Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:02 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,024,371 times

Advertisements

I do not know the subtleties of a lot of sports, so when I watch a sport that I have never competed, I'm going on just what my eyes see and nothing more. Given that criteria, there are a lot of sports that do not make for good spectator sports. Good sports to watch have a number of similar characteristics. I'll name off a few of them; the competitors have to be clearly visible head to toe, the action has to be fast, furious and preferably continuous, the play cannot become monotonous. Here are the sports that are most popular which, in reality, are not really exciting to watch, in my opinion.

#1. Beach Volleyball (serve, hit, spike. Repeat until end of set)
#2. Soccer (too little scoring)
#3. Field Hockey (too little scoring)
#4. Golf (I play golf and I can watch it, but I know it is actually boring for the non-golfer)
#5. Water polo (90% of the competitors' bodies are under water)

The very worst spectator sports.

#1. Archery
#2. 10K [sewage] swim
#3. pistol shooting
#4. Sailing; Women's 470 (dinghy)
#5. Fencing

Smith's Top-rated spectator sports.

#1. Basketball (big players who are easy to see, an easy-to-see big ball, continuous action)
#2. 100 Meter sprint (the races don't last long, but for 10 or 11 seconds they are exciting)
#3. boxing (everyone likes to see guys trying to beat the crap out of each other, right?)
#4. Rugby (American football... sort of)
#5. Tennis (really spectacular efforts sandwiched between a little too much time wasted toweling off)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,249,822 times
Any track event, because most of us have competed in running races, and we know how hard it is to be a winner.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:25 PM

308 posts, read 235,499 times
I actually like watching the Handball,theres not too many rules to learn and its fast and exciting.I love the Track & field events though long/triple jump bore me a bit.

As for golf id sooner watch grass grow.I know its not an olympic sport but i feel the same way about Formula ! racing

Old 08-15-2016, 04:54 PM

17,011 posts, read 21,695,741 times
I like swimming for 2 reasons:

1. It is over quick
2. Phelps puts on a show!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,887,797 times
I like the running events but think I would like them more if the competitors had to keep their arms at their sides the whole time

Old 08-15-2016, 07:34 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,249,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I like the running events but think I would like them more if the competitors had to keep their arms at their sides the whole time

We're working on it...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8CWptOEm8

Old 08-19-2016, 01:57 PM

167 posts, read 124,300 times
1. All the short racing competitions of every sort. Especially Usain Bolt, keirin (track cycling), some of the swims, some canoes.

2. Rugby was cool, ended too quickly

3. Wrestling and judo was great. I didn't see much of it, sadly.

In general, I prefer to watch stuff that I don't really see otherwise outside of Olympics.

Soccer is good, but there's plenty of better soccer (even right now, during the Olympics, you can watch Champions League qualifiers and good league games). I did watch several women's games, because Olympics is one of two times in 4 years when you can see some meaningful women's soccer.

I don't like Olympic basketball much, USA always wins, and on top of that this year they are such friggin posers, smiling and joking and posing for cameras all the time in between plays. I am going to miss Tim Duncan. But the Croatia - Serbia game was great, so much good play and history and tension there!

Old 08-19-2016, 03:13 PM

389 posts, read 327,657 times
Swimming
Gymnastics
Indoor Bike Racing

Old 08-19-2016, 04:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,667,389 times
most sports i can watch, ones like golf and soccer, i cant. dont like hockey either.

gymnastics is always fun to marvel at since the athletes can d things i never could.

track a field is fun, the track part because speed and endurance in some events is involved, and the field part since technique is as important as strength.

for the most part basketball is always fun to watch for me, except the pro game in the US. the international rules are fun though.

swimming, rowing, etc. also hold my interest. the fighting sports dont anymore, they used to but these days not so much, though fencing interests me.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:22 AM

7,571 posts, read 6,031,827 times
Women's beach volleyball, unless it is cold and rainy

You can have gymnastics and USA basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports