Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times

Advertisements

I watched the United States obliterate Serbia in the Olympic Gold Medal basketball game. Even before the first tick of the game clock, Serbia had essentially no chance of winning. It was Serbia against a basketball powerhouse. As I watched the game unfold, a memory came to mind that perhaps says something concerning the overwhelming American victory, and maybe in some way, sports in general.

When I was about 14 years old I would occasionally play in neighborhood sporting competitions with other boys. One of the kids was Michael Crouse. At that time, Michael was sort of semi-retarded 12 year-old. He went to regular public schools but took special classes. Michael had a basketball hoop on his garage. The hoop was not of regulation height. It was somewhere around 7'. I know that at age 14 I could dunk on it. Anyway, one day I was shooting on the basket with Michael when he challenged me to a game to 15 baskets. I agreed.

At the 6 basket point of the game I was winning by something like 6-1. Michael was lucky to have gotten the one basket. At about the 10 basket point, little, 12 year-old Michael was getting very upset just out of pure frustration. I ended up winning with a score of something like 15-3. I won because I was a helluva lot better. I was older, bigger, stronger, and about everything else. I found no reason to feel good about the victory. The win was meaningless.

I learned that day that for a victory in an atheistic event to have value, the competitors have to have the same advantages and opportunities to succeed. That includes things like inherent abilities. I did not watch the Gold Medal ceremony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 AM

119 posts, read 88,957 times
There are a few ways men's basketball can lose, even if they have greater individual talent, but they're all one where the world has to cross their fingers. The first way is when the team devolves into a bunch of idiots who believe their individual athletic ability will beat an entire team. So there's no ball movement and guys just hold the ball for the whole shot clock and then force it up. The second way is when assembling the roster, so many US players opt out that a lot of times it's like four guards and a fake center. But, yeah, in general, winning a gold is pretty pointless.

It's even worse for women's basketball, but then again nobody cares about women's basketball, if we're being honest.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:59 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Not sure if you watched all of the games, but the US came close to losing two of them. We also lost in international competition with a prime Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Paul.

The U.S. still has the best basketball talent but the gap between us and the rest of the world has closed significantly since the 1992 Dream Team.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:10 AM

119 posts, read 88,957 times
Actually, the point was made by the commentators that the issue is that while the US constantly "reloads" players, the non-US teams don't. So, yeah, a few years ago, the Gasol brothers were great, but now they're not really much of a threat if they're the only ones on their team. France is relying on Tony Parker, essentially. The period where US basketball was on the rocks was a perfect storm. That was when there were lots of great international players and sort of weak US talent often due to people opting out. I don't really see a lot of superstar international players, although I'm also not terribly interested in basketball in general.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:31 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schempgo View Post
There are a few ways men's basketball can lose, even if they have greater individual talent, but they're all one where the world has to cross their fingers. The first way is when the team devolves into a bunch of idiots who believe their individual athletic ability will beat an entire team. So there's no ball movement and guys just hold the ball for the whole shot clock and then force it up. The second way is when assembling the roster, so many US players opt out that a lot of times it's like four guards and a fake center. But, yeah, in general, winning a gold is pretty pointless.

It's even worse for women's basketball, but then again nobody cares about women's basketball, if we're being honest.
I guess my overall point is: I just don't see any reason to celebrate in the defeat of a team that has far less talent and resources. In this case, it happens to be an Olympic basketball Gold Medal game, but if you look around, there are other examples. It doesn't mean a defeat of the stronger team is completely impossible, it's just that it is no great achievement to be the far more powerful team, and the team with all the advantages, and win.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:52 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
They have basketball in the Olympics?! Who would have thought it! Football, rugby or basketball don't belong in the olympic games if you ask me.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
They have basketball in the Olympics?! Who would have thought it! Football, rugby or basketball don't belong in the olympic games if you ask me.
Europe has had professional basketball leagues since the 1950s.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:48 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,118 times
Basketball is quite popular in some Asian and European countries. When I was in China, the PE class always teaches basketball.
I don't like to watch it much but occasionally I play it.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:59 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Europe has had professional basketball leagues since the 1950s.
I know they have basketball in the old Yugoslavia (I was married to a Croatian) but I don't think they have basketball anywhere else do they? I don't think we have one here anyway.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:23 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I watched the United States obliterate Serbia in the Olympic Gold Medal basketball game. Even before the first tick of the game clock, Serbia had essentially no chance of winning. It was Serbia against a basketball powerhouse. As I watched the game unfold, a memory came to mind that perhaps says something concerning the overwhelming American victory, and maybe in some way, sports in general.

When I was about 14 years old I would occasionally play in neighborhood sporting competitions with other boys. One of the kids was Michael Crouse. At that time, Michael was sort of semi-retarded 12 year-old. He went to regular public schools but took special classes. Michael had a basketball hoop on his garage. The hoop was not of regulation height. It was somewhere around 7'. I know that at age 14 I could dunk on it. Anyway, one day I was shooting on the basket with Michael when he challenged me to a game to 15 baskets. I agreed.

At the 6 basket point of the game I was winning by something like 6-1. Michael was lucky to have gotten the one basket. At about the 10 basket point, little, 12 year-old Michael was getting very upset just out of pure frustration. I ended up winning with a score of something like 15-3. I won because I was a helluva lot better. I was older, bigger, stronger, and about everything else. I found no reason to feel good about the victory. The win was meaningless.

I learned that day that for a victory in an atheistic event to have value, the competitors have to have the same advantages and opportunities to succeed. That includes things like inherent abilities. I did not watch the Gold Medal ceremony.
NO country HAS to enter the basketball games.

I am old enough to remember when we sent COLLEGE players ONLY and the USSR countries used ALL PROS.

we usuallu lost and one of the USUALLY won.

We KNEW it was "rigged" bur, played anyway.

It is called Freedom of choice".

If you don't lie it, don't watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports