Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:46 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

The Tiger Woods story to date is one of complete greatness to a fall from grace.

Once past his ugly relationship period, it's been nothing but his health that has failed. SInce the two back surgeries have sidelined him for the rest of this season, one can only assume with rehab that he will be ready to give it a go next season. But in recent years, he has gone through many swing changes and game adjustments, that I wonder what he really is as a golfer now.

When he comes back, he will take away the spotlight from the current batch of excellent players due to his past. Does Tiger have any hope at all to get back towards the top of the world rankings, or if he does return will he just be lumped in with the second tier of golfers?

I think it will be the latter, as we have seen the last of the great player that was the younger Tiger Woods. And it's a shame, because if he didn't have health issues or bulletin board material, he would have easily been deemed the greatest golfer of all-time. When he was at the top of the game, he was truly that special of a player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 08:02 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
Well that's ashamed for me to hear. This is shocking news. He's one of the greatest golfers of all time.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The Tiger Woods story to date is one of complete greatness to a fall from grace.

Once past his ugly relationship period, it's been nothing but his health that has failed. Since the two back surgeries have sidelined him for the rest of this season, one can only assume with rehab that he will be ready to give it a go next season. But in recent years, he has gone through many swing changes and game adjustments, that I wonder what he really is as a golfer now.

When he comes back, he will take away the spotlight from the current batch of excellent players due to his past. Does Tiger have any hope at all to get back towards the top of the world rankings, or if he does return will he just be lumped in with the second tier of golfers?

I think it will be the latter, as we have seen the last of the great player that was the younger Tiger Woods. And it's a shame, because if he didn't have health issues or bulletin board material, he would have easily been deemed the greatest golfer of all-time. When he was at the top of the game, he was truly that special of a player.
If I were a betting man, and I am, I would not only bet that Tiger Woods will never win another golf tournament, I would give odds. When he has been relatively healthy the past few years, he has supposedly looked terrible. He has not only rarely been healthy, but the injuries have required surgery rather than some relatively non-threatening exercise rehab program. Golf is a game that requires precision and injuries tend to hurt precision. Furthermore, the competition now is much tougher than just five years ago. There is now Rory McIlroy, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson to contend with, golfers who were not really in the mix just a few years ago. Then there is the fact that Tiger is now over 40. I would take back off of my predictions if Tiger were 26, but he's not. I would say that the odds of Tiger ever again making the cut in any PGA tournament are about equal to his chances of ever winning another major.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:43 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
After his slide into obscurity, I haven't been able to receive any news about Tiger Woods seriously. Unfortunately for him -- and for his fans -- he's been an afterthought. I continue to believe that he's done with golf. Very sad.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:47 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
It's what happens when you don't cycle roids right. A man CANNOT PUT ON 30 POUNDS OF LEAN MUSCLE, as he did from 02-05, without PED's. Yet we all got sucked in.

I personally don't care... I want all athletes to use PED's. Just learn how to cycle correctly!

Made a prediction in 08 when he won on the broken leg... and I'm starting to collect. Made another after his impressive 6 wins in 2012: never win again. Starting to collect, again....

I still thank Tiger for reviving golf and bringing it to where it is today; especially with the this current crop of 20 somethings. All golf fans are in for a treat for the next 20 years.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 PM

14,475 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
If I were a betting man, and I am, I would not only bet that Tiger Woods will never win another golf tournament, I would give odds. I would say that the odds of Tiger ever again making the cut in any PGA tournament are about equal to his chances of ever winning another major.
I'm not convinced about all of the injuries and health issues. Numerous times he walked off the course when he was playing poorly.
In 2015 he tried to play in The Greenbrier where the biggest name there was B. Watson. He shot 7 under but was not really competitive.

2015 Greenbrier Classic results: Tiger Woods finds some game in West Virginia - SBNation.com

Tiger and his doctor are the only ones that know the truth.
He will retire and say it is due to health issues, need to devote more time to family and business efforts and does not have the time it takes to get back to winning. All false as to the real reason.

Anyone who is destined to win 18 majors can not go 0 for 32 (2009 thru 2016) and 0 for 32 during the ages of 32-39.

He wanted Jack's record and he also wanted to beat Sam Snead's record.

No matter how good he was or he is (and the same for Spieth) you can not go winless for the middle 8 years of your before age 50 career.

Many golfers have had back trouble, etc. Tiger will use that to lie to the world and retire. He does not need the money and he will quit when he can not win again which is now. If he does not tee it up next Masters, watch for the retirement announcement.

2013 - 7 events played, missed the cut 2 and WD 2.
2014 - 11 events played, missed the cut 4 and WD 1.
Some of the cuts were intentional to avoid WD.

Mickelson has better things to do on the weekend than to play when he can not win. Phil has conveniently missed a few cuts when he was out of it. He does not need the money he wants W's.

I shed tears for Bob May and Rocco Mediate.
They deserved those majors. Tiger should have 12 not 14.

Last edited by howard555; 07-27-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
I used to love watching him play and his unbelievable dominance. A classic example was the 2000 U.S. Open. Woods shot 12-under, thereby becoming the first golfer to shoot in the double-digits under par. But it wasn't just that the course was playing easy, because second place was at +3. That's right - no one else could even shoot par, while Woods was setting the record for the best score ever. At one point, he owned or shared the record for the lowest score in relation to par in each of the four majors.

And what's more fantastic about his dominance is that as of the 1990s, golf should have been at maximum parity due to the money at stake. It is common in sports that the most dominant performances occur before the sport reaches its height. But not in the case of Woods.

Then? It just fell completely apart.

He ruined his body, pushing it so hard with that punishing, torquing swing of his.

Now he's done.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd be amazed if Tiger returned to his former glory, he's done but it was a privilege watching one of the greatest players in the game.Maybe he will shake up the seniors tour, i could see him fitting in well with this group=2016 Senior PGA Championship Leaderboard and Scoring - Harbor Shores, Benton Harbor, Michigan - PGA.com

Old 07-28-2016, 02:37 PM

14,475 posts, read 20,652,743 times
I do not think Tiger is the type to want to play on the senior tour.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
With players with arguably as much talent as Tiger currently playing (Spieth has already become the youngest to win two majors - Day, McIlroy, DJ, etc..) Tiger is all but finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports