Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times

Advertisements

Pre game shows are all terrible and no substance. I don't mind former athletes. Most of them are providing color commentary and not play by play. Al Michaels/Nantz are great play by play. Collinsworth and Aikman are great color guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So I guess Tony Romo is being hired as a sports commentator to replace Phil Sims. I'm so sick of seeing washed up athletes who aren't nearly as good as real commentators dominating every sports show. Some of the NFL shows have a table of 6 guys, all former athletes who just ramble on and suck.
Some of the shows are overdone and I agree regarding the overuse of retired players which is probably done for star power/ratings versus commentator skills. So few are truly good at it and/or lack the annoying favoritism for certain teams and owners. Of the current crop of former players I would say Dan Fouts, Steve Tasker and Ronde Barber are least offensive and not "mute" worthy.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
So I guess Tony Romo is being hired as a sports commentator to replace Phil Sims. I'm so sick of seeing washed up athletes who aren't nearly as good as real commentators dominating every sports show. Some of the NFL shows have a table of 6 guys, all former athletes who just ramble on and suck.
They also know way more then some "Professional" commentators. They know the coaches, the players, have had meetings with them and even had dinners together.

Yeah, I'll take any "Washed up" pro who knows the very people they're talking about instead of some commentator who hasn't a clue as to the people he's talking about.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:06 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
I'm sick of former pro athletes in general. You had your day in the sun, move on.

Stop sucking dry what you used to be. Yeah there will be those stalker fans who still remember this or that. Get a life.

You played a game with a ball, big deal. Cure cancer and I'll be impressed.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Great insight there. You should be on a corporate advisory board.
I'll leave that job to those who lack common sense and basic knowledge.
Do you have a position on an advisory board?

Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
What I'm sick of .... is idiots that clearly have never played a sport in their life
Being hired to do shows and analysis just because they are "good looking" or have a nice voice

Old 04-06-2017, 12:12 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
I will just add that ESPN is the worst. Like having Michael Irving on for example. CBS is the best for football. They have former coaches that know the game and speak proper english. Bob Coscas is great too. He's not an athlete. And I miss the days of Scott Van Pelt and Stewart Scott on sports center. Now they have MIke and Jamel Hill who I can't stand to watch.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:14 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What I'm sick of .... is idiots that clearly have never played a sport in their life
Being hired to do shows and analysis just because they are "good looking" or have a nice voice
Like who??? I seriously doubt there isn't anyone who hasn't at least played in high school.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:16 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
So I guess Tony Romo is being hired as a sports commentator to replace Phil Sims. I'm so sick of seeing washed up athletes...
I'm pretty sick of seeing athletes who have merely retired from active play being referred to as "washed up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I like rbohm's observation about how a quarterback makes the best commentary man. And a lot of them were.

Unfortunately, Johnny Unitas never made it as a commentator. I don't remember seeing any games where he was doing commentary, but from what I understand, network honchos found him to be somewhat over-critical.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:28 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,390,563 times
Quote:
I will just add that ESPN is the worst. Like having Michael Irving on for example. CBS is the best for football. They have former coaches that know the game and speak proper english. Bob Coscas is great too. He's not an athlete. And I miss the days of Scott Van Pelt and Stewart Scott on sports center. Now they have MIke and Jamel Hill who I can't stand to watch.
I'm agree with you for the most part on CBS though NBC has the best IMO, especially Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth. They do a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports