Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:27 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I enjoy watching sports but I tend to see the problems or shortcomings in the various sports. For example; a very good athlete who shoots a basketball well, hustles, does everything right, may not ever see the highest level basketball competition simply because he is too short. Meanwhile, a 7 foot guy with a fraction of the pure athletic talent might become an All-American.

The reason Michael Phelps has won a lot of medals is because swimming has various strokes, various distances and various relay races. Aside from perhaps a walking race, is there a track competition where an athlete has a different stride that is slower than he can possible go? Is there a 100 meter competition where an athlete is running backwards run down the track? How about relay races of various distances featuring backwards running down the track? Then, hypothetically, the athlete goes to a race where the competitors are not allowed to have a stride of over a meter in length. Point is; all swimming races should be the fastest from point A to Point B. No various strokes, just who is the fastest in the water. Michael Phelps would have about 10 Gold Medals. That's a lot, but it isn't 20.
Are you trying to say there should NOT be the butterfly, the backstroke, etc.?

All of these are PART of swimming.

Other then that I do NOT understand your position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 10:59 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
As an added thought, maybe there are bajillions of events because both viewers and Athletic committees like it. At the 2008 games, 14 countries brought home Gold Medals in swimming events, 19 countries total brought home medals.

We might not think of that, but it could be a big deal to Tunisia.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
As an added thought, maybe there are bajillions of events because both viewers and Athletic committees like it. At the 2008 games, 14 countries brought home Gold Medals in swimming events, 19 countries total brought home medals.

We might not think of that, but it could be a big deal to Tunisia.
nobody is suggesting removing 1500m freestyle, which doesn't come in other three styles and relays and is vastly different from the highly congested short-distance games. I am sure Tunisia is fine, but nice try.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
I enjoy watching sports but I tend to see the problems or shortcomings in the various sports. For example; a very good athlete who shoots a basketball well, hustles, does everything right, may not ever see the highest level basketball competition simply because he is too short. Meanwhile, a 7 foot guy with a fraction of the pure athletic talent might become an All-American.

The reason Michael Phelps has won a lot of medals is because swimming has various strokes, various distances and various relay races. Aside from perhaps a walking race, is there a track competition where an athlete has a different stride that is slower than he can possible go? Is there a 100 meter competition where an athlete is running backwards run down the track? How about relay races of various distances featuring backwards running down the track? Then, hypothetically, the athlete goes to a race where the competitors are not allowed to have a stride of over a meter in length. Point is; all swimming races should be the fastest from point A to Point B. No various strokes, just who is the fastest in the water. Michael Phelps would have about 10 Gold Medals. That's a lot, but it isn't 20.

What sour grapes. Woulda shoulda coulda...

Michael Phelps "got a lot of medals" because he's competed in a lot of events in multiple Olympics.

He's a great swimmer. So was Mark Spitz, which is why it took 36 years to break his record.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:19 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What sour grapes. Woulda shoulda coulda...

Michael Phelps "got a lot of medals" because he's competed in a lot of events in multiple Olympics.

He's a great swimmer. So was Mark Spitz, which is why it took 36 years to break his record.
But only in swimming is that possible.

Show me another sport where winning 8 medals in one single Olympic game is possible? For a table tennis player to win 22 Olympic golds, it will take him/her minimum 11 Olympic games spanning 40 years. is that possible?

Swimming relay is not like sprint relay. It doesn't involve additional skills such as passing the baton. So essentially one simply swims exactly like he does in an individual game. A relay gold is for the team/country, but hardly shows additional talent for the athlete. If Phelps already has a 100m butterfly gold, he should not get the extra credible for swimming the butterfly leg in the 4 X 100 medley.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,222,654 times
id like to see a lazy olympic games start up personally. who can chug the most beer cans in 30 seconds! burping contest,farting contest.haha

Old 08-12-2016, 03:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
id like to see a lazy olympic games start up personally. who can chug the most beer cans in 30 seconds! burping contest,farting contest.haha

Old 08-12-2016, 04:21 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Are you trying to say there should NOT be the butterfly, the backstroke, etc.?

All of these are PART of swimming.

Other then that I do NOT understand your position.
I have been making two similar points since the OP. One point is that there are a number of swimming strokes that require much the same physical talent, which is how Phelps has won so many medals. My second point is that in swimming there are a number of strokes that are less than wholly efficient, which to me, is kind of a violation of racing logic and in a sense, a waste of time. Have every race, whether it is swimming, bicycling, rowing, whatever, use the fastest method. No one-armed rowing category, no walking race, and no breast stroke or backstroke in swimming. Full speed ahead only.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:59 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No matter how hard Japan or China try, they won't have great performance on track and field.
Who cares?

I'd like to see a track and field star of similar size and/or weight class try to take on a Japanese at judo or a Chinese at table tennis.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
I have been making two similar points since the OP. One point is that there are a number of swimming strokes that require much the same physical talent, which is how Phelps has won so many medals. My second point is that in swimming there are a number of strokes that are less than wholly efficient, which to me, is kind of a violation of racing logic and in a sense, a waste of time. Have every race, whether it is swimming, bicycling, rowing, whatever, use the fastest method. No one-armed rowing category, no walking race, and no breast stroke or backstroke in swimming. Full speed ahead only.
Then it would follow to eliminate soccer. No hands, no sport. A violation of human anatomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports