Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
They have Super League teams in New York, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Super League being the highest level of rugby in the US below National level.
I think St. Louis was in Super League at one point, may not be anymore. There are some efforts underway to establish a professional league here in the states in the near future. Once the American football fans get a chance to watch it and understand it, I think many will convert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 03:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I think St. Louis was in Super League at one point, may not be anymore. There are some efforts underway to establish a professional league here in the states in the near future. Once the American football fans get a chance to watch it and understand it, I think many will convert.

Yup St Louis are still in it now, yeah I think that more college players who don't get into football teams will turn to rugby, give it perhaps 10-15 years maybe eariler and the USA will be a big force in world rugby if more players convert

Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times
Wow, I had no idea it was that wide spread. I lived most of my life in the Chicago area and never heard about it. They really get no coverage at all up there. Does anyone know if any of these get televised on ESPN or anything? I wouldn't mind catching a game, seeing what it is like.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,244 times
There various site around what show it on a pay per view basis

Rugby Channel - Internet TV - MediaZone 3
Setanta Sports North America - Setanta Sports

As far as free to air stuff I'm not aware that ESPN covers it, someone with more knowledge of the USA TV listing may be able to help out.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Wow, I had no idea it was that wide spread. I lived most of my life in the Chicago area and never heard about it. They really get no coverage at all up there. Does anyone know if any of these get televised on ESPN or anything? I wouldn't mind catching a game, seeing what it is like.
Every once in a while there will be some coverage on one of the ESPN's. The college championships about 2 years ago were aired but they weren't live and some of the games were hacked up a bit. Also the test match between the USA Eagles and Munster which was played in Gaelic Park there in Chicago was aired as well and that WAS live! If you really want to see rugby, do as matty suggests and get a subscription to Setanta. I have it and rugby is the second most covered sport on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports