Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I hear you. With the ever-changing society, I think the Olympics will be extinct eventually for this very reason, and I'm saying it as someone who loves the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I agree that cities who have the infrastructures will be best able to compete. The debt level resulting from building stadiums, arenas, highway infrastructure and so on is just too massive.
Put that together with the massive corruption on Olympic bidding and it is just a situation that invites skepticism and anger.
Greece is still in chaos after they spent billions they didn't have on the Athens games. I think the I.O.C. realizes that the American cities are not in a position to, nor desire to outlay billions more on sparkling new venues. Our cities have many more intelligent and wise options on how to spend the money----so I just feel that do not look for an impending return of the games to this country----the Olympic committee wants new pristine complexes and not existing structures.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:36 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
----the Olympic committee wants new pristine complexes and not existing structures.

Link?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Link? Listen to their words. They insist on this every time. Smart cities say no, dumb ones plunge their city into crazy debt to appease their collective egos.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The 1976 Olympics in Montreal nearly bankrupted the city as well as the Province of Quebec. The massive debt run up for the Summer Olympics was FINALLY paid up in ... 2006, only 30 years after the games and at great cost to the taxpayers.

Quebec's Big Owe stadium debt is over - Montreal - CBC News
It certainly cost the city lots of money and continues to be a major money drain for its upkeep, apart for a monster truck event once a year and a rock concert once in a while the venue sits empty, a testament to greed and corruption.
I think current cost to host an Olympic games is in the 5 to 20 billion $ range.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Every nation that has hosted the Olympics has faced economic ruin.
The venues and stadiums are ruined and never used again.
God help any nation that hosts the Olympics in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46n373r79p4
Couldn't be more false about Lake Placid. The entire Adirondacks are a mecca for winter sports and tourism.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 PM

166 posts, read 313,789 times
It would make more sense to me to have 4 or 5 cities host the Olympics on a rotating basis. LA, London, Tokyo, and 1 or 2 others. The facilities get re-used and the infrastructure stays put.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:35 PM

245 posts, read 311,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
It would make more sense to me to have 4 or 5 cities host the Olympics on a rotating basis. LA, London, Tokyo, and 1 or 2 others. The facilities get re-used and the infrastructure stays put.
I wanna go even further: Just keep ALL summer games in Greece (God knows they could use the revenue) and All winter games in a place like Sweden. Central time zones and predictable weather too. It's frickin' insane to spend all this money OVER and OVER again just for 2 weeks at a time. I think the novelty of different countries must have worn off already anyway for a lot of people like myself. I imagine that 50 years ago it was much more dramatic to see footage of various mountains and skylines but with the internet today the world seems much smaller anyway. Additionally, the host cities of Athens and Stockholm would get REALLY GOOD at tasks like security and housing if they did it all the time. The same way that NYC specializes in handling UN Assembly meetings, etc. No more instances of the host city being "unprepared" for this or that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports