Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 08:52 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times

Advertisements

I have been following our local high school since my son is in the Band. I attend every game as either a volunteer or spectator, so I have seen what his high school is up to.

I can say that for one, I do not recall ever seeing a dirtier team on a high school level. The skill level of the players is lacking, so they resort to flagrant unsportsmenlike actions when they get frustrated. They are probably the most penalized team in the league. They often get 10 to 15 personal fouls and such per game, while the opponents get 2 or 3 At least ONCE every game, win or lose, a fight breaks out on the field. Not sure who starts it , but it happens.
They also seem to have no discipline at play execution, which would explain partly the losing season. I feel sorry for the players because it cannot be a lot of fun for them. Especially when one gets disqualified, which I have seen twice this season. .

I place the blame solely on the coaches. Clearly they have no control over the players, or else at this level, this would not be happening. OR perhaps they do not care, and relish in the reputation of being a dirty team. I am all for being a tough physical team, even though a few guys on defense do not even know how to tackle.....DO the coaches encourage this ?
I remember a coach in middle school we had, long ago, who would morph into the devil himself if one of us had ever been flagged for face-masking, un-sportsmanlike conduct, illegal blocks and the like. It did not happen because we feared him more than our opponents! He ran the team.

Not sure who runs the team, or why this happens. But for all I know,maybe that is the norm now. Maybe that is the new standard of high school football....I have been away from watching the game for decades......maybe high school football has become part sport, part MMA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
I stick by this quote (not mine):

"Sports do not BUILD character, sports REVEAL character"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports