Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 01:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,215,927 times

Advertisements

If the olympics were more about the sports then politics then it would be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 03:24 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,898,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
A lot of money could be saved if a permanent sight was picked.
This is what I'm thinking. I feel that the Olympics have a lot of value, even though I don't watch or follow them. But I think the Olympic Committee should seriously start thinking about creating a permanent location. I know there would be issues with that, but it has to be better than the current mode. I suggest Greece for the summer Olympics, and Canada for the winter Olympics. Greece because there are so many locations that could be chosen, that it would be extremely difficult to settle the debate, so why not just play the historic card immediately. Canada for winter because you would want to choose a place that you can guarantee snow, and Canada has a good history of stability and infrastructure for the most part.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 828,147 times
Endorsements!

Old 08-06-2016, 03:39 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,835,433 times
Anyone who lives in or near Chicago must be thankful not to be selected. Sure, millions were spent on the bid, but that's a small fraction of what it would have cost, not to mention the disruption of daily life for two weeks, not being able to get a decent flight for the year before, and so forth.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:51 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,893,754 times
"Does anyone else think the Olympics are a waste?"

Unlikely. I don't, at least. I look forward to them every time they come on.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:02 PM

14,872 posts, read 12,019,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I do. It seems like every Olympics it is a financial catastrophe, terribly planned, and filled with controversy. And for what? For a bunch of athletes to compete in sports that the overall majority of people could care less about? Just seems pointless to me. Don't get me wrong, I respect the insane amount of work these athletes put into their sport but that's about it. I enjoy the World Cup/Euro Cup and pretty much all 5 major pro sports in America as well as college sports. But for whatever reason I just can't get into the Olympics. What do you all think?
What Olympics? I'm kidding, I'm aware of them, just haven't paid any attention to them because I could care less.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:07 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,194,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's the one time all nations can (and should) leave politics behind for goodwill and friendly competition. It's also a place where a qualifying athlete, no matter how small their country, can take home gold and be best in the world at their skill. As an American, I find that refreshing when our sports are dominated by big markets and big money.
This.

The Olympics have been around for thousands of years. Our modern nation states didn't even exist when the ancient Olympics were held, so it's an opportunity for countries to take part in something that has more history than any one nation can claim.

Watching the Olympics on tv... isn't really a big deal. It just seems like any other sporting competition. But if you actually go to the Games, it's hard to not get caught up in the spirit of global competition. People from all over the world coming together to cheer on their country. An amazing mix of cultures, languages, foods, and dialects all coming together for a short, crazy time.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:09 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,371,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
"Does anyone else think the Olympics are a waste?"

Unlikely. I don't, at least. I look forward to them every time they come on.
That's how I feel, I don't care if it's Winter or Summer. If it comes near I am looking forward to it.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:55 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,944,632 times
I had a lot more enthusiasm until we exercised our "dominance" and got Russian athletes banned. The exact opposite of what the Olympics are all about. Plus all the bull**** propaganda about deadly health threats from visiting Brazil. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Some Russian athletes were taking performance enhancers? Yea.....no other athletes would ever do that. Never.

Something is at war with everything but men in the ladies room and billionaires.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 08-06-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-06-2016, 06:54 PM

17,378 posts, read 13,158,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I do. It seems like every Olympics it is a financial catastrophe, terribly planned, and filled with controversy. And for what? For a bunch of athletes to compete in sports that the overall majority of people could care less about? Just seems pointless to me. Don't get me wrong, I respect the insane amount of work these athletes put into their sport but that's about it. I enjoy the World Cup/Euro Cup and pretty much all 5 major pro sports in America as well as college sports. But for whatever reason I just can't get into the Olympics. What do you all think?

If you don't like it, dont watch! That's your right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports