Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
now that the draft is over, there's got to be a few more layoffs waiting for that crew
How did Matt Hasselbeck avoid the layoff list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 04:41 PM

120 posts, read 96,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Outside of college/NBA playoff basketball games that come on ESPN, they have nothing I want to see. First Take, Sports Nation, non-stop NFL shows, etc...I hate them all. First Take was at least worth an occasional watch in the morning when SAS and Skip were together.
Yup,i sill watch first take but sas and skip was priceless

but skip and shannon is still good..

Old 04-29-2017, 06:05 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Good, cut the whole thing. A once-respected sports channel that has become overly politicized and alienated a large amount of its audience.
Ditto that, ESPN got too political when they cut Curt Schilling for having the nerve to talk about homosexuality from his religious viewpoint. That didn't go over too well. Subscribers started leaving at that point.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:11 PM

I don't know how ESPN thinks NFL Countdown will survive next season with no Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer

Old 04-30-2017, 03:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Ditto that, ESPN got too political when they cut Curt Schilling for having the nerve to talk about homosexuality from his religious viewpoint. That didn't go over too well. Subscribers started leaving at that point.
Actually Schilling has been very respectful of gays. He was one of the first baseball players to acknowledge that he had closeted gay teammates everywhere he played and stated that the locker-room should never be an issue. In fact Schillings views on gay marriage have evolved somewhat due to influences from his wife and children. His son was a member of his schools gay/straight alliance.

It was the horrible meme that Schilling posted on social media, of what many interrupted his depiction of a transgender female, that got him fired. Like I said in a previous post, no other network or sports organization will touch him because of it. I was surprised he remained silent after the Red Sox along with the Patriots, Bruins and Celtics organizations endorsed the MA law that allows trans individuals to use the restroom of choice.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:22 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Do athlete salaries factor into this? It seems wrong they make so much and are forcing all other areas of the industries to make up for such exuberant costs.

The only people who still have cable TV are those who got it bundled that way such that it's actually cheaper to get internet WITH that, as opposed to just getting internet with the cable TV. In that case you're stuck with it, and may as well see what's on.

Also, don't sports bars and other establishments still do sports from cable TV for their establishments? Sure, many people prefer to catch the game live online, or see the highlights, but I'd reckon gathering at a bar to watch the game with others is still a lively pastime.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Do athlete salaries factor into this? It seems wrong they make so much and are forcing all other areas of the industries to make up for such exuberant costs.

The only people who still have cable TV are those who got it bundled that way such that it's actually cheaper to get internet WITH that, as opposed to just getting internet with the cable TV. In that case you're stuck with it, and may as well see what's on.

Also, don't sports bars and other establishments still do sports from cable TV for their establishments? Sure, many people prefer to catch the game live online, or see the highlights, but I'd reckon gathering at a bar to watch the game with others is still a lively pastime.

I still have cable which is combined with the internet and cost me $144 a month. Now after the NBA finals I will cancel the $10 a pay a month for the sports package since I only watch the NFL and NBA. And then add it back the Saturday before the start of the NFL season. But since ESPN is so bad with highlights, I need to keep NBATV around until the NBA Finals is over.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
How is Jessica Mendoza still at ESPN ?

Old 05-01-2017, 09:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
this is only the first round of sacking at E-SPIN, more will soon come as the MLB contract they signed in 2012 begins to drag them below the waves with no means of sustaining their needed advertising revenue due to the growing abandonment of cable services.

ESPN will continue to favor the bombastic idiots that offer up "entertainment" such as Stephen A Smith and Mike & Mike and cut knowledgeable writers such as Jason Stark as they desperately try to hang on to their ratings.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
lol if they pay big $$$ for baseball contract... it's a regional sport at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports