then a 56-26 record and the 2nd round last year, just like Doc did this year. Why didn't he have a problem with the Clippers firing a white coach who was winning and getting his team to the 2nd round of the playoffs? He's a racist piece of garbage. And Skip Bayless....he was giving Chris Paul crap on Twitter for playing 10 seasons and never making the conference finals. This coming from a Tony Romo lover? Remind me how many NFC championship games Tony Romo has played in in his 10 years. LMAO!!!!!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:01 PM

3,061 posts, read 6,474,090 times
As soon as I see one of those guys I know I'm on the wrong channel.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:33 PM

933 posts, read 1,359,644 times
I've long been a Skip detractor, I am 100% sure I know more about sports than he does. I'm also 100% sure I can ARTICULATE WHAT I SAY better than Stephen A, whose arguments never really seem to be coherent...

Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 AM

465 posts, read 367,370 times
If a black person is fired/ticketed/arrested its racism. If the aforementioned occurs to a white person nothing is reported. For years I agreed racism perminuated the public, but now I see classism. Treat all people with respect.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 PM

3,520 posts, read 8,696,904 times
I never liked either Stephen A. Smith (emphasis on the A - for a 7 letter word ending with "hole") or Skip Brainless pretty much from the first time I heard either one of them, so I've never listened to either one of them. The only question in my mind is which one is a bigger blowhard and jack's behind.

Those guys are such jack's behinds that they make Howard Eskin (who in some ways is the Philadelphia sports media's version of Skip Bayless but not quite as bad) look respectable. That's very hard to do with the Burger King. (If you aren't familiar with Eskin, look up his picture on the internet and you'll know why I call him Burger King.)

Old 05-22-2015, 05:14 PM

131 posts, read 122,870 times
Remember when Skip Bayless said Tim Tebow > Aaron Rodgers?

His Andrew Luck hate because they cut Manning?

His bragging about his Cowboys?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Status: "Help support 'Guide Dogs for the Blind'" (set 16 days ago)

2,441 posts, read 1,577,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
train wrecks.. Do you respect Skip OR Stephen A.Whole's opinion on ANYTHING?
These guys are puppets
No.. I don't respect the opinions of Smith or Bayless. But I do like Cari Champion (show hostess).

As far as being puppets, that's part of their job; covering/furthering the self-interests of ESPN, like their network's NBA relationship. But that's one of my biggest complaints about First Take. The show's disproportionate fixation on, and peddling of pro hoops, & a complete absence of NHL commentary. And like ESPN @ large, their continuous diagnosis and obsession with (now virtually) irrelevant Tiger Woods. Also dumb when they have unintelligible rappers 'at the table' to talk sports.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:41 PM

933 posts, read 1,359,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
No.. I don't respect the opinions of Smith or Bayless. But I do like Cari Champion (show hostess).

As far as being puppets, that's part of their job; covering/furthering the self-interests of ESPN, like their network's NBA relationship. But that's one of my biggest complaints about First Take. The show's disproportionate fixation on, and peddling of pro hoops, & a complete absence of NHL commentary. And like ESPN @ large, their continuous diagnosis and obsession with (now virtually) irrelevant Tiger Woods. Also dumb when they have unintelligible rappers 'at the table' to talk sports.
It's not just hockey. A tennis major, the French Open, had their draw yesterday and Djokovic and Nadal were drawn in the same quarter (HUGE news in the tennis world), but do you think that was on the show? Of course not. You'd think there were only two sports if you only watched First Take...

Old 05-24-2015, 08:26 AM

5,229 posts, read 3,967,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Where do they find these people? Do we love sensationalism combined with train wrecks? Does anyone respect Skip OR Stephen A. Whole's opinion on ANYTHING?

These guys are puppets, so their "side" of the debate is that they just happen, by coincidence, to disagree with each other a LOT, they're told to disagree, so really, not only are their opinions junkmail and spamlike, you don't even know if they are their opinions in the first place since they are told to "pick a side".

Is that how you get famous in today's society, be incredibly unlikeable as well as having no opinion or talent and the desire to make a fool of yourself? What are we doing. Why would we rather watch a train wreck as opposed to someone who is dispensing quality information in a likeable manner?
Unfortunately, EGO can present itself in an ugly way.

It's extremely difficult getting past both of these guys' egos and facial expressions, and that's before I can even begin listening to what they're commenting on. I believe I'd rather listen to sports people on the radio so I don't have to watch their expressions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports