Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 12:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,753,885 times

Advertisements

Serbia just ousted the USA in women's volleyball. I actually cheered for Serbia. Who knew that the USA would not make it to the final?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 01:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
I know it's not the young peoples' fault, but it's hard to cheer for Serbia. Gavrilo Prinzip, Bosnian genocide, ethnic cleansing, Karadzic, etc...

Old 08-19-2016, 07:04 AM

50,695 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I know it's not the young peoples' fault, but it's hard to cheer for Serbia. Gavrilo Prinzip, Bosnian genocide, ethnic cleansing, Karadzic, etc...
I rooted for the girl diver from North Korea when she was doing horribly because I worry about athletes from awful countries and wonder if they get punished somehow when they get home. That girl was the Gold medalist 4 years ago and this year didn't even make the finals..are they going to move her family to a ghetto or something for "dishonoring" the country? Maybe not, but part of me worries about it, so I did root her last few dives to be good.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 PM

308 posts, read 237,309 times
Quote:

Even harder to root for Croatia if thats the case and without going into politics on this thread the Bosnians were far from 100% innocent.

It certainly wants Princips fault that we had WW!,it was just members of the same royal families falling out really.You could argue what Princip did was free the small nations of Europe from Austro/Hungary etc.Its a pity that millions had to die for it though.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
You mean Vancouver 2010. The 94 games were in Norway.

Yeah i got confused with e Commonwealth Games at Victoria in 1994.Suprised i got Lillehammer wrong that was the best Winter Olympics ever.Or missed out Vancouver.Losing the plot here

Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I rooted for the girl diver from North Korea when she was doing horribly because I worry about athletes from awful countries and wonder if they get punished somehow when they get home. That girl was the Gold medalist 4 years ago and this year didn't even make the finals..are they going to move her family to a ghetto or something for "dishonoring" the country? Maybe not, but part of me worries about it, so I did root her last few dives to be good.
If she has a previous gold medal i would think she was fine.Apparently they get extra rations,so these may have been withdrawn.In general as long as you praise the country and all their leaders you dont come to any harm.You just have to hope your family do the same,as they go back/forward 3 generations and lock everyone up.

Apart from the fact theyre accompanied 24/7 at the Olympics or anything else they attend outside North Korea.the threat is if you defect we kill all your family.

Though people are released eventually for ordinary crimes,political crimes mean life for 3 generations with no hope of release.

Considering North Koreans rarely participate outside major championships abroad,they are pretty good in a lot of things.So somewhere there has to be some decent training facilities.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I noticed she never surfaced again after her last dive and may have made good on her escape plan that included pouring green food coloring into the pool to conceal the hidden escape tunnel just below the skimmer

Old 08-20-2016, 06:06 AM

50,695 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
If she has a previous gold medal i would think she was fine.Apparently they get extra rations,so these may have been withdrawn.In general as long as you praise the country and all their leaders you dont come to any harm.You just have to hope your family do the same,as they go back/forward 3 generations and lock everyone up.

Apart from the fact theyre accompanied 24/7 at the Olympics or anything else they attend outside North Korea.the threat is if you defect we kill all your family.

Though people are released eventually for ordinary crimes,political crimes mean life for 3 generations with no hope of release.

Considering North Koreans rarely participate outside major championships abroad,they are pretty good in a lot of things.So somewhere there has to be some decent training facilities.
Wow, 3 generations!
I hope you're right that the previous gold will be enough It just seems so much more serious for them, because their performance affects their families in a way that other athletes don't have to worry about, and it must put even more pressure on them.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 08-20-2016, 06:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
How does that have anything to do with the athletes? Did they personally do those? It is like not supporting the US athletes because they invaded Nicaragua and Iraq.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,137,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
In regards to the Olympics most people don't know too much about the athletes from other countries. At least in the sporting events that aren't super popular...

Does one need to know anything? If an athlete seems to be the best, or possibly has a great personality - or maybe you just root because it's a lone person from a tiny country ... isn't that enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports