Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 07:45 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to a remarkable man-----the legendary Vin Scully, today awarded the freedom award, which the highest award this country can bestow on a citizen.
Mr. Scully is a class individual-----it has been a pleasure to listen to him for these many years. He is a remarkable broadcaster-----he sets a scene and paints a broadcasting picture better than anyone I have ever heard----and furthermore he is just a very decent and genuine man. Thank you for your remarkable career, and enjoy your retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 11:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
it seems most of the greats, like vin scully, got started in radio where the announcer had to keep the audiences in rapt attention. and of all the great announcers, i think vin scully was the best of all of them.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:37 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
Congrats to him. He deserves it.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I remember him clear back to the year the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles. that was the year hubby and I were married. Hubby was a sports writer for a small paper in the area and we got free tickets to watch them play in the coliseum. The following year they were still playing in the same place, I was very pregnant and can remember climbing God only knows how many steps to get to our seats, but it was worth it.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I remember him clear back to the year the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles. that was the year hubby and I were married. Hubby was a sports writer for a small paper in the area and we got free tickets to watch them play in the coliseum. The following year they were still playing in the same place, I was very pregnant and can remember climbing God only knows how many steps to get to our seats, but it was worth it.
Thanks for sharing that memory. I think people have to experience the Coliseum to appreciate all those steps. Sitting in the cheap seats is like watching the game from another zip code.

Vinny's a treasure. I was so happy he was honored by the president. I can remember my first Dodgers game and my aunt double checking that she had her radio in her purse so she could listen to Vin call the game. It was a ritual for Dodger fans. I read, not to long ago, that because so many people were listening to Vin's broadcast the players could hear it down on the field.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:46 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Well deserved. Best. Baseball. Announcer. Ever.

Remember this one? (the Gibson World Series HR.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U157X0jy5iw

2 minutes of perfection...and as someone mentions in the comments (of the video), for over a minute Vin doesn't say a word.....he knows that less is more.

I was lucky to grow up in LA in the late 60s and 70s so I could listen to Vin (probably 30-40 times a year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports