Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM

14,421 posts, read 20,540,230 times

Advertisements

Very strong field in the Haskell this weekend.

Irish War Cry
Hence
Girvin
Practical Joke
Battle of Midway
Timeline
McCraken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:41 PM

11,343 posts, read 9,240,239 times
1. Girvin - $20.40 $9.20 $4.80
2. McCraken - $7.20 $4.40
3. Practical Joke - $3.80
4. IWC

Thrilling photo with the top 2, Practical Joke was a game close up 3rd. Great race, just saw the replay.

The exacta paid $154.80

$1.00 Superfecta paid $941.10

Last edited by John13; 07-30-2017 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Posted prices, chart up late

Old 08-07-2017, 07:34 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,379,473 times
I guess this thread is mostly about betting, but I'm more a fan of breeding and bloodlines. 2013 Kentucky Derby winner Orb just had his first two winners this summer, Earth, back in June, and Golden Orb, yesterday at Saratoga.

He's standing at Claiborne.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I guess this thread is mostly about betting, but I'm more a fan of breeding and bloodlines.
I just won a tiny show wager with Chastise the off spring of Blame. 21-1 odds.
---------------------------
Anyone follow Andy Serling?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I just won a tiny show wager with Chastise the off spring of Blame. 21-1 odds.
---------------------------
Anyone follow Andy Serling?

I think I saw that race. Saratoga? Congrats.

I don't follow Serling but I do listen to him now and then on NYRA.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I think I saw that race. Saratoga? Congrats.

I don't follow Serling but I do listen to him now and then on NYRA.
Serling and Gabby pick their top 4 on every race and spend 45 minutes before the day to go over each race and who they chose and why. Serling is the worst. He avoids the favorite because of the price. Then he'll take a favorite to try to end the bleeding and loose again. I've never seen anyone fail to pick so few winners on a Saratoga card. He got tired of losing and took the favorite on the race where Pletcher had a 21-1 shot. Gabby took that horse to win and I only played it to show.
Then there is Maggie. I can not wager on a horse because his coat is shiny and he is prancing around the paddock. I can not stand her analysis based on that. And she must have a photographic memory or she makes stuff up. She'll say this guy looks better then I've seen him in years. She watches every horse and their physical condition for years?
What a joke and more of a joke that Serling and she picks very few winners too because she goes by cosmetics.

Gabby..........listen to her and you'll have some success.

As far as the state of horse racing this year we have some interesting scenarios. Arrogate who Baffert has said was the best horse since Secretariat is on a two race losing streak and might be good enough to run in The Classic. Bafftet thinks the Del Mar surface is not made for horses to come off the pace. Maybe he's right.

Then there are the Derby and Preakness winners. Both are on losing streaks and one or both may lose the Travers next Saturday. If they do they we may wonder if the Derby winner was a fluke and the Preakness winner was a fluke.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:09 AM

I tried keeping track of one or two handicappers for a while to figure out their percentages. It wasn't pretty. I'm a wild-hunch better anyway.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:36 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,687,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Serling and Gabby pick their top 4 on every race and spend 45 minutes before the day to go over each race and who they chose and why. Serling is the worst. He avoids the favorite because of the price. Then he'll take a favorite to try to end the bleeding and loose again. I've never seen anyone fail to pick so few winners on a Saratoga card. He got tired of losing and took the favorite on the race where Pletcher had a 21-1 shot. Gabby took that horse to win and I only played it to show.
Then there is Maggie. I can not wager on a horse because his coat is shiny and he is prancing around the paddock. I can not stand her analysis based on that. And she must have a photographic memory or she makes stuff up. She'll say this guy looks better then I've seen him in years. She watches every horse and their physical condition for years?
What a joke and more of a joke that Serling and she picks very few winners too because she goes by cosmetics...
I don't know any horseplayers that would want to be public handicappers. The job requires that you make a selection for every race on the card, even though you wouldn't play some of those races with stolen money. You often have to make your selections without knowledge of the late scratches or the track condition. Many handicappers have to submit their selections the day before the race for publication the following day, and many have to 'cap several cards. I know one 'capper who spends only ten minutes on each race, which amounts to four hours for the three tracks that he covers.

On-air analysts are there to present information which helps horseplayers - especially newcomers - make more informed decisions about a race. Even hardened horseplayers tune in in search of information tidbits that might aid in their own race analysis. Of course, it is not mandatory that you watch or listen to any of them.

As for Serling, there's no middle ground; you either love him or you hate him. He's abrasive, obnoxious, and very opinionated, but one of the most knowledgeable people in the game. OTOH, Maggie is extremely popular. A third generation horsewoman, both her husband and father are trainers, and Maggie works horses in the morning. Her last-minute analysis of a horse's condition is highly valued by many horseplayers.

I think the joke is on people who have little or no understanding of physicality with regards to racehorses. Certain conformations lend themselves to success at certain distances and on certain surfaces. Last-minute paddock updates can be the difference between winning or losing a bet.

No, Maggie doesn't make stuff up. She uses DRF Formulator to refer to past notes, and she watches replays when she's not familiar with a runner.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:09 AM

What I like about TVG's coverage is that you can figure out the approach of SOME of their personnel. Caleb Keller's all about the charts; Bray was a trainer; Gino (no longer there) studied replays, and so on. Some of it can be interesting, even educational.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,687,891 times
Quote:
What I like about TVG's coverage is that you can figure out the approach of SOME of their personnel. Caleb Keller's all about the charts; Bray was a trainer; Gino (no longer there) studied replays, and so on. Some of it can be interesting, even educational.
Right. You may come away with something useful, or treat it as meaningless noise. There is always the mute button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports