Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 AM

462 posts, read 720,869 times

Advertisements

Overall, I think cities are generally well represented in major sports, but every sport has a glaring omission...or two...or three....

• LA has no NFL team. They had TWO in the 80s...
  • Where is the Major League Baseball representation in the south? Are the cities too hot in the summer? Funny, it doesn't seem to bother SEC and ACC collegiate baseball teams. Atlanta has a huge cushion around it in the Southeast as far as professional baseball is concerned. Even the minor league teams are strange. Southern cities had AA teams in AAA sized cities for the longest time. Birmingham is still AA.
  • Why does Green Bay have Wisconsin's football team? It's not exactly neighboring Milwaukee.
  • San Francisco has a basketball team, but they have to share it with Oakland and it's called the "Golden State Warriors"?
  • Where is Cincinnati's NBA team?
  • Where is Kansas City's NBA team, St. Louis?
  • ^ Same for San Diego.
  • You would think Portland would have more major league teams than the Trailblazers.
  • Tampa-St. Pete and Orlando seem to have an agreement: "You take this sport and I'll take that one."
  • More of a name issue, but why are the NFL Patriots the only team to use the "New England" location designation? It's just another Boston team to most people. I guess it went better with the mascot.
  • Chicago should have two NBA teams. Two NFL teams too.
  • New York has three hockey teams and two basketball teams, if you count New Jersey - which you should should since the "New York" Jets and Giants play there as well.
  • Charlotte and Jax get NFL teams before Birmingham and Memphis? I guess Alabama has shown it doesn't have any football fans. Guess where two of the most successful USFL, XFL, and CFL-America teams were.
  • I guess major leagues shy away from Vegas due to the gambling element. You'd think they'd at least have an NBA team by now (not counting Tark's well-compensated UNLV teams of the 90s)
  • San Antonio has a huge NFL-sized dome stadium with no occupant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Fort Worth doesn't. I mean, the Rangers AND Cowboys are in our county, technically meaning that we do, but really we don't.

(cue the "but Fort Worth is appart of Dallas" crap....)

Old 07-04-2011, 01:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Buffalo no baseball (or football considering the bills)
Buffalo no basketball
San Diego no basketball no hockey
Seattle no basketball no hockey

Conversely, I think Denver is the smallest city that has all four major sports teams.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,938,167 times
San Antonio still has a Double-A baseball team...

Old 07-05-2011, 01:20 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,266,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Buffalo no baseball (or football considering the bills)
Buffalo no basketball
San Diego no basketball no hockey
Seattle no basketball no hockey

Conversely, I think Denver is the smallest city that has all four major sports teams.
Pittsburgh no hoops
Cleveland no hockey

Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Overall, I think cities are generally well represented in major sports, but every sport has a glaring omission...or two...or three....

• LA has no NFL team. They had TWO in the 80s...
  • Where is the Major League Baseball representation in the south? Are the cities too hot in the summer? Funny, it doesn't seem to bother SEC and ACC collegiate baseball teams. Atlanta has a huge cushion around it in the Southeast as far as professional baseball is concerned. Even the minor league teams are strange. Southern cities had AA teams in AAA sized cities for the longest time. Birmingham is still AA.
  • Why does Green Bay have Wisconsin's football team? It's not exactly neighboring Milwaukee.
  • San Francisco has a basketball team, but they have to share it with Oakland and it's called the "Golden State Warriors"?
  • Where is Cincinnati's NBA team?
  • Where is Kansas City's NBA team, St. Louis?
  • ^ Same for San Diego.
  • You would think Portland would have more major league teams than the Trailblazers.
  • Tampa-St. Pete and Orlando seem to have an agreement: "You take this sport and I'll take that one."
  • More of a name issue, but why are the NFL Patriots the only team to use the "New England" location designation? It's just another Boston team to most people. I guess it went better with the mascot.
  • Chicago should have two NBA teams. Two NFL teams too.
  • New York has three hockey teams and two basketball teams, if you count New Jersey - which you should should since the "New York" Jets and Giants play there as well.
  • Charlotte and Jax get NFL teams before Birmingham and Memphis? I guess Alabama has shown it doesn't have any football fans. Guess where two of the most successful USFL, XFL, and CFL-America teams were.
  • I guess major leagues shy away from Vegas due to the gambling element. You'd think they'd at least have an NBA team by now (not counting Tark's well-compensated UNLV teams of the 90s)
  • San Antonio has a huge NFL-sized dome stadium with no occupant...
  • LA has no stadium - as soon as one is built they will have a team or two again - it's only a matter of time - stadiums rule location in the NFL
  • MLB is represented just fine in the south - which southern cities should have an MLB team that currently don't? I could see maybe a team in TN or a team in NC .... but I think they would struggle filling an 81 game home schedule
  • GB has been around forever and are by and far the states team. Milwaukee is also fairly close to Chicago so it's not like fans there don't have options. Not to mention for a long time the Packers would split games between GB & Milwaukee
  • The Warriors are located in Oakland and are shared with SF and have a fanstastic fanbase (although really bad leadership)
  • Cincys NBA team went to KC.
  • KCs NBA team went to Sacramento
  • SDs NBA team went to LA
  • Why? I could maybe see baseball - but again probably too small to fill an 81 game home schedule
  • Figuring that they are a couple hours apart population dynamics come into play - you couldn't support dueling teams in Tampa/St. Pete & Orlando
  • Boston Patriots is the original franchise name - when they merged into the NFL they also changed location - moving from a variety of Boston homes to a new stadium in Foxboro - the claim is they wanted to better position themselves as the regional NFL team and draw fans from places like Providence - however, I think it was also a bit of a slap at boston who didn't provide a home for them and Foxboro didn't want a team they were providing for to be called Boston, in fact they were going to be the Bay State Patriots but the NFL shot it down (the land from their stadium was donated by bay state raceway)
  • No they shouldn't
  • NY has 4 hockey teams if you include Buffalo - the NY Metro Area has 3, although the devils and islanders aren't that strong of a draw at the gate ..... the NJ Nets are actually going to be moving into Brooklyn
  • They had better stadiums - no way is birmingham a major league city, memphis hosted the oilers/titans before they were able to move fully into nashville
  • I could see an NBA team maybe working there, but it wouldn't be a slam dunk by any stretch .... they do have their summer league there and keep some ties to the city
  • The alamodome isn't a quality NFL venue - it would need a lot of work - there are also much larger/more lucrative markets that don't have teams ... such as LA

Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,142 times
and seatlle has the Vancouver Canucks

Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM

1,632 posts, read 483,781 times
San Antonio, having over 1.2-3 million needs an MLB and NFL franchise. (or at least a league in the United Football League, something else I also watch) The baseball team could also play at the Alamodome until an MLB-capacity baseball-specific stadium was built.

I also agree that the MLB needs more southern franchises. Instead of realignment, I'd go two more expansion teams in the AL and put them in places like San Antonio, Oklahoma City or New Orleans.

Louisville needs some sort of professional league team, too.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cash Register View Post
San Antonio, having over 1.2-3 million needs an MLB and NFL franchise. (or at least a league in the United Football League, something else I also watch) The baseball team could also play at the Alamodome until an MLB-capacity baseball-specific stadium was built.

I also agree that the MLB needs more southern franchises. Instead of realignment, I'd go two more expansion teams in the AL and put them in places like San Antonio, Oklahoma City or New Orleans.

Louisville needs some sort of professional league team, too.
A Dodgers move to San Antonio?
Although Austin and Portland would be more appropriate destinations for the Dodgers given how both have more Angelenos than L.A. does nowadays, San Antonio's a bigger market than Austin or Portland and will assuredly get a MLB team before Austin.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Pittsburgh no hoops
Cleveland no hockey
Cleveland has no hockey while Southern cities without any hockey heritage have NHL teams? The Great Lakes region is the traditional hockey belt of the US, Cleveland needs an NHL team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports